Variations of Nelly

We’re torn between [name_u]Romy[/name_u] and [name_u]Nelly[/name_u] at the moment but I’m curious to everyone’s thoughts on different spellings of [name_u]Nelly[/name_u]?

My generation likely has a strong association w the rapper [name_u]Nelly[/name_u] (even though her generation likely wouldn’t) so my husband suggested [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] instead. I’m cool w [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] but would [name_f]Neli[/name_f] or [name_f]Nelie[/name_f] be acceptable as well? Slightly more unique?

Our other 2 kids have traditional names w traditional spelling of them but I’m still open to spelling [name_u]Nelly[/name_u] differently since it’s a very simple/almost plain name

3 Likes

Nellie is lovely! The “[name_f]Nellie[/name_f]” spelling is the most traditional, so I definitely like it.

1 Like

I agree that [name_f]Neli[/name_f] or [name_f]Nelie[/name_f] look incomplete and I would wonder how they were pronounced as well. I really like [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], [name_u]Nelly[/name_u], and [name_f]Nell[/name_f] too.

2 Likes

I adore [name_f]Nell[/name_f] but the middle name is [name_f]Claire[/name_f] so I think we’ll end up w [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] just for the sake of flow!

1 Like

You could do [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], which I prefer. I think the rapper has past his prime but might occasionally be brought up.

You could also maybe combine your two choices and go with [name_u]Romilly[/name_u] if you wanted

I think maybe Nelliee might work but i don’t know about the extra e :thinking:

I love [name_f]Nellie[/name_f]! (And [name_f]Nell[/name_f].) I don’t know anything about the rapper, so it probably won’t be a big deal to most people, especially if you spell it [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] instead of [name_u]Nelly[/name_u].

I’d spell it [name_u]Nelly[/name_u] or [name_f]Nellie[/name_f]. The others would require constant correction: “No, just one L”.

Love the name!

2 Likes

I prefer [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] or just [name_f]Nell[/name_f]! I agree that the other spellings look incomplete.

Yep, I love [name_f]Nellie[/name_f]! This spelling looks the most traditional to me. [name_f]My[/name_f] great grandma was just [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], so I kind of love it. And I think it’s the most common spelling.

I adore [name_u]Romy[/name_u] and like [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] tolerably well.

I prefer just plain [name_f]Nell[/name_f], but [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] would be my preferred spelling for the nn.

You could name her [name_u]Nelly[/name_u] or [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] and wait for her to become a ninth grader and she’d likely change the spelling to [name_f]Neli[/name_f] or [name_f]Nelie[/name_f] for a time on her own!

Nelie though would be pronounced Knee’-lee, as in short for [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f], etc.

I prefer [name_f]Nell[/name_f] as well but doesn’t flow w [name_f]Claire[/name_f] as easily!

I really like the spelling [name_f]Nellie[/name_f]

1 Like

What about [name_f]Nell[/name_f] [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] or [name_f]Nell[/name_f] [name_f]Claret[/name_f] or [name_f]Nell[/name_f] [name_f]Clarimond[/name_f] or [name_f]Nell[/name_f] [name_f]Clary[/name_f] or [name_f]Nell[/name_f] [name_f]Clarion[/name_f]? [name_m]Just[/name_m] thoughts.

It’s my grandmothers name so I want to use it straightforward, otherwise I’d be totally open to switching it up!

Understood!

1 Like

[name_f]Nellie[/name_f]/Nelly is such a beautiful name!!

I would pronounce [name_f]Neli[/name_f] and [name_f]Nelie[/name_f] like NEE-lee; differently from [name_u]Nelly[/name_u] or [name_f]Nellie[/name_f]. And there is something about the two ls together that I love :wink: So I wouldn’t go for it but it’s not bad! See what you feel like when the time comes. :wink:

ooh [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] is ADORABLE!! [name_f]Nella[/name_f] is also an option if you are still looking :wink:

1 Like

I agree that [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] works very well. I think [name_f]Nella[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] would be a lovely name, with [name_u]Nelly[/name_u]/Nellie as a really sweet nickname. [name_f]Nella[/name_f] (but as [name_f]Nela[/name_f], though pronounced the same) is actually quite popular in parts of Central Europe.

1 Like

I do like [name_f]Nella[/name_f]! Trying to get my husband on board

1 Like