Using Fiadh in US?

Considering using the Irish name [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u], but since we live in the US, we are debating the spelling. Would you just go with [name_f]Fia[/name_f] (how it is pronounced)? Or is it reasonable to spell it [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] on the birth certificate but use [name_f]Fia[/name_f] as a sort of nickname/every day spelling?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I’m a stickler here for spellings as close to the original as possible. Especially since I don’t think that [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] is too complicated. People will be confused at first, but it seems worth it to be more authentic in my opinion. My [name_m]SIL[/name_m] has Li@m, Se@mus, Cilli@n, M@l@chy & E@mon. We live in the midwest US. Other than [name_m]Liam[/name_m], they are all mispronounced quite a bit. But usually once someone is corrected once, people get it & it’s not a big deal.

[name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] is adorable, by the way! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

The spelling [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] would be very confusing for the vast majority of Americans. I think I would go for [name_f]Fia[/name_f] just for ease unless you really like the look of the traditional spelling.

I would just go with [name_f]Fia[/name_f] if you’d use it as a first. If it’d be in the middle, I’d stick with [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u].

I like the [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] spelling, but be prepared that you and your daughter would be correcting the spelling/pronunciation a LOT. If that doesn’t bother you, go for it!

I like the [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] spelling but [name_f]Fia[/name_f] would be less complicated

[name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] is more interesting! People will just learn how it is spelt and pronounced, like they did with [name_m]Sean[/name_m].

I always have to spell my name for others but it doesn’t bother me at all.

Hmm…
I think it depends whether it would bother you spending your whole life correcting people on the pronunciation. My dads family are Irish/Scottish and a lot of names in my family people struggle to pronounce after a while it can become frustrating for the person and they wish it was [name_u]Owen[/name_u] rather than [name_m]Eoghan[/name_m] if that makes sense. Me personally I think if your going to use a name from a particular culture you should use the original spelling otherwise you loose the history and culture of the name. For me [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] & [name_f]Fia[/name_f] are completely different names so it depends whether your choosing this name because you specifically want an Irish name or you just like the sound/vibe of it.
If it’s specifically for the culture & history use [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] if it’s because of the sound/vibe use [name_f]Fia[/name_f].
[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps : )

If I were her teacher reading roll call on the first day I’d def say [name_u]Fee[/name_u]-odd. But which correction I’d remember after that.

@tori101 - “If it’s specifically for the culture & history use [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] if it’s because of the sound/vibe use [name_f]Fia[/name_f].”

This is actually a really good point!

I really like the spelling [name_u]Fiadh[/name_u] because I’ve loved Irish names since I was a teen- it’s not intuitive to read but it’s very simple to say and remember. My name is not unknown in the US but there’s like 3 “right” ways to say it and I have to correct people anyway.