Vintage/Classic vs Quirky/Unusual

In the past few weeks, my taste in names has transitioned from vintage and classic names {eg. [name]Violet[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Henry[/name]} to more unusual names {eg. [name]Zola[/name], [name]Nephele[/name], [name]Amadeus[/name]}. I like both but part of the reason I started looking for more uncommon names because the vintage name trend seems to be more popular here in the UK, and most of the vintage names that I like were way too popular for me. Below are lists of names from either style, I just want your thoughts on each list and which list you prefer overall.

Vintage/Classic Quirky/Unusual
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Zola[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Oksana[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] Illyria
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Thisbe[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name] [name]Tempest[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name] [name]Amadeus[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Loki[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name] [name]Raphael[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Ulysses[/name]
[name]Willem[/name] [name]Ivo[/name]

My taste is similar. However, I think the names on your Quirky list are a bit too quirky for me.
[name]Do[/name] you like variations of the Vintage names?
[name]Violet[/name] - [name]Violetta[/name] for example

I like names from both of your lists.
From your vintage list I love [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Hugo[/name], I really like [name]Willem[/name]. I dislike [name]Violet[/name]; [name]Violette[/name]/[name]Violetta[/name]/[name]Viola[/name]/Fioled are so much more interesting.

From your quirky list I love Illyria, [name]Tempest[/name], [name]Ulysses[/name] and [name]Ivo[/name]. I don’t like [name]Loki[/name] at all, I don’t get why anyone would name their child after a cruel and horrible mythological character. Overall I prefer this list.

Have you checked out www.britishbabynames.com? She’s got some amazing inspirational lists.

I’m a combo of the two. According to this name quiz, I am Classic Eccentric, which means unusual names that have a history. On my list, I have names that range from [name]Saskia[/name] to [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Mavis[/name] to [name]Ariadne[/name].

From your vintage list, I like [name]Alice[/name], [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]William[/name]. From the unusual list, I like [name]Zola[/name], [name]Tempest[/name], [name]Amadeus[/name], [name]Loki[/name] and [name]Raphael[/name].

I consider myself to be very much on the vintage side when it comes to names. From you list I like: [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Hugo[/name], [name]Ronan[/name], [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Willem[/name]. From the other list I kind of like [name]Oksana[/name], [name]Thisbe[/name] and [name]Tempest[/name]. Yeah, I guess I prefer the vintage list then :slight_smile:

I am most definitely a vintage-name sort of person! I like original names too, but some of the names you picked are a bit too quirky for me, sorry! :slight_smile: I [name]ADORE[/name] [name]Matilda[/name]. I also really like [name]Hugo[/name] and [name]Henry[/name]. Some other vintage names I love include: [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], and [name]Pearl[/name].

On my own list are: [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Tempest[/name] (but for a boy), and [name]Amadeus[/name]. I also like [name]Alice[/name], [name]Violet[/name], and [name]Loki[/name] so all in all I quite like both of your lists. I like to mix it up and have more quirky names paired with classic ones, for example some of my combos are: [name]Tobias[/name] [name]Henry[/name], [name]Edmund[/name] [name]Tempest[/name], [name]Isaac[/name] [name]Amadeus[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name] [name]James[/name], [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Belle[/name]. :slight_smile:

I prefer the classics myself. I don’t mind slightly unusual names. But I’d imagine some of these would cause pronunciation and spelling problems their whole life and questions about their background since they’re so unusual–but I know that doesn’t bother a lot of people.
From your lists, I don’t mind [name]Raphael[/name] and I think Ilyria is very pretty. I’m not fond of any of the others in the unusual list.

I like most of the names in your classic list, but especially [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Henry[/name]. [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Hugo[/name] are also very nice.

Regarding [name]Tempest[/name], I know a lot of people seem to love it, but I don’t really get it. I suppose it’s a pretty sound combination, but to me it’s like naming your kid Trouble or Rash. The name brings up images of uncomfortable temperatures, pests, chaos, arguments, and annoyance. It just seems like such an un-subtle negative connotation.

I love your vintage list! I love most of the names on it, except for [name]Oscar[/name]. Your quirky list is a little out there for my taste.

From your vintage list I love [name]Willem[/name] the most, a common nickname in [name]Holland[/name] is [name]Pim/name which I think is just adorable! I also love [name]Hugo[/name], [name]Ronan[/name] and [name]Henry[/name], along with [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name] and [name]Alice[/name].

From your unusual list [name]Ivo[/name] is my favourite by far! I also love Illyria, [name]Thisbe[/name], [name]Amadeus[/name] [name]Ulysses[/name] and [name]Tempest[/name] if you use it for a boy. It’s just not feminine at all!

