Vintage names I found in a Southern graveyard

Some of these are cute and trendy, some are totally out there. I’m a bit fascinated by them:

Girls:
[name_u]Elzie[/name_u]
[name_f]Leila[/name_f]
Edlay
Ivalee
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Nell[/name_f]
Inda
[name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_m]Judah[/name_m] (Yes, this was a girl!)
[name_f]Hester[/name_f] [name_f]Geneva[/name_f]
[name_u]Mattie[/name_u] and [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] (sisters)
Jettamay (I think this is a new GP for me!)
[name_f]Dixie[/name_f] [name_f]Nell[/name_f]
Ellawease (This spelling cracks me up.)
[name_f]Dovie[/name_f]
[name_f]Dollie[/name_f]

Boys:
Astor
[name_m]Arland[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u] [name_m]Vance[/name_m]
[name_m]Zeb[/name_m]
Wingfield (Yes, you read right.)
[name_u]Grady[/name_u] [name_m]Adams[/name_m]
[name_f]Mattison[/name_f]
Markes
Cowan
[name_m]Foster[/name_m]
[name_m]Mack[/name_m]

And cool couple names I saw together:
Kansas and [name_u]Harley[/name_u] (Kansas was the wife)
[name_f]Elva[/name_f] and [name_u]Grady[/name_u]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m] and [name_f]Ethel[/name_f]
[name_m]Hayes[/name_m] [name_m]Junior[/name_m] and [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] <— These two are actually my great uncle and great aunt!
Hattie and Dean
Asbury and Opal
Columbus and Jimmie (Jimmy was the wife)
Romulus and Addie
Thurman and Alta

Hope you all enjoy these like I did! Feel free to discuss. :slight_smile:

These are great. I really like [name_u]Elzie[/name_u] and Ivalee. [name_m]Judah[/name_m] on a girl is a fun find too.

For girls I liked/would use [name_u]Elzie[/name_u], [name_f]Leila[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Nell[/name_f], Jettamay (Not sure if I would use, but it’s cool!), and [name_f]Dollie[/name_f]. For the boys, I liked/would use [name_u]Elias[/name_u] [name_m]Vance[/name_m], [name_m]Hayes[/name_m], and I’m iffy on [name_m]Zeb[/name_m] and [name_m]Mack[/name_m]. [name_m]Judah[/name_m] I like for a boy, not sure about a girl. If [name_f]Judy[/name_f]/[name_f]Judith[/name_f] works for girls than I guess [name_m]Judah[/name_m] should too?

& I saw that one of your favorite names is [name_m]Abraham[/name_m] in your signature, and I remember a grave that was marked with the name [name_u]Logan[/name_u] [name_m]Abraham[/name_m] :slight_smile:

Wingfield? I mean, that’s gotta be his mom’s or grandmother’s maiden name, right?

I can’t imagine Ivalee, [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u], and Jettamay without a Southern accent. I’m a bit surprised to see [name_m]Asbury[/name_m] here as I rarely come across it outside records from the 1780s-1820s. Considering that his wife’s name was [name_f]Opal[/name_f] I’m guessing he wasn’t quite that old. [name_m]Romulus[/name_m] is just cool.

I love name collecting/hunting in cemeteries! :smiley: You’ve found some gems here!

[name_u]Elzie[/name_u]
[name_f]Leila[/name_f]
[name_u]Mattie[/name_u] and [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] (sisters)
[name_f]Dixie[/name_f] [name_f]Nell[/name_f]
[name_f]Dovie[/name_f]
[name_f]Dollie[/name_f]

Astor
[name_u]Grady[/name_u] [name_m]Adams[/name_m]
[name_f]Mattison[/name_f]
[name_m]Foster[/name_m]

[name_f]Hattie[/name_f] and [name_u]Dean[/name_u]

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] stuff :smiley:
I like [name_u]Elzie[/name_u], Ivalee, [name_f]Hester[/name_f] [name_f]Geneva[/name_f], [name_u]Elias[/name_u] [name_m]Vance[/name_m]

