Vibe check these names!

Working on my boys list and need some vibe checks on some of the names I’m considering. What do you think of these names? Any specific imagery / vibes / type of person you imagine them to be? For context, I am in the southern US. I’ve put some of my thoughts/concerns also. Please give me any and all thoughts and considerations!

[name_m]Brandt[/name_m] - It has a bit of a cowboy feel to me, a bit of a retro 80s/90s feel, and I like those. The -dt ending is unique and appealing for me. I guess the main thing holding me back is that it was the name of the first guy I ever had a crush on… LMAO. So I have to figure out if that association is too much for me or not. But I’m also curious as to the vibes and opinions of this name are.

[name_m]Destin[/name_m] - It’s a really nice sounding name! I sometimes wonder if it’s too mid-2000s though.

[name_u]Joss[/name_u] - does this work on its own as a first name? I’m not sure if it’s too nickname-y.

[name_m]Saul[/name_m] - from what I understand about this name, it’s particularly popular in Spanish-speaking communities, of which I am not a part of. I was raised Catholic but am not religious so I don’t know if this Biblical name would be a little overkill for someone who ascribes to no religion.

[name_m]Grayling[/name_m] - I randomly encountered this name recently and it’s been on my mind. Apparently it originates in a 1950s radio soap opera and even made it to the edge of the SSA top 1000 in the late 50s. Sometimes I think it’s a really distinctive and eye-catching name, and sometimes I think it sounds like some sort of extraterrestrial (a la “earthling”).

brandt - really confusing vibes to me haha :sob: like it’s half american jock from a 90’s movie and half posh and artsy because the first thing it makes me think of is rembrandt

destin - it does feel very 2000s to me, which isn’t my cup of tea, but i don’t mind the sound and nn des is nice!

joss - i think it does work as a first name! although i’ve never seen it spelled like this before (only josh), joss feels a bit more nicknamey to me for some reason

saul - i really like the sound !! it’s cool and distinct. it feels more jewish to me than anything, but not so strongly that i’d be surprised to see it on someone else. also i’d assume that in hispanic communities it’d be pronounced sah-ool, so if you pronounce it shawl then that kind of “solves” that, but i don’t think it’s a problem even if you do say sah-ool

grayling - hah, i didn’t think extraterrestrial, to me it reads… bird-like? i’d expect to go to an aviary and see a label “eurasian grayling” for example if that doesn’t sound silly and nonsensical :sweat_smile: i get the appeal of the sound but to me it just doesn’t feel name-like

1 Like

omg it doessssssss sound like a bird I’ll never be able to unhear this

[name_m]Destin[/name_m] looks like the butt cream

[name_m]Brandt[/name_m] looks like [name_m]Brant[/name_m] with a silent d or kre8tiv [name_m]Brent[/name_m].

[name_m]Saul[/name_m] isn’t such a great name, IMO because… The OT [name_m]Saul[/name_m] seems like an ideal Israelite leader but is eventually overtaken with jealousy and dies (that’s the very short version haha). The NT [name_m]Saul[/name_m] is a Christian-murdering man saved by [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] who turns his bloodthirst into a life committed to bringing many to know the [name_m]God[/name_m] who saves us from everything we’ve ever done wrong. Not a bad namesake, but then [name_m]God[/name_m] also renames him [name_m]Paul[/name_m], so it’s [name_m]Saul[/name_m] who is associated with being a persecutor. Not my first choice even if I weren’t a [name_u]Christian[/name_u] because of the historical figure with a really nefarious past.

[name_m]Grayling[/name_m] does sound like a bird. [name_u]Or[/name_u] better, a dragon.

1 Like

[name_m]Brandt[/name_m] I certainly agree with on the cowboy, 80s/90s feeling. It feel abit like heavy equipment, quite stereotypical “boy”, rough and tumble

[name_m]Destin[/name_m] I’m really enjoying the sound of. Not sure I’ve ever heard it before. I could see it getting confused with [name_u]Dustin[/name_u] (if [name_u]Dustin[/name_u] is common in your area like it seems to be in mine). But to me it feels more earthy and modern like [name_f]Destiny[/name_f]. The 2000s feeling may be coming from [name_f]Destiny[/name_f]?

[name_u]Joss[/name_u] I’m usually a proponent of full names, but I think [name_u]Joss[/name_u] works just fine as a stand alone. I like it. It has the cowboy feel of [name_m]Brandt[/name_m], while being a bit cooler or more timeless.

[name_m]Saul[/name_m] feels very religious to me. I do like the name, but would likely assume that the giver was aware of the religious connotations.

[name_m]Grayling[/name_m] I totally see what others have mentioned about the bird feeling, but I don’t necessarily consider that a turn off. As you mention, it feels abit other worldly as well and nature like.

[name_m]Brandt[/name_m] - this does have that outdoorsy, cowboy vibe and leans into that sporty, surname-y feel too. The spelling gives it a bit of distinctive twist, a bit of the literary/poetic about it, without being fussy. I can’t help with your association, but it doesn’t strike me as a ‘one-person-only’ name if that means anything!

[name_m]Destin[/name_m] - I don’t think I’ve every heard this before, oddly enough - and I’m liking it a lot better than [name_u]Dustin[/name_u]! I like how it’s an ‘almost-word-name’ but still has a cool, rugged kind of vibe.

[name_u]Joss[/name_u] - a favourite of mine. Gentle but tough, cool but soft - could be bookish, could be outdoorsy, could be arty - it doesn’t feel too nickname for me.

[name_m]Saul[/name_m] - this has a sort of old-man vibe, relaxed, listening to some good music :grin: it does feel quite biblical but I wouldn’t make assumptions based on that.

[name_m]Grayling[/name_m] - I do think it has a nice sound but it’s one I’m going to need to think on a bit (to shake the politician association it has where i am…)

[name_m]Brandt[/name_m]- Yeah, cowboy vibes, or at least outdoorsy. I think [name_m]Brandt[/name_m] is very strong and handsome, sporty- very stereotypical masculine name. The spelling looks a bit off, because there’s a lot of other similar names: [name_m]Brent[/name_m], [name_m]Brant[/name_m], Brad… It also just looks like that word brand. :racehorse: :racing_car: :basketball: :hiking_boot:

[name_m]Destin[/name_m]- I like the nn [name_m]Des[/name_m] but I would just use [name_m]Desmond[/name_m], and [name_m]Destin[/name_m] looks like a made up version of [name_u]Dustin[/name_u] or like [name_f]Destiny[/name_f] without the Y. Clean, financial, business like name. :plate_with_cutlery: :train2: :bowling: :eyeglasses:

[name_u]Joss[/name_u]- Kind of like this one. It does feel feminine, but not a bad thing! It does feel nicknamey, I would prefer it as a nickname, but it also works as a standalone if short is your cup of tea. Funky, artsy, sarcastic vibes. :grapes: :art: :fireworks: :rugby_football:

[name_m]Saul[/name_m]- I like this one too- although I think it is a predominantly Jewish name, but works well on anyone. I’ve never encountered it in Spain during my years there but I could see it being pronounced the Spanish way. It feels classic, distinct, autumnal, and shy. :maple_leaf: :pancakes: :camping: :sailboat:

[name_m]Grayling[/name_m]- I wouldn’t consider this a name… It doesn’t sound very nameish, more descriptive and birdlike. I get the appeal, but I don’t like it. :cd: :person_fencing: :feather: :paw_prints:

1 Like