Victoria?

I love the name [name]Victoria[/name] but really dislike the nickname [name]Vicky[/name]. I know there’s also [name]Tori[/name] - which I think is cute. I was considering a double V combo eg. [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Violet[/name] to get the nickname ‘[name]Vivi[/name]’. [name]Do[/name] you think that this is too much of a stretch? Also, what do you think of the name [name]Victoria[/name]? Any middle name help would be much appreciated! Aside from [name]Victoria[/name], I like the names [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Francesca[/name], [name]Madeleine[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Bronwen[/name] and [name]Ivy[/name] for girls but none seem right with [name]Victoria[/name].
Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Victoria[/name], but also dislike [name]Vicky[/name], and am not crazy about [name]Tori[/name] either. I think you could do the nickname [name]Vivi[/name] without doing a double V. I love [name]Violet[/name] also, but personally, [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Violet[/name] does seem a bit much to me.

I do agree with [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Violet[/name] being too much and glad that someone else feels the same about the nickname issue!
I am completely stumped for middle names for [name]Victoria[/name]… does anyone have any suggestions? All I can think of is [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Alice[/name] but I’m not sure about the ‘a’ at the end of [name]Victoria[/name] and the ‘A’ at the beginning of [name]Alice[/name].
Thanks again :slight_smile:

I love [name]Victoria[/name] and like [name]Vicky[/name] and [name]Tori[/name] well enough. I often like two names that both begin with the same letter but I don’t think [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Violet[/name] works very well in that way; all the same, I think you could use [name]Vivi[/name] without having two V names. I like your taste in names here! Have you considered [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] or perhaps [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Blair[/name]?

Edited to add: I really like [name]Victoria[/name] paired with [name]Jane[/name], too.

[name]Victoria[/name] is very pretty but I too dislike the nn [name]Vicky[/name], I much prefer [name]Tori[/name] which sounds kind of spunky to me:) [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Violet[/name] is too much in my opinion, I think you could get away with the nn [name]Vivi[/name] or just [name]Viv[/name] with the alliteration. [name]Vera[/name] maybe? That’s a bit of a stretch though.

Another idea; do you like [name]Vittoria[/name]? Similar to [name]Victoria[/name] but there will never be the danger of the [name]Vicky[/name] nn.

Some mn suggestions for [name]Victoria[/name]:

[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Lily[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Iris[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Eve[/name]

• [name]Charlie[/name]

I’d just like to add that you could probably get away with [name]Ria[/name] as a nickname as well! [name]Just[/name] another one to consider! ^^

I like [name]Victoria[/name], and I think the best thing to do is just always call her [name]Victoria[/name] with no nn, but [name]Vicki[/name] and [name]Tori[/name] do lurk there . . .

[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Louise[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Anne[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Camille[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Simone[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Cecile[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Magdalene[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Gail[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Renee[/name]

I agree that [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Violet[/name] is too much. I do love [name]Vivi[/name], though, and I think you could make it stick as a nn for [name]Victoria[/name] if you used it from the beginning (especially since it’s not too far a stretch froom [name]Victoria[/name] to [name]Vi[/name], and then [name]Vi[/name] to [name]Vivi[/name]).

Have you considered using [name]Vivian[/name] instead, though?

[name]Hi[/name]! I really love [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Violet[/name], and think it’s a wonderful way to reach [name]Vivi[/name]. :slight_smile:

Some more combos that I don’t think have been mentioned:

[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] (at first, I wasn’t sure about [name]Maeve[/name]'s V sound, but I think it’s kind of cool with [name]Victoria[/name]) :slight_smile:
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]

Good luck!

Thanks everyone! I really like [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Lily[/name]. Also like the idea of the nickname [name]Ria[/name].
[name]Do[/name] you think that a [name]Victoria[/name] would be able to stay a [name]Victoria[/name] at school, for example? I can’t imagine teachers using the nickname [name]Vivi/name and would hate for it to be immediately shortened to [name]Vicky[/name] as teachers used to immediately shorten my name, which drove me crazy. (No offence intended to any Vickys out there!!)

