Veto names - Books/TV/Pop culture/etc

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Berries!

I am curious to know what names you would veto for your child (not judging other parents, just for you, personally) due to a character, actual person, etc.

Also keep in mind that nearly every name can be associated with a villain or someone who did a bad thing. I’m really not putting these names down. [name_m]Just[/name_m] curious about other people’s perspectives :blush:

Here are some of mine:

[name_f]Dolores[/name_f] (from [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m])
[name_m]Donald[/name_m]
[name_m]Harvey[/name_m] (Weinstein)
[name_u]Hillary[/name_u]
[name_m]Jeffrey[/name_m] (Epstein and Dahmer)
[name_f]Karen[/name_f]
[name_f]Katrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Lolita[/name_f] (I’ve seen pets with this name, fortunately no humans yet)
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f] (from The Walking Dead)

I liked [name_u]Tobin[/name_u] for a boy, but [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_u]Tobin[/name_u] is a notorious mass-murderer here in the UK.

Also [name_f]Myra[/name_f] for a girl, for similar reasons.

Bellatrix. Amazing name, but it’s definitely a one-person name to me.

A lot of people are put off [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] because of the “ass turd” joke in The Office, but I still love it.

Roxane. [name_f]Roxie[/name_f] [name_m]Hart[/name_m] and the song “[name_f]Roxanne[/name_f]” are both cool but complex associations.

Also [name_f]Tigerlily[/name_f]. I love the sound and the flower is beautiful, but many Brits associate it with a character in Rupert [name_m]Bear[/name_m] who is a blatant racial stereotype.

Marci
[name_f]Ana[/name_f]-[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] -Lost
[name_u]Valentine[/name_u]- the kingsman
Any [name_f]Bella[/name_f] variant- twilight
[name_m]Severus[/name_m]- [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_u]Andrea[/name_u]- The Walking Dead

Juliet - I don’t like her character in Romeo and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. In fact, unpopular opinion, I don’t like the play at all. But I LOVE her character in Psych!!

Delphine. I was looking at the comments for the name yesterday and though I love it it is apparently really associated with an instagram girl who tried to sell her dirty bathwater and then got banned…sorry if I got that wrong and no offense to her fans I have no clue what she was doing…but yeah

Jack - it seems like all Jacks in books, movies, and tv shows are bad or morally questionable. Take Little Men for example. And Jack the Ripper is really bad as well. Bummer cause my Opa’s name is [name_m]Jack[/name_m] (well [name_m]John[/name_m] C. LN but he goes by [name_m]Jack[/name_m])

Nellie - [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] Oleson from the Little House book series and TV show

There are not many names that are ruined for me!

@Mickeywich - Same with [name_u]Andrea[/name_u]! In the comics she lives much longer, so she probably has a positive character arch… But yeah, I agree with the association :confused:

It’s also the same for me with [name_f]Bella[/name_f]. I think of [name_u]Twilight[/name_u] and [name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f] from [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] @katinka :grimacing:

@EJpuddlejumper - I somehow forgot about [name_m]Jack[/name_m] the ripper! This name makes me think of a half human/half angel character from Supernatural. He’s kinda a mix of good and bad (as most are, on that show). And from [name_m]Parks[/name_m] & Rec, a character gives birth on Halloween so she names the baby [name_m]Jack[/name_m], which I think is adorable!

2 Likes

Mostly for me it’s Biblical names! [name_f]Jezebel[/name_f] for example is a pretty cool name but uh, no thanks for that association.

I’m not one who discounts a name because of cultural opinion. However, there are names I won’t use as first names if they’re currently names of family we relate to on a regular basis, but they could be used as middle names (or their variants could be used as first names). Also, I refuse to use the FNs of my nieces and nephews. I always feel like I’m choosing my favorite when I do that, and I don’t feel it is fair or right.

On the other hand, I do have a few names that are on my veto list:

• Jąmęš - A person from my own life. Although I love Jąmîšøn nn Jąmîę so it’s an internal struggle for me.
  • Kąthęrînę/Çąthęrînę/Kątę/Kątîę/Kąthŷ - A couple of different people from my life. I won’t use the spelling variants for these names either.
  • Mîçhąęł/Mîçhęął - I have to use spell check to make sure I spell it correctly every time and I won’t put my inability to spell their name on my child. I will use Mîkę, Mîçąh, Mîkęł, Mîçkęŷ, Mîkî or another variation in its place.

These are a few names I really like but just couldn’t use. I could make a whole different list of names I just don’t like.

