Valentina

Hey guys!

While I know that I’m expecting a boy, I still wonder and think about what I would name a baby girl. I only like / ok’d two names: [name]Ingrid[/name] & [name]Paris[/name], but recently, I’ve started to really like [name]Valentina[/name]. Opinions? I know an actress (blanking on the name) recently named her daughter [name]Valentina[/name]; do you think this will cause it to rise in popularity in maybe the next 2-5 years? (if its not already on the rise…)

Also, what do you think about the nickname [name]Lena[/name] (pn [name]LAY[/name]-nuh)? I find both [name]Val[/name] and [name]Tina[/name] to be a bit dated, but I like [name]Lena[/name] so far. I know that [name]Lena[/name] could cause some pronunciation issues; ie. [name]Leena[/name], [name]Layna[/name], Lehna, but what if it was primarily used in speech? My older sister [name]Andrea[/name] went by [name]Andy[/name] with her friends and at home, but she never wrote it down at school or on forms, so she could’ve been spelling it Anndee in her head for all I know. I also know that you can’t always control nicknames (my daughter’s, [name]Sonja[/name]'s, friends call her [name]Sonny[/name] - which I slightly despise - while I call her [name]Sonja[/name] and sometimes, in rapid conversation, [name]Son[/name]), but do you think it would cause too many problems if I tried to just use it as an “at home” nickname? Or, (might as well ask) if she did end up loving it and using it at school / work? If I want it pronounced a certain way, should I teach her / change the spelling?

This may seem totally too soon / early to be thinking about these questions (since I’m not even expecting a girl!), but do you think, because of [name]Valentina[/name]'s length, a nickname is even necessary? My younger sister [name]Tatiana[/name] (same syllables as [name]Valentina[/name]) never went by a nickname. But, I used to try and call her [name]Ana[/name] when I was younger, and she hated it. So, (ultimately), do you think its best to introduce a nickname when they’re young for such a long name (ie. “This is my daughter, [name]Valentina[/name]. She also goes by [name]Lena[/name].”) or just let natural nicknames like [name]Val[/name] or [name]Tina[/name] take over?

Sorry this was long and slightly ramble-y - its late :slight_smile:

Thanks for any opinions!

[name]Rosa[/name]

I think [name]Valentina[/name] is lovely, and I don’t think it’s going to jump up to much because of [name]Selma[/name] Hayek.

You don’t have to give [name]Valentina[/name] a nickname, but it’s nice to have the flexibility and [name]Lena[/name] is delightful :slight_smile:

I agree with [name]Elea[/name]–[name]Valentina[/name] is a wonderful name and I personally love [name]Lena[/name] as a nickname!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Valentina[/name] nn [name]Lena[/name]. So pretty!

[name]Valentina[/name] is great!! Especially for a February baby!!

I love it! Beautiful, still unusual and v feminine!

It’s a beautiful, classic, and romantic name. I actually put it on my short list when I thought I had a girl, even though I am waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too Irish looking to pull it off! Go for it!

[name]Valentina[/name] is very pretty, and I shouldn’t think it’ll become TOO popular … although -ine names, such as [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Emmeline[/name], do seem to be on the rise.

[name]Lena[/name] is a great nn, and it’s nice that she would have so many nn options.

I love the name [name]Valentina[/name]!
[name]Lena[/name] is a lovely idea for a nickname.
[name]Both[/name] are names I would definitely consider using myself.