I adore [name]Victoria[/name]! My daughter grew up with tons of them, so I hear it all the time, but I still love it. [name]Tori[/name] is ok, I like the spelling [name]Torrie[/name] as well. I hate [name]Vicky[/name], but I have a cousin [name]Vikki[/name] and that somehow makes it look better. [name]Vivi[/name] is nice, I suggest [name]Vivienne[/name] for that one. [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Violet[/name] does seem a bit much though. Good luck!

[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Branwen[/name] is pretty- I like [name]Toria[/name] as a nn. I strongly dislike [name]Vicky[/name]!

I’m not crazy about [name]Vicky[/name], but I think if you establish [name]Vivi[/name] from birth, most people will call her by her preferred nickname and not automatically call her [name]Vicky[/name]. If, for example, you liked [name]Tori[/name] - they would not call her [name]Vicky[/name] if she went by [name]Tori[/name]. If you instead like [name]Vivi[/name], it’s the same thing. And before she starts school, she’ll learn to be [name]Vivi[/name] and correct people who call her something else. Caveat - she may grow to prefer [name]Vicky[/name] once she gets the hang of her name and any nicknames it might offer her.

I’ve also known practically dozens of people who deflect any nicknames if you actually prefer [name]Victoria[/name] whole to any nicknames - a lot of people with long names seem to manage it ok. For another V name, people like to suggest [name]Vera[/name] as a nickname for [name]Veronica[/name] - I have never known a [name]Veronica[/name] in my life to go by anything but the full [name]Veronica[/name]. Not [name]Ronnie[/name], not [name]Nicki[/name], just [name]Veronica[/name]. I think [name]Victoria[/name] stands a chance, especially because it’s unusual now. Teachers aren’t new at this either, they must be bombarded with dozens of memos every semester as to which name to use when addressing each child in their class, or your daughter can say to her new friend or her teacher, “[name]Hi[/name], I’m _____” whatever you call her, and her friends and teacher will call her that.

I think [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Violet[/name] is cute - I don’t think it is too much, but it does somewhat sound like a children’s book character. I tend to like some alliteration in practical doses but sometimes it can go a little too far. Is [name]Violet[/name] really the best one to you, or do you like it because it starts with “[name]Vi[/name]”? Initials V.V. can be [name]Vivi[/name], if you like another one. [name]Violet[/name] is pretty, nothing against it, but maybe there are other V names you like if you really want a strong assertion of [name]Vivi[/name]. I don’t think a V middle name is necessary, [name]Victoria[/name] starts with [name]Vi[/name] and just repeat (like [name]Mimi[/name] for [name]Miriam[/name] or even [name]Michelle[/name]*). I also really like [name]Victoria[/name]. It’s not quite my style, but it is a classic that went by the wayside for a few years to make room for some other old names, probably because the nn [name]Vicky[/name]. I think it has strong and pretty presence.

*I knew a [name]Michelle[/name] who went by [name]Mitzy[/name], and she insisted on [name]Mitzy[/name], which is not a nickname for [name]Michelle[/name], but it demonstrates how you can establish an uncommon or less intuitive nickname for a name like [name]Vivi[/name] for [name]Victoria[/name].

Another choice might be [name]Via[/name] (Vee-ah). I’m not in love with it more than [name]Vivi[/name], but it might appeal to you. [name]Even[/name] Vee. I think I used to know someone named Vee, which I am not sure really happened, much less remember what it was short for.

[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name] is a pretty combination [name]IMO[/name], very classic. As for nicknames I have heard of [name]Tori[/name] and [name]Toria[/name] used during my school years when classmates named [name]Victoria[/name] were in the class.

Another nickname option for [name]Victoria[/name] is the Russian ‘[name]Vika[/name]’ - I had a student in my class with this name last year. Everyone called her [name]Vika[/name] and it wasn’t until I saw her full name on the school database that I realised she was [name]Victoria[/name].

