Veronica vs Bernadette

I am considering either:
[name]Veronica[/name] (possible nn [name]Vera[/name] or [name]Nico[/name])
or
[name]Bernadette[/name] (possible nn [name]Bette[/name] or [name]Birdie[/name])

What are your impressions of these names?

Thank you!!

I love them both, especially the saint connections that they both have. If I had to pick one I would pick [name]Veronica[/name] for the nn [name]Vera[/name]. I am not a fan of [name]Bette[/name] or [name]Birdie[/name] for [name]Bernadette[/name]. I prefer [name]Etta[/name] as the nn for [name]Bernadette[/name].

I love [name]Bernadette[/name]! I hadn’t even thought of that as a possibility as a name I could like before, but I think it’s adorable with either of those nicknames. [name]Veronica[/name] is too popular for me, probably because I’ve met a few

Ooooh I love [name]Etta[/name]! I love that you caught the connection…I love that they’re saint names without screaming RELIGION! If I pick [name]Bernadette[/name] she will totally be nn [name]Etta[/name]! Thank you!

[name]Veronica[/name]! I’m a huge fan. I’ve never heard a nn for it I like – before now! I think [name]Vera[/name] is good. Very fresh and original.

I’ve loved [name]Bernadette[/name] since I was about 12 years old. I’d love to see someone use it! There’s a gorgeous [name]Leonard[/name] [name]Cohen[/name] song called “Song of [name]Bernadette[/name]” that made me fall in love with the name and I’ve loved it ever since. [name]Veronica[/name] is a perfectly nice name too but in my mind the [name]Archie[/name] Comics connection is a strike against it. I don’t think it makes it unusable though!

Aww your welcome! I definitely think that it is a subtle connection but definitely still there :slight_smile: Adding [name]Etta[/name] could swing my vote to [name]Bernadette[/name] but I still really love [name]Vera[/name]! I don’t think you could wrong either way :slight_smile:

I prefer [name]Veronica[/name], but if you like the name [name]Vera[/name], go with that rather than using it as a nickname. [name]Vera[/name] is much prettier than [name]Veronica[/name], [name]IMO[/name].

Ooooh I love Etta! I love that you caught the connection…I love that they’re saint names without screaming RELIGION! If I pick Bernadette she will totally be nn Etta! Thank you!

ummm, I don’t think that they ‘scream religion’ but they certainly do scream ‘Catholic’. At least they do in my country. [name]Both[/name] of these names are used by devout Catholic families for their daughters - normally with the middle name [name]Mary[/name].

I don’t think this is a bad thing BTW but worth knowing if you think you are going under the radar!

Traditionally [name]Veronica[/name] was the woman who wiped [name]Christ[/name]'s face in the Stations of the [name]Cross[/name] (she isn’t named in the bible) the name [name]Veronica[/name] means ‘true image’ as in the image of [name]Christ[/name] on the cloth. St [name]Bernadette[/name] is much more modern.

The Bernadettes I have met tend to use [name]Bernie[/name] and as such I prefer [name]Veronica[/name] :slight_smile: They are both beautiful names.

[QUOTE=mmljar1;1400589]ummm, I don’t think that they ‘scream religion’ but they certainly do scream ‘Catholic’. At least they do in my country. [name]Both[/name] of these names are used by devout Catholic families for their daughters - normally with the middle name [name]Mary[/name].

I don’t think this is a bad thing BTW but worth knowing if you think you are going under the radar!

What country? I’m in [name]America[/name] and I’m Catholic and these names aren’t that popular here/in my community.

I love [name]Veronica[/name]! I also like [name]Vera[/name] as a stand-alone name. [name]Bernadette[/name] is kind of old ladyish for my taste.

[name]Bernadette[/name] and [name]Veronica[/name] are both awesome! Would make a great sibset :slight_smile:

[name]Bernadette[/name] is dated and old sounding, and the first and only nickname that comes to mind is “[name]Bernie[/name]”. [name]Veronica[/name] is lovely and sounds fresh and fun :slight_smile:

I’ve known Bernadettes who have gone by [name]Birdie[/name], [name]Bunny[/name] & [name]Bette[/name] (my favorite of which is [name]Bette[/name]!), so [name]Bernie[/name] certainly isn’t the only option. I like the name [name]Veronica[/name] but most I know have gone by “[name]Ronnie[/name]” which I do not like at all.

I love [name]Veronica[/name]! It’s on our short-list if we ever have a daughter. And [name]Vera[/name] is the nicest nn option for it, I think. I’m not a huge fan of [name]Bernadette[/name]. It makes me think of the character on Big Bang [name]Theory[/name] and her nasally voice. A few years ago I would have thought it was very old-fashioned sounding.

I agree. [name]IMO[/name], [name]Veronica[/name] is nice, but [name]Vera[/name] is lovely. [name]Bernadette[/name] is cute too, though my preferred nickname is [name]Bernie[/name] rather than [name]Etta[/name].

Now I am thinking [name]Veronica[/name] nn Vinca & [name]Bernadette[/name] nn [name]Bunny[/name]

I love both names.

I only know one [name]Bernadette[/name] who was kind of a stalwart at my place of work and went by [name]Bernie[/name], it’s nice to think of it on a cute little girl though. :slight_smile: The other nicknames are cute as well for [name]Bernadette[/name] :slight_smile: I love [name]Vera[/name] much more than [name]Veronica[/name] as a name rather than a nn.