That said, I prefer when people use unusual names over classic/ vintage ones. A sibset with Illyria, [name]Thisbe[/name], [name]Ivo[/name] and [name]Ulysses[/name] would make me so much happier than [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Hugo[/name], [name]Willem[/name] and [name]Rosalie[/name].

Also, [name]Loki[/name] is no-go since he’s such a bad character, especially with Avengers from last year.
[name]Oksana[/name] just won’t agree with me, I think it might be the Oks part, Okse is Norwegian for Bull ([name]Ox[/name]).
I would see [name]Zola[/name] as more on trend than unusual, with [name]Zoe[/name] and [name]Lola[/name] climbing, [name]Zola[/name] is the logical next step. And there’s McDreamy and [name]Meredith[/name]'s daughter on [name]Grey[/name]'s Anatomy…

I want to make your vintage list quirky:
[name]Violeta[/name], [name]Ala[/name]ïs, [name]Melusine[/name], [name]Persephone[/name], Roswitha, Oisín, [name]Hawk[/name], [name]Riordan[/name], [name]Huxley[/name] and [name]Willem[/name] can stay unless he wants to be [name]Wellington[/name]. Or Wilco.
With [name]Hugo[/name] and [name]Willem[/name] I’m reminded of [name]Hallam[/name].

My taste is right in the middle of yours, so I really like both. I’d say I lean more toward quirky for girls and classic for boys.

From your list, I like [name]Violet[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Zola[/name], Illyria, [name]Thisbe[/name], [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Hugo[/name], [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Ulysses[/name].

Off of your Vintage/Classic list I like: [name]Hugo[/name], [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name] and [name]Willem[/name]
For your Vintage/Classic list I’d suggest: [name]Edwin[/name] and [name]Iris[/name]

Off of your Quirky/Unusual list I like: Illyria, [name]Tempest[/name], [name]Ulysses[/name] and [name]Thisbe[/name]
For your Quirky/Unusual list I’d suggest: [name]Lysander[/name] and Metis

Two of my own favorite styles of names, I always like the two mixed together (something like [name]Alice[/name] [name]Thisbe[/name] or [name]Rosalie[/name] [name]Oksana[/name] would be very appealing to me).

I think vintage/classic and quirky names go together really well and my naming style is a mix of both.
I like your vintage names on this list more though;

[name]Violet[/name] - this is sweet, I prefer [name]Iris[/name] as a slightly less used flower name though.

[name]Zola[/name] - loving the influx of Z names, [name]Zola[/name] is unusual but not too quirky and I like the literary connotation - I would use this on a girl, but I think it could def be unisex.

[name]Alice[/name] - love [name]Alice[/name], sweet but strong, it’s a great classic with a whimsical literary connection and interesting historical links (alice roosevelt and princess alice of hesse)

[name]Oksana[/name] - not a fan of this, sorry.

[name]Matilda[/name] - this is a great name, plus [name]Tilda[/name] or [name]Tillie[/name] makes for an interesting nn.

Illyria - don’t like this much.

[name]Penelope[/name] - Like this a lot, it feels classic but at the same time has a greek mythology vibe to it.

[name]Thisbe[/name] - I really love this and could definitely see it working as a name, especially with a classic second name behind it - [name]Thisbe[/name] [name]Kate[/name]?

[name]Rosalie[/name] - I don’t mind this, but don’t count it as a favourite, bit too popular maybe.

[name]Tempest[/name] - I could see this on a boy, unusual but interesting, especially if you’re a fan of [name]Shakespeare[/name], perhaps brother to [name]Thisbe[/name]/[name]Viola[/name]/[name]Hermione[/name]/[name]Beatrice[/name]?

[name]Oscar[/name] - nice enough, but horribly popular.

[name]Amadeus[/name] - feels too much like dressing up if you know what I mean, might feel a bit gimmicky on a child.

[name]Hugo[/name] - I like it, but don’t love it, it’s a bit bland as a name.

[name]Loki[/name] - not a fan, but this might be because of Avengers - if it was doable before i’d say it’s off the board now thanks to the film.

[name]Ronan[/name] - nmns

[name]Raphael[/name] - I wouldn’t have put this on the quirky list, but that might be because I live in the Med and am used to hearing Italian style names. I like it a lot, it rolls off the tongue quite nicely.

[name]Henry[/name] - nice solid classic.

[name]Ulysses[/name] - although this is on the side of quirky I can actually see it straddling the classic/historical eventually, interesting historical links and a nice mythological feel.

[name]Ivo[/name] and [name]Willem[/name] - my least favourites - just not my style sorry.