Viola??

There are two things i love::
family names and shakespearean names…
imagine my thrill when i learned that i have a great great grandmother named [name]Viola[/name]…
that’s one of my all time favorite shakespearean names…
i want to use it… but i’m not quite sure how…
should it be a middle name? first name?
what names go well with it?
i’m also concerned that it’s kind of out dated.
thoughts? opinions?

I love the name [name]Viola[/name]!

Here are some suggestions with [name]Viola[/name] as a first or middle:

[name]Viola[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Louise[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Clare[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Gail[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Camille[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Jane[/name]

[name]Audrey[/name] [name]Viola[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name] [name]Viola[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name] [name]Viola[/name]
[name]Edith[/name] [name]Viola[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Viola[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name] [name]Viola[/name]

I think it is gorgeous in the first spot, but could probably work equally as well in the middle. I do, however, just want to point out that a PP mentioned that [name]Viola[/name] means “rape” in Spanish. They are pronounced differently, but the spelling is the same. [name]Just[/name] a heads up so that you don’t find out AFTER you’ve named your daughter. That being said, its very pretty and many people will not catch the spanish relation.
As for it being dated, I don’t that is really the case. Bringing back “old” names is the cool thing to do right now :wink: Here at nameberry we [name]LOVE[/name] them! (I’m currently in love with [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Adeline[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], and [name]Hazel[/name])

Maybe I can throw some combos at ya! :slight_smile:

[name]Viola[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] - too shakespeare? but its soo pretty!
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] - [name]Maeve[/name] is my go to middle name. Isn’t it gorgeous?
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] - another go to middle…seems to work with just about everything!
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] - just a little bit of whimsy
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Eve[/name] - she sounds gorgeous
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Rain[/name]

I may come back and list more :slight_smile:

I’m not a fan of [name]Viola[/name], but if you love it, go for it.

My primary association with the name is that in English, it is close to [name]Violet[/name], and in fact what it means, in English. Also with a Vee sound, it is a musical instrument, but you say it for the name with a Vie sound; however, I love that it looks like the name of a musical instrument related to the violin.

I don’t live in an area with too many Latinos, so I’m not sure how much they really consider this to be a scary and violent word - as the same root of violate and violent in English, some of us tend to associate similar words with entirely different roots - I do it to some extent. But here, I really think it is too bad people keep considering the off-chance that a word in a foreign language will overshadow the beauty of a name that means purple flower.

It may be quite a bit more awkward in communities with higher populations of Spanish speakers, or to consider the potential that [name]Viola[/name] may travel or take jobs in which her name seems to be a potential offense. Some people are put right off that the spelling is exactly the same, and that it would always remind them, even though it’s a different etymology, whether or not they are Spanish/Latino or ever encounter anyone who speaks Spanish outside of a course in high school, since the child may have different experiences.

However, with the information, and it’s always good to know something you didn’t know, you can choose whether this bothers you or not.

I think it is a sort of old-fashioned name that sounds new again. It is the way lots of parents are going - so I wouldn’t worry that it sounds too granny and unusual. ‘[name]Violet[/name]’ tends to be more popular and fashionable, but it always is nice to see people considering the variations of a name.

I love the name [name]Viola[/name]. It’s on my list, too. But can you think of any good nicknames? I haven’t been able to come up with any besides [name]Vi[/name].

I think you could use [name]Lola[/name] as a nickname.

I love the name [name]Viola[/name] and I debated over this name and [name]Scarlett[/name] all summer. I did the research on the whole “rape” connotation and I don’t think that there is as strong of a connection as most people suggest. Yes, technically “viola” is the conjugated verb of violar…which means to violate. But, do you think of violate in English when you think of [name]Viola[/name]? Or do you think of Rape when you say [name]Ray[/name] or Lazy when you pronouce [name]Lacey[/name]?

Spanish speaking people tend to use the word “violacion” when referencing rape. It is pronouced “vee-o-la-cion”. In addition, [name]Viola[/name] in Spanish is also the name of the instrument as it is in English. Overall, the word originates from latin meaning tiny purple flower. Of course this topic is something to consider before naming a child, but I think it has been overblown in this day in age. The name is a classic and has been popular in the US and [name]Italy[/name] for quite sometime. For more commentary, look up my thread/post on “[name]Viola[/name] - Rape Connotation” from a couple months ago.

[name]Viola[/name] was a very popular name in the US. in the Victorian era and hit #44 at one point. Therefore, I think most older people you ask with associate it with the flower and with this old name. Therefore, I think you should think more about the older feeling of [name]Viola[/name] vs the rape connection…eventhough it is difficult.

Ultimately, My husband and I decided in the end to go with [name]Scarlett[/name] over [name]Viola[/name]. However, I am still sad about giving it up. When I think of [name]Viola[/name], I think of a sweet, bohemian, artsy girl. I think it is an unpretencious names rooted in American history. There is an old blues song that the Grateful Dead cover called [name]Viola[/name] [name]Lee[/name] Blues. There was also a known civil rights activist named [name]Viola[/name]. It is a great name. In fact, it is making me sad about not going for it. But, I am days away (hopefully) from delivering and am not changing my mind again :slight_smile:

If you like the name, go for it. Best of [name]Luck[/name]!

I really love [name]Viola[/name], too, as well as other Shakespearean names like [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name] (I really love [name]Cordelia[/name]!), [name]Celia[/name], [name]Helena[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Miranda[/name], and [name]Rosalind[/name].

[name]Viola[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Belle[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Camille[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] (meer-AY)
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Tamsin[/name]

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

[name]Viola[/name] is pretty and sounds to me to be a bit spunkier than [name]Violet[/name].
[name]Violet[/name] is my great grandmothers name so it lingers as a possiblity. [name]Viola[/name] definitely brings more possiblities to the table.
[name]Viola[/name] nn’s. -
Jlm mentioned [name]Lola[/name] - super cute
[name]Vi[/name]
[name]Vivi[/name]
[name]Ollie[/name] - just a personal favorite as a nn for [name]Olivia[/name] but probably not liked by most. It makes me love this name more and [name]Violet[/name] too. Actually I’m going to take [name]Violet[/name] nn [name]Ollie[/name] up with my DH (fingers crossed and toes)