Used all the family names already--just choose something we like/continue tradition?

We’re getting down to the wire with baby boy #2. Our first is [name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_u]Everett[/name_u]. [name_m]Charles[/name_m] is my father’s name and my wife’s grandfather’s name, my grandfather’s name, etc. Lots of family heritage with that name. [name_u]Everett[/name_u] came from the use of both [name_m]Evans[/name_m] and [name_u]Evan[/name_u] in my family. So [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]'s name is full of family history.

This time around, we don’t like any of the male family names available to us. At all. I like both of my brother’s names and would use either in the middle, but can’t choose one (my maiden is already a 2nd middle so using both is out).

I think we’ve agreed on choosing a first name that we like and either just also choosing a middle that we like as well or maybe another E middle to match [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]'s.

What do you think? Because we started with a family-heavy name are we shorting our 2nd of this tradition by just choosing a preferred name or should we suck it up and use a family name we don’t like to be able to follow the tradition?

If you must know, the family names available to us are: [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] (I know this is a nameberry fave, but I can’t get down with it.), [name_m]Robinson[/name_m], [name_f]Wellesley[/name_f]. That’s basically it. We could maybe get away with [name_m]Wells[/name_m].

You don’t have to use family names again. I would sit down with your husband and make a list of names that are meaningful to you as a couple and go from there.

Maybe instead of using a family members given name, use a name with the same meaning or has a meaning that applies to your family member. Another idea would be to use the zodiac sign/ birth month/ birth stone/ etc of a loved one. Also, another idea instead of [name_f]Wellesley[/name_f] or [name_m]Wells[/name_m] could be [name_m]Wesley[/name_m]. I hope this helps!

Have you considered related names, such as [name_m]Arto[/name_m] or [name_m]Arturo[/name_m] for [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], or [name_u]Robin[/name_u] or [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] for [name_m]Robinson[/name_m]?

However, if I were in your position and didn’t like the original name or any variants, I would just choose a name that I liked.

I think if we were to decide to use an honor name, I wouldn’t want to stray too far from the original. Something like [name_m]Art[/name_m] or [name_m]Arto[/name_m] might work, but I’m not fond of either.
[name_m]Wells[/name_m] is an example of this. I don’t mind [name_m]Wesley[/name_m], but my wife says that her father and grandfather hated their name being misread as such, so her dad wouldn’t like that as a replacement.

[name_m]Wells[/name_m] [name_m]Robinson[/name_m] would be a very handsome name! But, I think you should just choose names you like.

[name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_m]Asher[/name_m] goes well with [name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_u]Everett[/name_u]. I think [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] is a nice spin on [name_f]Wellesley[/name_f] and [name_m]Asher[/name_m] is similar to [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. Still plenty of family history!

Edit: I just read that your father would not like Wesley, so what about [name_m]Weston[/name_m] [name_m]Asher[/name_m] or [name_m]Wells[/name_m] [name_m]Asher[/name_m]?

I like [name_m]Asher[/name_m] a lot! I had ruled it out as a first name b/c our last name has a lot of SH sound in it, but maybe a consideration for the middle. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you really think it’s close enough to honor [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]?

I think I would consider [name_m]Wells[/name_m] as a middle name, but I don’t like it enough to pull the trigger on it for a first name. Feels too snobby to me.

What do you think of:
[name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Wells[/name_m]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m] [name_m]Asher[/name_m]

Obviously, we’re playing around with using [name_m]Leo[/name_m]. It’s the current front-runner. I wish we liked a longer form, but it’s a no to [name_m]Leonard[/name_m], [name_m]Leon[/name_m], [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m], and [name_m]Leopold[/name_m]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] can’t get behind any of them.

I would suggest choosing a first letter that would honor one of the other family members. Amongst A, R, and W you have a lot of choices. I do like [name_m]Asher[/name_m] or [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m].