Victorian Charm MN for Natalia...?? Is it even possible?

I’m creating my girls’ list…

The name [name]Emma[/name] was always my first choice, but seeing that everyone else these days has the same idea, I’d rather my future daughter not be one among the masses! My husband is not a big fan of it anyway. However, he loves my second choice, [name]Adelaide[/name]. So I think we’ve decided upon [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Corinne[/name] (how lovely that it’s meaning is [name]Noble[/name] Maiden!) for our first daughter ~ nn [name]Addie[/name] [name]Corinne[/name]. But I’d like to have your opinion about our 2nd daughter’s name!

[name]One[/name] thing you must know is that I am a HUGE fan of 3 syllable firsts followed by 2 syllable middles, esp since our last name is a Mc_____, at 4 syllables. (Longer first names give more leeway for nns; I love that I can be a [name]Kimmie[/name] [name]Jean[/name] as well as a [name]Kimberly[/name] all depending upon the formality of the occasion)

I am also extremely drawn to the Victorian [name]Era[/name], so names like [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Lavinia[/name], [name]Claudia[/name], [name]Minerva[/name], and [name]Clarice[/name] strike my fancy (see my list “Victorian [name]Doll[/name] Charm” Victorian Doll Charm | Nameberry) altho some of those particular names are def too much for my husband and have difficult meanings to swallow ([name]Claudia[/name] = “lame”)

For our boys, we have also picked out personally meaningful, classic, familiar but rare names (1. [name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Patrick[/name] and 2. [name]Tobiah[/name] [name]Joseph[/name])

We like the name [name]Natalia[/name] as a first name (nn [name]Talia[/name] meaning “gentle dew from heaven”) because it’s cute, meaningful, and beautifully rare, but is it too modern to flow with our other choices? And what would you choose as [name]Talia[/name]'s middle name? Would we be able to pick a name with old-fashioned charm? [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Clarice[/name] is lovely, but then both girls would have the same middle initial. Or [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Elise[/name]?? I’m not sure… What do you think?

[name]Hi[/name], I love [name]Natalia[/name]! [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Clarice[/name] is my favorite from your suggestions. Here are some other ideas from the 1880s:

[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Edith[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Olive[/name]*
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Florence[/name]*
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Ethel[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Helen[/name]*
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Violet[/name]*
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Hester[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Adele[/name]*
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name]*

[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Winifred[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Irene[/name]

For me it is a no brainer I think [name]Alice[/name] is made for [name]Natalia[/name], combo of [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Alice[/name] that is vintage charm at its best and the names work perfectly in combo.

If you use a more unusual name I think it is possible to overdo the combo. [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Alice[/name] is sweet - I think she is a keeper.

rollo

I think [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Clarice[/name] is lovely. I don’t find [name]Natalia[/name] modern. Its been popular in Eastern Europe for centuries. It is a newer name in the English-speaking world, I guess. I do think the style is a bit off with [name]Adelaide[/name], but it can work. Other names around the same style:

[name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Clarinda[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Pandora[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]

Thank you… I appreciate your thoughts :slight_smile: I used to work at a preschool, as well as a K-12 private school, and there are just so many names you hear popping up! We are def looking for something classy, cute and solid; genuine, innocent and strong.

[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Rosamund[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Rosalind[/name]

all have been on and off my list, but with a 3 syllable FN and 4 syllable last, I think all they would be is tongue twisters! Some that always rolled of my tongue were

[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Renee[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]LeAnne[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Brielle[/name] (my husband says that no matter how you put it, BM was never meant to be used as initials. lol, oh my!)
but none of those MNs really appeal to our style. Also thought about [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Louise[/name], but maybe it sounds too stuffy…? I actually prefer [name]Louisa[/name], but in this case the dbl “a” endings are too much.

I really like names ending in -elle or -ice. They seem to flow nicely with that last “a” in [name]Natalia[/name]. Syllables and ending sounds may give us some direction, but the meaning of the name is of utmost importance too, as you may have noticed (yes, we do want everything in a name! it has to be perfect, right??). Meanings full of strong character traits are very worth considering.

I look at my own middle name, [name]Jean[/name], and I whole-heartedly agree with [name]Rollo[/name] that sometimes simple is better, tho [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] may be too common and simple for me. Names like [name]Ethel[/name], [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Edith[/name] and [name]Helen[/name] remind me of some great-aunts who don’t make the names desirable for a darling daughter! I used to have a lovely association with the name [name]Sophie[/name], but alas, that has been ruined by a newcomer. And believe it or not, shaymin2, I actually know a Larinda (she has a sister named Raulinda, not twins! talk about tongue twisters!!!)

I’ve always been fond of the name [name]Catherine[/name], amberdaydream, however my [name]SIL[/name]'s name is [name]Katherine[/name]. It is something we may yet consider. Classy, cute and def solid. I’ve thought about certain short variations of the name [name]Elizabeth[/name], but DH opposes due to his self-centered aunt [name]Liz[/name], so we’d rather not go there (unless it is a really good variation! I myself think first about the Biblical [name]Elizabeth[/name] giving herself as a “vow to God”–completely opposite women! what a role model for [name]Natalia[/name] to look up to!)

I might as well throw this out there too: My husband loves the spunky name [name]Quinn[/name], not exactly my cup of tea. As a compromise, “V” names are kinda cool but I’ve yet to find one that works… [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Violet[/name] doesn’t quite hit the bullseye. [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Vidette[/name] may be a tad closer.

For goodness sakes, I hope you “professional nameberries” can make sense of all my many ideas! It took me forever to find [name]Natalia[/name]! My DH has always loved my idealism, but thinks I should keep my fascination with [name]Beatrice[/name] and other such names on the dusty shelf of yesteryear. sigh.