Asher/Ashton
[name_f]Bernadette[/name_f] - Big Bang [name_u]Theory[/name_u]
[name_u]Christian[/name_u] - love it but I’m not religious
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]/Elijah
[name_m]Eric[/name_m]/Erica
[name_f]Jasmine[/name_f] - like it but no Disney [name_f]Princess[/name_f]
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f] - Grew up the show Facts of Life
[name_m]Nathan[/name_m]/Nathaniel
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] - another ruined by Disney
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] - SOs exDW

@midwinter - I will have to look into that name a bit more! [name_f]My[/name_f] baby name, if I have a girl, is [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]. From the description of [name_f]Jezebel[/name_f] on this site, they seem similar - Women who were once considered evil and bad, but can now be seen as feminist icons. So [name_f]Jezebel[/name_f] actually might be the name for me if I have a second girl :rofl: But as far as Biblical associations, ones I would quickly veto are [name_m]Judas[/name_m] and [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]. All I hear is “doubting [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]”

@shells15 - Yeah, I get those personal experiences 100% … Mine is [name_u]Kasey[/name_u] (and all spelling variations)

1 Like

Lilith is definitely more of a usable association for me! [name_f]Jezebel[/name_f] was the power behind the throne but the NB page makes her sound like a less awful person than she was. For the same reason I wouldn’t use the majority of kings’ names, unfortunately. But the [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] association doesn’t bother me at all!

[name_m]Adam[/name_m] - name of someone I wish I’d never met

[name_m]Daniel[/name_m] - there was a kid at school called [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] who had extremely poor hygiene and he’s the first person who comes to mind when I hear the name, even though I know others with this name

[name_m]Peter[/name_m] & [name_m]Stephen[/name_m] - two of the most popular names among UK serial killers

[name_u]Courtenay[/name_u] (this spelling only) - she was the most annoying person I knew in school who hated when people pronounced her name like [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] instead of court-tennay. I can still here her correcting people over it :sweat_smile:

There’s probably loads more but this is what comes to mind right now

@midwinter - Thank you for explaining!

@Carys1 - I am in the US so this post has me learning about true crime in the UK! Thank you for your input! And [name_u]Courtenay[/name_u] sounds like the worst :sweat:

1 Like

Arrietty(Borrowers)
[name_f]Brynn[/name_f](an abusive friend)
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m](I can’t after reading All The [name_u]Bright[/name_u] Places)
[name_u]Scout[/name_u](To Kill A Mockingbird and it’s not wearable as an adult)

My personal veto list:
[name_m]Adolf[/name_m] (Hitler & Eichmann)
[name_m]Rudolph[/name_m] (Hess)
[name_m]Hermann[/name_m] (Goering)
[name_m]Heinrich[/name_m] (Himmler)
[name_m]Byron[/name_m] (this narcissistic buttwad my family knew)
[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] (said narcissistic buttwad’s very creepy brother)
[name_m]Mortimer[/name_m] (“[name_m]Mort[/name_m]” is the [name_u]French[/name_u] word for death, and [name_m]Mortimer[/name_m] Mouse is a total buttwad)
[name_m]Jeffrey[/name_m] (Epstein & Dahmer)
[name_m]Harvey[/name_m] (Weinstein)
[name_m]Myron[/name_m] (rhymes with [name_m]Byron[/name_m])
[name_m]Dudley[/name_m] (it has “dud” in it)
[name_m]Donald[/name_m] (Trump, plus I think the name’s boring)
[name_m]Jared[/name_m] (Kushner & the Subway guy)
[name_u]Micah[/name_u] (like it, but I promised my mom I wouldn’t use it for either gender because of an awful woman she knew with this name)

Ilse (Koch)
[name_f]Ivanka[/name_f] (Trump)
[name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f] (I’m sorry, but I think spelling [name_f]Heaven[/name_f] backwards is tacky)
[name_f]Dolores[/name_f] (Umbridge, plus it means sorrow)
[name_f]Jezebel[/name_f] (bad Biblical association)
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f] (waaay too popular where I live)
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] (see [name_f]Delilah[/name_f])
[name_f]Vera[/name_f] (a former friend of mine who backstabbed me just because I was friends with her ex-boyfriend)
[name_f]Phyllis[/name_f] (looks like syphilis)
[name_f]Myrtle[/name_f] (the mean girl from [name_f]Lilo[/name_f] & Stitch)
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u] (boring)
[name_f]Paige[/name_f] (boring)
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f] ([name_f]Rachel[/name_f] [name_u]Berry[/name_u] from Glee forever ruined this name for me)
[name_f]Hortense[/name_f] (the first syllable puts me off)
[name_f]Helga[/name_f] (see [name_f]Hortense[/name_f])
[name_f]Olga[/name_f] (I don’t like the way it sounds)
[name_f]Bertha[/name_f] (Big [name_f]Bertha[/name_f])
[name_u]Micah[/name_u] (like it, but I promised my mom I wouldn’t use it for either gender because of an awful woman she knew with this name)
[name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f] (Lestrange)

Derrick - I wouldn’t use it due to the similarity to my own name, but he was a developmentally delayed man I knew who is not a role model.
P@mela - His hippy, enabling mother, she had a falling out with my mother.
[name_f]Carolyn[/name_f] - [name_f]My[/name_f] great aunt of whom I’ve heard no good things.