Girls:
[name_u]Elzie[/name_u] - yum!
[name_f]Leila[/name_f] - ho hum
Edlay - hmm…?
Ivalee - yum!
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Nell[/name_f] - meh
Inda - meh
[name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] - snore
[name_f]Viola[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] - hmm…?
[name_m]Judah[/name_m] (Yes, this was a girl!) - yum!
[name_f]Hester[/name_f] [name_f]Geneva[/name_f] - double yum!
[name_u]Mattie[/name_u] and [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] (sisters) - too cute.
Jettamay (I think this is a new GP for me!) - hmm
[name_f]Dixie[/name_f] [name_f]Nell[/name_f] - eek.
Ellawease (This spelling cracks me up.) - hee hee
[name_f]Dovie[/name_f] - sweet
[name_f]Dollie[/name_f] - meh

Boys:
Astor - meh
[name_m]Arland[/name_m] - meh
[name_u]Elias[/name_u] [name_m]Vance[/name_m] - hmm…?
[name_m]Zeb[/name_m] - meh
Wingfield (Yes, you read right.) - family name maybe
[name_u]Grady[/name_u] [name_m]Adams[/name_m] - old man name, kinda cool
[name_f]Mattison[/name_f] - meh
Markes - meh
Cowan - hell no
[name_m]Foster[/name_m] - meh
[name_m]Mack[/name_m] - meh

And cool couple names I saw together:
Kansas and [name_u]Harley[/name_u] (Kansas was the wife) hee hee
[name_m]Hayes[/name_m] [name_m]Junior[/name_m] and [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] <— These two are actually my great uncle and great aunt!
Hattie and Dean – sweet
Asbury and Opal – this is cute
Columbus and Jimmie (Jimmy was the wife)
Romulus and Addie
Thurman and Alta

I love [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_u]Grady[/name_u], [name_m]Mack[/name_m], and [name_u]Elias[/name_u]. I like Ivalee, [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_f]Dovie[/name_f], [name_u]Elzie[/name_u], Inda, and [name_m]Foster[/name_m]. Great finds!

I’m glad I can share my cemetery finds with Berries that appreciate them! I do it often and make lists, so I think I’ll share my finds on threads more often. :slight_smile:

I wanted to add that I saw THREE different Indas! Which I thought was odd, and interesting. And I wanted to add that [name_m]Hayes[/name_m] [name_m]Junior[/name_m], who was my great uncle… Isn’t like a “[name_m]Hayes[/name_m] [name_m]Jr[/name_m]…” His dad ([name_f]My[/name_f] great grandfather’s) name was [name_m]Wayne[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. His name was literally [name_m]Hayes[/name_m] [name_m]Junior[/name_m] ____ and he went by [name_m]Junior[/name_m] and he wasn’t even a [name_m]Junior[/name_m] of anyone! Maybe HIS grandfather was named [name_m]Hayes[/name_m]… but I always thought it was very odd that he went by [name_m]Junior[/name_m] and he wasn’t named after his father at all. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing! A lot of interesting names here, my favourites are the ones below.

[name_u]Elzie[/name_u]

[name_u]Elias[/name_u] [name_m]Vance[/name_m]
[name_m]Zeb[/name_m]
[name_m]Foster[/name_m]

[name_f]Hattie[/name_f] and [name_u]Dean[/name_u]
[name_m]Asbury[/name_m] and [name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_m]Romulus[/name_m] and [name_f]Addie[/name_f]
[name_m]Thurman[/name_m] and [name_f]Alta[/name_f]

Thank you for for sharing your finds! I love to look at old headstones for the names, sentiments, and history. People often think it’s morbid to pass time in cemeteries but I find them peaceful and am really touched by the memorializing.
Another great resource for old Southern names is literature written in Southern dialect: [name_u]Flannery[/name_u] O’[name_m]Connor[/name_m], [name_f]Zora[/name_f] [name_u]Neale[/name_u] Hurston, [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Faulkner[/name_m], [name_m]Mark[/name_m] [name_m]Twain[/name_m]…
[name_f]My[/name_f] great-grandmother from Arkansas was called [name_u]Mattie[/name_u] and I have not yet found any record of a longer name ([name_f]Martha[/name_f]? [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]?) so I think she may just have been named [name_u]Mattie[/name_u]. I live in Northern [name_u]California[/name_u], but in the rural areas of what’s known as [name_m]Gold[/name_m] Country I’ve met a [name_f]Jettie[/name_f] and a [name_f]Honey[/name_f]!