Violet or Violette?

I’ve recently fell back in love with [name_f]Violet[/name_f], but I can’t decide if I like [name_f]Violet[/name_f] or [name_f]Violette[/name_f] more. I think both spellings are beautiful but I’m afraid if it is spelled [name_f]Violette[/name_f] it will constantly be misspelled because of how popular the -et is. Maybe [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is a better option if it were used for a first name and [name_f]Violette[/name_f] could be used if it were used as a MN? What are your opinions?

I’d have to agree with what you said. I think [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is perfect for a first name, and [name_f]Violette[/name_f] is perfect for a middle name. But do whatever you love most! :slight_smile:

[name_f]Violette[/name_f] for me, but I am willing to bet taht the majority of berries will prefer [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you saying [name_f]Violette[/name_f] as Vee-oh-let or like [name_f]Violet[/name_f]? If you’re saying them the same I’d stick with [name_f]Violet[/name_f], but if they’re different I’d definitely go with [name_f]Violette[/name_f]; it’s much prettier and more attractive (in terms of sound) in my opinion.

I was going to say exactly this. Seeing [name_f]Violette[/name_f] makes you want to say vee-oh-LETT. If you want the “word” violet pronunciation it’s best to use [name_f]Violet[/name_f].

I prefer [name_f]Violet[/name_f].

[name_f]Violette[/name_f] is charming, yes, but I’d stick to [name_f]Violet[/name_f] if you want the standard English pronunciation.

I like [name_f]Violetta[/name_f] a lot!! Vee-oh-lett-ah. It’s the name of the character in My [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_f]Princess[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f] Ionesco’s film based on her own childhood.

I prefer [name_f]Violet[/name_f].

I read [name_f]Violette[/name_f] as Vee-o-let rather than Vye-(o-)let, so the -ette spelling might not just cause spelling but also prn. issues.
I do think it works in the middle name spot, though.

[name_f]Violette[/name_f] makes me want to say Vee-oh-let. If you’re saying it VIY-let, then I’d go with [name_f]Violet[/name_f].

I much prefer [name_f]Violet[/name_f], so beautiful.

Definitely [name_f]Violet[/name_f] for me. It makes more of a classic statement, but I agree that [name_f]Violette[/name_f] would flow quite nicely as a MN!

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] is better in my opinion. Less fussy.

I’m bothered by the question and the responses. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Violette[/name_f] are not the same name spelled differently. They are different names, with different pronunciation. One is the English word for [name_f]Violet[/name_f], and the other is the [name_m]French[/name_m] word. They are not interchangeable. They are like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. You would not read [name_f]Marie[/name_f] and pronounce it as [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. No one should be pronouncing [name_f]Violette[/name_f] as [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. That isn’t right. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Violette[/name_f] are not like [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliette[/name_f], or [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], or [name_u]Sky[/name_u] and [name_u]Skye[/name_u].

[name_f]Violette[/name_f] is not a “fancy spelling” of the word [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. I’m [name_m]French[/name_m], and that seems ignorant to me. [name_f]Violette[/name_f] is a [name_m]French[/name_m] word. I hope that people will pronounce it correctly, or else spell it [name_f]Violet[/name_f].

[name_f]Violette[/name_f] is much prettier and looks more complete to me, however I do agree that most people will assume it is spelt “violet”. This doesn’t really put me off though, as I am very big on aesthetics and think the name should look as lovely as it actually is.