Vela-Mira (NOTE: I accidentally reset the votes so please come again)

My latest love – Although [name_f]Kismet[/name_f]-[name_f]Ann[/name_f] “[name_u]Kit[/name_u]” [name_f]Sienna[/name_f] is still #1. I’m worried they are too similar. I also like [name_f]Mira[/name_f]-[name_f]Vela[/name_f], as that’s fourth generation “mi” names – [name_f]My[/name_f] grandfather [name_u]Michael[/name_u], mother M!chelle, & my aunt is trying for a baby, who will get the name (in either first or middle) [name_u]Michael[/name_u] or [name_f]Michaela[/name_f] after my grandpa. I just think that [name_f]Mira[/name_f]-[name_f]Vela[/name_f] blends together into ‘meer-ihv-ay-luh’ or something. I prefer the look of [name_f]Vela[/name_f]-[name_f]Mira[/name_f] but the sound of [name_f]Mira[/name_f]-[name_f]Vela[/name_f].

So knowing this, [name_f]Mira[/name_f]-[name_f]Vela[/name_f] or [name_f]Vela[/name_f]-[name_f]Mira[/name_f]?
  • Mira-[name_f]Vela[/name_f]
  • Vela-[name_f]Mira[/name_f]
  • Both are beautiful & go with what you love! <3
  • I can’t imagine either on a real baby. Please don’t use this name.

0 voters

Mira-[name_f]Vela[/name_f] does blend very much into one name, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing. It’s quite awkward to say if you treat it as two names hyphenated - their stresses are too similar - but if you smush it (Miravela), you get an easily flowing first name in the likes of [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f]. I don’t know if Miravela would be your style, but I think it’s definitely one for consideration. Velamira doesn’t work quite as well because while -vela is a comfortable ending (a little reminiscent of the -bella names), mira feels much more like a beginning - and you can continue the Mi- tradition!

3 Likes

Miravela is lovely. :heart:

I’m just worried that it sets the kid up for mispronunciations even more than before — Considering how I pronounce [name_f]Vela[/name_f] as “VAY-luh”. vehl-LUH is a childhood friend’s last name (& [name_f]Vela[/name_f] is only one letter off as well) & that’s too strong of an association for me, while VEE-luh just makes me think of [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] (JK Rowling opposer here — [name_u]Love[/name_u] the books but not their author). Anyways, I’ll throw it on the list & see if it grows on me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

we’re in agreement on that one!

my instinct for Miravela would be with VAY-luh, although I see the room for confusion. good luck!

2 Likes

I’m guessing [name_f]Mira[/name_f]-[name_f]Vela[/name_f] would be confused with [name_f]Mirabella[/name_f].

^^ Exactly what I was going to say. :slight_smile:

I don’t think you have to lose the hyphen if you don’t want to – [name_f]Mira[/name_f]-[name_f]Vela[/name_f] works. I think the nice thing about it is how well it flows, as if it were one name, unlike a lot of hyphenated names.

2 Likes

@hellobanjo I know this isn’t everywhere, but where I live there is a clear difference between a V sound & a B sound.

I really like the sound of [name_f]Mira[/name_f]-[name_f]Vela[/name_f] / Miravela! I’m not used to hyphenated names so I personally prefer Miravela because I think it could be easier with legal documents and all, but maybe it wouldn’t be an issue. I can’t really speak on the pronunciation issues. I’d say the two of them the same but I’m not sure if it’s because it’s intuitive (I’ve always said [name_f]Vela[/name_f] how you like though) or because I already recognize Miravela as an alternative to [name_f]Mira[/name_f]-[name_f]Vela[/name_f].

Completely agree on the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] thing.

1 Like

Mira-[name_f]Vela[/name_f] flows and looks best to me

1 Like