Hello Iwillpraise a friend of mine with Latvian heritage named her daughter [name]Natalia[/name]. I am suggesting instead of [name]Alice[/name] the lovely [name]ALISE[/name]
which has origins in [name]France[/name] but in Latvia is considered to be a Latvian name.

I think that it makes [name]Alice[/name] a little more exotic in flavour. It is pronounced as [name]AH[/name] lis eh. It means ‘of noble kind’

So does that make the combo work any better for you? [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Alise[/name] with the ‘e’ being said with an ‘ay’ sound

rollo

I think the previous suggestion of [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Alice[/name] is on the right track, but I think the repeating “al” sounds could be a bit of a tongue twister… could I instead suggest [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Agnes[/name]? Very similar sound, very Victorian, and easier to say, I think. :slight_smile: Good luck!

Oh! and one more thing…

I’m considering the names so closely together because there is a HUGE possibility of our having multiples… both his dad and his mom are fraternal twins and I have a twin aunt and uncle. I figure, if what they say is true, and it always skips a generation, we better be planning accordingly. So I’ve set up many possibilities :slight_smile:

*[name]Gabriel[/name] and [name]Natalia[/name] (hopefully this set of twins would be born around [name]Christmas[/name]! lol)
*[name]Toby[/name] and [name]Talia[/name] (obvious alliteration)
*[name]Gabriel[/name] and [name]Tobiah[/name] (flow nicely, as do their meanings “strong man of God” and “God is Good”)
*[name]Adie[/name] and [name]Natalia[/name] (flow nicely; balanced femininity)

So same middle initials for the girls shouldn’t bother me too too much, I guess. That is, if it works out that they’re twins! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I absolutely love finding out cultural history along the way! It makes the search much more interesting!

The more I look back to the descriptions I’ve given, it does seem that [name]Alice[/name] applies in more ways than one, doesn’t it? Depending on the name, sometimes I find that the more exotic names stand out to me; but in all honesty, of the two, I find the more simple [name]Alice[/name] to be my preference. I guess it all boils down to the 2 'a’s ([name]NataliA[/name] [name]Alice[/name]) that flows maybe too well together and doesn’t give enough distinction. However, [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Elise[/name] has been one of my serious contenders on the original list. Not sure about their compatibility tho. Your thoughts?

Hello again and back to the [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Alice[/name] combo. I have just run it past my DH and he thinks that [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Elise[/name] is the better option. I am not sure. If one pauses between the two names it should be okay, can some other berries chime in on this one please?

rollo

I think [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Elise[/name] sounds fine. Some more ideas:
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Rosette[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Roselle[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Cecile[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Sabine[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Florette[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Claudine[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Florine[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Marcelle[/name]

[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] came to mind immediately. But [name]Charlotte[/name] might be too…modernesque for your tastes.
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Elise[/name] could totally work.

Suggestions:
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Clarissa[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Emma[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Emme[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name]

What about…

[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Louise[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name] [name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name] [name]Aline[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Sable[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Vera[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Opal[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Olive[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Iris[/name], [name]Isis[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Ida[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Constance[/name], [name]Florence[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Cosette[/name]

[name]Natalia[/name] [name]Fleur[/name]? …picking up on the rose theme you noted earlier.

Very pretty, floral, traditional and has the beautiful 3/1 syllable combination. Although a floral meaning, the sound of the name is also not too flowery - no ‘a’ repetitions or run-together syllables.

So I just counted and there’s about 3 of you so far that are all for [name]Natalia[/name] [name]Clarice[/name]. And the rest of you have actually suggested names extremely similar… [name]Alice[/name], [name]Elise[/name], [name]Clarissa[/name], [name]Claire[/name], [name]Cecile[/name], [name]Claudine[/name], [name]Carolina[/name], [name]Clarinda[/name]…

I had tucked the name away for a while, tho, and thought I’d seek out alternative options once I started noticing a clear pattern of “C” middle names I kept picking out, which made me question my own creative abilities on pairing un-themed sibling names. And my husband had reservations about [name]Clarice[/name] anyway. But I think once I found the name [name]Natalia[/name], it got me thinking about [name]Christmas[/name] and all the wonderful things that it brings…so 1.) If I were a [name]Rudolph[/name], I think I’d surely want a friend as dear as [name]Clarice[/name]! Which brings me to 2.) another childhood favorite of mine, a book called Let’s Go Fishing (Vintage Children's Book Let's Go Fishing the Big - Etsy), in which I’d always loved the fish character [name]Baby[/name] [name]Clarissa[/name] (the first time I ever heard that name!) with her little white baby bonnet :slight_smile: . Go ahead, I’ll LOL with you… Wow. I guess it’s the tiniest of things that bring back associations of “innocence” ~ one of the things I desire for a name.

The more I go over my preferences, I do believe [name]Clarice[/name] falls somewhere between [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Claudia[/name]; it’s a name familiar yet rare and almost mysterious (I know that wasn’t in my previous guidelines, lol), and definitely falls in that category of feminine, classy and strong (umm, at this point, please look passed my childhood fish associations!); not to mention was elegantly used by Victorian society. [name]Clarice[/name] means “clear, bright, famous; illustrious, brilliant” ~ definitely wonderful blessings to bestow upon a little person.

And after all this, my darling husband decided he does like it. Hopefully he doesn’t change his mind anytime soon! Waiting for the right time to have a family is trying, but the least I can do is get the perfect names ready for them when they come! In the meantime, if you still have any suggestions, by all means, share! Who knows…? :wink: Thanks to all who have already participated in this thread!