Violet vs Scarlett !!

See the results of this poll: Scarlett or Violet

Respondents: 24 (This poll is closed)

• Scarlett : 7 (29%)
  • Violet: 17 (71%)

I love them both! [name]Scarlett[/name] is my favorite. I think they Could be used as a sibset but they are a bit matchy sounding. My husband will never go for the first one because he hates the character of [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Ohara[/name]. I still love it though. I think a downfall of violet would be if you didn’t like the nn [name]Vi[/name], bc I could see that being used eventually

I like both names, but I picked [name]Violet[/name] because occasionally [name]Scarlett[/name] comes with a hussy/bad girl association. Actress [name]Scarlett[/name] Johanssen seems to be the current culprit turning people against this name (intelligence gathered from my “real life” conversations).

[name]Violet[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name] could make a cute sibset if you don’t mind the color theme AND matching -lett sound. If there could ever be three girls you might want to consider whether there is another “color” type name or another -lett sounding name you like. I think the -lett sound is probably the most prominent theme, since [name]Violet[/name] could be a flower as well.

They definitely couldn’t be in a sibset together. Too close.
Honestly, I can’t stand either name. I find them both hideous. [name]Violet[/name] sounds like “Violent” to me and [name]Scarlett[/name] starts with “Scar” and sounds too much like “harlot.” I don’t like the way they look written, either. [name]Just[/name] my opinion, though, nothing is really wrong with them.
For some reason, [name]Charlotte[/name] doesn’t bother me- I quite like it, actually. I think probably because it’s a bit more classic than either [name]Violet[/name] or [name]Scarlett[/name]. I like -et names, like [name]Ayelet[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name], just not these two. If I HAD to choose, though, I think I’d go with [name]Violet[/name] because there’s better nn potential.

I voted for [name]Violet[/name] for its vintage charm. The trendy [name]Scarlett[/name] has too many negatives for me (eg. scarlet woman, scarlet fever, spoiled [name]Scarlett[/name] O’[name]Hara[/name]). Personally, I would not have [name]Violet[/name] or [name]Scarlett[/name] in the same sibset. Not only do they end the same but they’re both colors.

I’d choose [name]Violet[/name]. My youngest DD is named [name]Violet[/name], nicknamed Lo. I think its pretty, vintage, classic and feminine.
I don’t care for [name]Scarlett[/name] at all.

I love the vintage vibe of [name]Violet[/name], I have it on my list as an MN. [name]Scarlett[/name] is nice too but also more popular, I have met [name]Scarlett[/name]'s but never once a little [name]Violet[/name]. They could be a nice sibset, but if you have a 3rd daughter she is going to feel left out, unless you can come up with a 3rd color name that ends in -et, which I am not sure even exists.

They’re way too close for a sibset imo.

I like Scarlett more. It feels fresher, younger, more vibrant.

I find Violet to have gotten popular mostly because it’s a celebrity baby name. I still get that old dusty feel to it though. Even the smell of violets makes me think ‘grandma’. I think there are several prettier floral names out there. I don’t hate it, but it doesn’ inspire me.

I have a Scarlett nn Sky and it fits her i also was tring to choose between Violet and Scarlett and wished i could use both but I think they are too close. Both are beatiful.

It’s hard to fault either name, but I went with Violet because of the harsh-ish sounding first syllable of ‘scar’ in Scarlett.

I was sure I replied to this, but apparently not…

I voted for [name]Violet[/name], mainly because it’s a personal favorite of my own, but I also love its soft, sweet, and vintage feel as opposed to the harsher and more demanding [name]Scarlett[/name]. For some reason, [name]Scarlett[/name] has always seemed overly dramatic to me! For me personally, [name]Violet[/name] also has the added bonus of having fairly strong ties to both my grandmother and my dad. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I voted for [name]Scarlett[/name]. It does feel fresher to me, and I like it’s spunky love/hate quality; so I don’t think it will ever be too popular.
It’s just a much stronger girl’s name to me.
I’m not remotely a fan of [name]Violet[/name], I agree with pp that this is very celeb trendy now, despite it being a classic or ‘musty old lady’ name. I may be biased as I am sick to death of seeing it on NB too. It’s just nothing special imo.

My two absolute favorite names! Beautiful colors both of them too. However, since one of my names is [name]Scarlet[/name], I can’t use it so I’d use [name]Violet[/name].

Eh both names are nice enough but pretty sick of [name]Scarlett[/name], it’s a top 10 or 15 name in Australia and especially popular in my city, [name]Violet[/name] is less popular, only top 100 and I like it more simply because it sounds so sweet and I have never met anybody with the name.

I much much prefer [name]Violet[/name]. In my opinion, it is a lot classier than [name]Scarlett[/name]. [name]Scarlett[/name] also has bad girl connotations and is more popular (& trendier!) here. Plus I really like the nn [name]Etta[/name] and it seems a more natural nn for [name]Violet[/name] than [name]Scarlett[/name].

Goodness! I never knew [name]Scarlett[/name] could cause such a harsh reaction from people. I think both names are lovely. I really cant pick one over the other.

Obviously a lot of people like these names, but this is what I see as well.