Victoria dillema - Please help

[name]Hi[/name] everyone I am expecting my first child, a girl in [name]July[/name] and ever since I was a little girl I have always loved the name [name]Victoria[/name] and planned on naming my first girl that. However, my husband’s last name (and now mine) is Morio so I’m stuck with the repetitive [name]ORI[/name] sounds. My husband doesnt seem to think its as big deal as I do but its really bothering me. But at the same time I really dont wanna give up the name [name]Victoria[/name] since I love it so much. So I was thinking of maybe giving her a hyphenated first name like [name]Victoria[/name]-[name]Lynn[/name] to break up the repetition (because I dont mind the way it sounds with a second name, just with [name]Victoria[/name] alone because I feel like the sounds run right into it). I would only use a hyphenated name for official things such as official forms or if her name were to be read aloud and refer to her as [name]Victoria[/name] for all the daily things. Is this a horrible idea? Also [name]Victoria[/name]-[name]Lynn[/name] is just an example, are there any other hyphenated names that flow with [name]Victoria[/name] and Morio to break it up? Or it doesnt even have to have a hyphen, I just feel without a hyphen people will think the second one is her middle name and it will defeat the whole purpose. Any help would be really appreciated as I am incredibly frustrated. Thank you!!

I love [name]Victoria[/name], too! Like you said, [name]Victoria[/name] Morio isn’t the best because of the rhyme. Hmm… To me, [name]Victoria[/name] with a hyphen isn’t as elegant as [name]Victoria[/name] without a hypen, but I understand that you’re just trying to make [name]Victoria[/name] viable with your last name.

I know a lot of people with double names (no hyphens), and from what I know, they don’t encounter issues.

At the same time, because [name]Victoria[/name] is such a long name, I don’t think it naturally lends itself to being part of a double name. Hmm…

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Jane[/name]? [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]? [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Kate[/name]? [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]?

You could even name her [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Violet[/name] Morio, and call her [name]Vivi[/name] for short!

Another option, would be to use [name]Victoria[/name] as a middle.

You could also just go with [name]Victoria[/name] as a solo first name (or as the double name, like [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Jane[/name], but call her [name]Vika[/name] --a Russian nickname for [name]Victoria[/name]–for short.)

(I love [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Violet[/name] Morio, nn [name]Vivi[/name]!) :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Really, [name]Victoria[/name] Morio isn’t bad. It has a nice flow to it…like a supermodel or something. :slight_smile:

But it if it’s really bothering you, the hyphenated first name isn’t a bad idea.
I like [name]Victoria[/name]-[name]Lynn[/name].
What about:

[name]Victoria[/name]-[name]Leigh[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]-[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]-[name]Marie[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]-[name]Danielle[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]-[name]Nicole[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]-[name]Anne[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]-[name]Elaine[/name]

The possibilities are endless!

I completely support everything [name]Jill[/name] said this time around. Well done, [name]Jill[/name]!

1. It is extremely regrettable that you’ve loved [name]Victoria[/name] for so long and now it just doesn’t work with your new last name. Yes, I really think [name]Victoria[/name] Morio is too much - in fact, I just accidentally wrote it as [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Moria[/name]. Oops! [name]Even[/name] [name]Tori[/name] Morio is off!

2. [name]Victoria[/name] is a classic, elegant, strong, and feminine name that almost seems to fall apart if you tack on a hyphen and an extra name, in my opinion. Not only does it lose its streamlined, sophisticated look, it sounds, well, strange, to me. Maybe more isn’t better in this case? If you do want a double name, I’d use a double name, not a hyphenated one…

[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Belle[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Fleur[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Paige[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Sage[/name]

1. You could use [name]Victoria[/name] as a middle name, or use a nickname that didn’t cause as many problems, like [name]Vika[/name]. [name]Vivi[/name] and [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Violet[/name] Morio were great suggestions, but maybe [name]Violet[/name] [name]Victoria[/name] Morio would be better, even? [name]Violet[/name] Morio is nice, because - like [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Harriet[/name], and [name]Scarlett[/name] - [name]Violet[/name] has a strong sound that prevents the unappealing sing-song-y sound of [name]Victoria[/name] Morio.

2. Well, you could choose another name, but if you love [name]Victoria[/name] so much, that might be tough. I’d recommend a one-syllable first name followed by a two-syllable middle name, myself, along the lines of:

[name]Anne[/name] [name]Lucille[/name] Morio
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Elise[/name] Morio
[name]Cate[/name] [name]Sarah[/name] Morio
[name]Elle[/name] [name]Corinne[/name] Morio
[name]Faye[/name] [name]Giselle[/name] Morio
[name]Grace[/name] [name]Marie[/name] Morio
[name]Jane[/name] [name]Marie[/name] Morio
[name]Maeve[/name] [name]Noelle[/name] Morio - M.N.M. = M&M’s!
[name]Paige[/name] [name]Camille[/name] Morio
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Louise[/name] Morio
[name]Rose[/name] [name]Frances[/name] Morio
[name]Wynne[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name] Morio

Granted, some of those are better than others - I’m pretty tired right now.

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name],

Personally i cant see anything wrong with [name]Victoria[/name] Morio and as suggested by other berries, ppl will shorten it.

I do like [name]Jill[/name]'s suggestion of [name]Victoria[/name] violet etc…

Hypenated or not i think victoria is a lovely name which flows well with your last name so i dont see it as a big deal at all…

I agree with [name]Jill[/name] and [name]Lemon[/name], [name]Victoria[/name] Morio is a liiiiittle awkward said out loud - though it does have a certain charm in its awkwardness.

An alternative to [name]Victoria[/name] could be [name]Victoire[/name], the french form.

I am not crazy about the idea of adding another name to [name]Victoria[/name], however have you considered hyphenating last names? If you put your maiden name first (maiden name - Morio) the “[name]ORI[/name]” sounds would break up and it potentially wouldn’t be a problem any more

Have you considered hyphenating the baby’s surname with your own last name instead of hyphenating her first name? Example: [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Smith[/name]-Morio, [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Jones[/name]-Morio are quite elegant. Not sure if that would be an issue for your husband, or even an option, but something to consider. You can also just use her middle initial often: [name]Victoria[/name] A. Morio, for example, which breaks things up a bit.

What about a variation of the name that extends it instead of hyphenating. Something along the lines of [name]Victoriana[/name] or VictoriAnna?

I think [name]Victoriana[/name] Morio sounds pretty nice. it has the repetition of the ‘ori’ sound, but the ‘ana’ helps break it up without being too distracting.

I know a lady named [name]Maria[/name] Muriello. What do you think of that? She is a successful realtor. [name]Victoria[/name] Morio isn’t so different from [name]Maria[/name] Muriello. Hmmm, but I think I like [name]Maria[/name] Muriello more.
What about [name]Valentina[/name] Morio? That sounds good to me. You could call her [name]Lena[/name] Morio for short. [name]Love[/name] it.

Thank you all for all your suggestions! They are each helpful in their own way and I’ll be sure to discuss them with my husband and hopefully we can figure something out that works for us. Thanks again.