Valo?

What do you think to the name [name_u]Valo[/name_u] for a boy?

LOVE! :heart_eyes:

(saying that it’s not a sentence, so here ya go :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:)

2 Likes

I love it too. I love how it means light also. [name_f]My[/name_f] partner has both Scandinavian and Scottish ancestry and I really want to use [name_u]Valo[/name_u] as a middle name option.

3 Likes

Oh, wow, what a handsome name! I really love it! I like that its uncommon and unexpected, but still has familiar sounds.

2 Likes

Is it pronounced Vay-low or Va-lo (like in the word apple)?

I pronounce it as Vay-low like halo I believe that to be the common pronounciation too. I just really like it.

3 Likes

Ok, thanks! Yes, I think it’s a very cool name!

1 Like

Oh, I was pronouncing it as val-oh, like [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]. The vay-lo pronunciation is okay too, but I don’t like it as much.

2 Likes

Totally gorgeous. I had forgotten about this name so thank you for reminding me :heart: It’s fabulous!

1 Like

I think you can pronouce it either way! Hah. It’s not a hard y sound if that makes sense. I’m [name_f]English[/name_f] and I’m just trying to describe how I say it. Which sounds more like vel-lo?

1 Like

Great meaning, how is it pronounced?

Vale-oh
[name_u]Val[/name_u]-oh

Something else?

That is pretty much how you can say the name. I guess it dependent on accent and where you are from too. I prefer the vale oh sound myself.

Difficult to explain since [name_f]English[/name_f] doesn’t have the same vowel sounds as Finnish, but the Finnish pronunciation is kinda like Valour without the R.

1 Like

Oh cool that’s nicer than any way I was pronouncing it. I’m not versed in Finnish pronunciation but I know danish, Swedish and Norwegian vowels. (Not that Finnish is in any way connected with those languages) but that’s what I’m imagining

2 Likes

So I guess it’s hard A sound?

Yep - looked around and was actually able to find a recording of people pronouncing it! valo pronunciation: How to pronounce valo in Finnish, Portuguese, Esperanto, Malagasy :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Amazing it’s like [name_u]Valor[/name_u] pretty much. I guess it also sounds great as vay-lo rhyming with halo too…

1 Like

Absolutely! Vay-lo wouldn’t be recognisable as the Finnish word for light but sounds really nice as a new name for sure.

1 Like

Thank you for your input :full_moon_with_face::full_moon_with_face::full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

I prefer the [name_u]Val[/name_u]-oh pronunciation, but Vay-lo is also nice.
Its fresh and new, I like it!

1 Like