Vibe Check: American Imogen

I’ve been trying to sell my fiance on the name [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], we’re American so it’s not a common name here at all, the Americanized version [name_f]Imogene[/name_f] hasn’t really been used since the Great Depression, so I understand the hesitation.

He just cannot imagine a woman under 80 let alone a baby named [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], so I want to know what type of vibe [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] gives you, like as a kid through adulthood, not a 80 year old woman.

Also if you know a younger person named [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] describe them! Not always true but I find there’s often a bit of a relation between names and personality

1 Like

I know a teenage [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], she’s about college-age now!

She’s very sparky and fun, good energy to be around. She simultaneously gives hippie-cool vibes and also very grounded and a good listener. I think [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is great pick for a girl, and [name_f]Immy[/name_f] (or Gen!!) as nn is so sweet!!

2 Likes

I get sassy and smart vibes. A rough and tumble little girl who climbs trees and gets scraped knees while trying to catch frogs who then grows up into a woman who can command the attention of an entire board room, does all her own car repairs, and was probably debate team captain or something. [name_f]Olive[/name_f]. [name_f]Saffron[/name_f], pumpkin kinds of colors that feel very late summer/early fall.

1 Like

I imagine [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] to be about 15. Very girlish and pretty. Outgoing, friendly, and intelligent. People naturally gravitate towards her and she is well-liked.

1 Like

I do associate [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] with a lot of young, up and coming [name_f]British[/name_f] actresses and so though I realize the name has an old fashioned tinge to it I mostly have no trouble recognizing it as fitting right in with a preppy type of younger crowd.

You are also right that in the US (at least I think in the US/ I’m American) the variant of this lovely girl name that is more popular seems to indeed be [name_f]Imogene[/name_f]. So maybe it is just bias on my part due to the fact I encountered [name_f]Imogene[/name_f] first but I also like [name_f]Imogene[/name_f] (both the sound and the look) a lot more than I like [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] which seems just slightly incomplete to my eyes and ears.

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] gives me bright pink and purple vibes, sparkly and sparky but also solid, strong-willed and determined!

Imogens I’ve known:

• [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] 1 - mid-twenties - highly intelligent, serious but quirky, interested in charity work
  • [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] 2 - aged 10 - friendly, responsible, girly
  • [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] 3 - aged 5 - cheeky, giggly, but shy too
  • [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] 4 - aged 4 - a little stubborn, but very much knew her own mind, determined, dressed as a princess a lot
  • [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] 5 - somewhere in her twenties - an occupational therapist, friendly, hardworking, understanding, bubbly, stylish
1 Like

Firstly love [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] :crystal_ball:

We have a family friend with a daughter named [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] she’s 17 and looking to go to university to study architecture. She is very tall, slim, has beautiful tightly coiled afro hair that she wears naturally, caramel colour skin and brown eyes. Her mother is [name_f]English[/name_f] and her father Nigerian. She is incredibly smart, popular, loves going to Abuja to visit her family and jokingly bullies her older brother K@i. Anyways I always picture her so of course see the name working for a young person.

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is fairly popular in Australia. I really like it - it was on the list for my kid - including because of the “Immy/ Imi” nickname possibility.

The [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] I knew growing up was tall, very pretty, blonde, confident, sporty and pluckish - very much an [name_f]Immy[/name_f].

The other [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] (who is not called Immy) who I still know is dark haired, classically beautiful, clever, dry humoured and cynical.