[name]Hi[/name] again! :slight_smile: I definitely think a [name]Victoria[/name] can stay [name]Victoria[/name], and I actually know a [name]Victoria[/name] who has never been called anything else. (The thought of her being called [name]Vicky[/name] or [name]Tori[/name] actually makes me laugh, because she’s 100% [name]Victoria[/name].)

I also think of the movie Beaches, in which [name]Barbara[/name] Hershey’s daughter is called [name]Victoria[/name], and only [name]Victoria[/name].

I also know many Elizabeths and Katherines who only go by [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Katherine[/name], so it’s definitely possible to avoid nicknames.

A [name]Victoria[/name] may have to tell people not to call her “[name]Vicky[/name],” but if I’m introduced to someone as [name]Victoria[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Katherine[/name], etc., that’s what I call her.

I love [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Jane[/name], and [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Lily[/name], too. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Oh gosh, I noticed the last response was in [name]December[/name] so I may be too late join in on this topic. I just want you to know that I am going through the same insecurity about the name [name]Victoria[/name]. Actually a little more so now that I actually named my daughter [name]Viktoria[/name] [name]Eve[/name] who was born [name]November[/name] 11th, 2009. My husband and I are both Russian and wanted to give our children names with Russian roots. My son”s names are [name]Alec[/name] and [name]Maxim[/name], two names which filled this requirement and now our daughter [name]Viktoria[/name], whose nickname [name]Vika[/name] is Russian. However I am having constant anxiety regarding people calling her [name]Vicki[/name]. I absolutely dislike that name. My husband wants to register her in school as [name]Vika[/name] and only [name]Vika[/name]. I want her to be [name]Vika[/name] and at times [name]Viktoria[/name] because I do like her full given name. However I continue to remain paranoid that people will still some how change her name (including [name]Vika[/name]) to [name]Vicki[/name] which is not her name. To further complicate the issue, I love the name [name]Vita[/name], more so than [name]Vika[/name] ([name]Vika[/name] is my husband’s obsession, not mine). Is it possible to call her [name]Vika[/name] at home cause that’s what makes him happy and register her as [name]Vita[/name] in schools? [name]Will[/name] registering her as a [name]Vita[/name] better ensure that she will not be called [name]Vicki[/name]? Please, please advice. I have seriously been dealing with major anxiety about this.

Please don’t register her as [name]Vika[/name], if her full name is [name]Viktoria[/name] (beautiful name, by the way). I work in a school, and whatever you want your daughter called, whether it is [name]Viktoria[/name], [name]Vika[/name] or [name]Vita[/name], you can tell your daughter’s teacher. [name]Vicki[/name] is also NOT a common nn nowadays.

If you want her to go by [name]Vita[/name] in school, you better start calling her that! [name]Imagine[/name] how confusing it would be for her to start school and have everyone call her something different than she’s always been called. Though [name]Vita[/name] and [name]Vika[/name] do sound very similar, I don’t think I’d like that confusion. I think it’s probably best to register her as [name]Viktoria[/name] and just tell the teacher what she goes by. I think some schools allow you to put in the nickname the child goes by on the registration form anyway, right?

I"m a [name]Victoria[/name] called [name]Vikki[/name] which is an unusual alternate spelling. I know because no one can spell it. But…if you really hate [name]Vicky[/name]. [name]How[/name] about [name]Ria[/name] as a nickname?

I adore [name]Victoria[/name]! My daughter grew up with tons of them, so I hear it all the time, but I still love it. [name]Tori[/name] is ok, I like the spelling [name]Torrie[/name] as well. I hate [name]Vicky[/name], but I have a cousin [name]Vikki[/name] and that somehow makes it look better. [name]Vivi[/name] is nice, I suggest [name]Vivienne[/name] for that one. [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Violet[/name] does seem a bit much though. Good luck![/quote]

[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Plum[/name]