Violet- is it set to become really popular and trendy?

I love the name [name]Violet[/name]. I tend to like ‘flower type’ names like [name]Iris[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Daisy[/name], etc. It also has a lovely vintage feel. However, I am a bit concerned that it is going to rise in popularity hugely, due to a couple of celebrities using it and also because it seems that vintage/old fashioned names are becoming increasingly popular. (I am in the UK so this may be a little different in The States). What do you all think?

In the states this is a VERY trendy popular name. Im not sure about in the UK but it will probably become increasingly popular everywhere. Such as [name]Emma[/name]. Its a name everyone seems to like. haha thank [name]Jennifer[/name] [name]Garner[/name] and [name]Ben[/name] Afflect for that rise in popularity. lol.

It might become a trendy name, with a nice little peak in popularity over the next 1-2 decades, but I doubt it will become as obviously popular as [name]Emma[/name]/[name]Ava[/name]/[name]Sophia[/name]/etc.

[name]Violet[/name] is #184 in the U.S., so while I personally wouldn’t call it trendy yet, it is quickly rising in popularity. Because it’s a classic floral name, it will never feel trendy to me in the way that [name]Madison[/name] and [name]Taylor[/name] feel trendy, but I can see it feeling like an [name]Isabella[/name] or [name]Ava[/name].

That said, you’re in the U.K., and I’m not sure about its popularity there.

I think that [name]Violet[/name] is gorgeous, and if you’re uncertain about using it up front, perhaps you’d be more comfortable using it in the middle?

Whatever you decide, I hope you find a name you love!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thx all for replying! I have no idea where [name]Violet[/name] is in the UK stats because the office if national statistics have only published the top 100 names :frowning:
I am sure it has been rising in popularity a lot recently though, along with [name]Iris[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], etc

[name]Violet[/name] is very popular in Los angeles where I live, I’m talking just as pop as [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Isabelle[/name].

Ok, now I am going to have to admit what a name nerd I am, but because of the stats not coming through in the UK last year I started keeping a tally of the Times announcements. Obviously it’s only one source, and isn’t representative of the whole country (for example, [name]Ellie[/name] is #16 but there’s not been a single one in the Times this year), but it does give an interesting indication of the way things could go.

There have been 4 Violets this year. That puts it equal to the following names which are in the Top 100 and rising:
[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Martha[/name]

As well as the following already in the Top 100 (but moving down):
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Molly[/name]
[name]Rebecca[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]

However, it also puts it equal with these newer names not in the Top 100:
[name]Agatha[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Georgina[/name]
[name]Ottilie[/name]

My feeling is that it will hit the Top 100 within the next few years, but I don’t think it’ll get anywhere near the Top 10. I also think it depends on your social circle and your area, as it won’t be popular everywhere. If you love it, I think you’re safe to use it!

[name]Do[/name] you record The Telegraph [name]BAs[/name] too lamps? :slight_smile: Seriously though, I’m not surprised that [name]Violet[/name] is fairly popular and I think it will become more so as it is so pretty! Thx for answering.

I started recording both, but there were so many duplicates, and I just didn’t have the time to compare properly, so I stuck to just the Times. I think if I do it next year I’ll try to do both, because you do get a mixture across the two publications.

As you say, I do think [name]Violet[/name] will become more popular, but I don’t think it’ll ever get as far as [name]Lily[/name], for example. I suspect a lot of people will use it as a mn rather than a first.

Let us know what you decide! :slight_smile: