Violetta: too much name for one child?

I love this name so much! It’s sort of romantic and clunky and gothic and interesting all at the same time, but maybe isn’t very practical for everyday life? :stuck_out_tongue: I do love [name]Violet[/name] too, but not as much - it saddens me that it’s getting so, so popular. Would a [name]Violetta[/name] in a class of Violets feel, well, unnecessary? Especially with no Italian heritage.

Otherwise, suggest me some names! I don’t like long names usually, I think the only exception being [name]Ottoline[/name]… Other favourites are [name]Merle[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Moll[/name]…

Oh, and that’s [name]Violetta[/name] pronounced VEE-OH-[name]LETTA[/name], not [name]VI[/name]-OH-[name]LETTA[/name] (sorry, can’t figure out how to edit posts :frowning: )

It is a bit ott! But not that bad. It is very pretty though. I pronounced it vee-oh-lett-ah. Have you considered [name]Viola[/name] (vee-o-la).

[name]Violetta[/name] [name]Merle[/name] is stunning! As is [name]Merle[/name] [name]Violetta[/name] and [name]Viola[/name] [name]Merle[/name] (I love [name]Merle[/name]…!)… I think [name]Merle[/name] [name]Violetta[/name] would be my favourite though! What do you think?

Not too keen on [name]Hazel[/name] or [name]Molly[/name] though.

[name]Dahlia[/name]

I really like [name]Merle[/name] [name]Violetta[/name] actually!

I do think [name]Violetta[/name] is a little bit much for a first name. I like [name]Viola[/name] much more. Having said that, I wouldn’t say that [name]Henrietta[/name] is too over the top… maybe the first part of the name tones down the frilly factor? [name]Henrietta[/name] or [name]Harriet[/name] with the nn [name]Hattie[/name] are really cute and seem like they might be your style. I also really like [name]Hazel[/name]. [name]Moll[/name] is kind of cool, though very… ‘plain’ in sound. [name]Merle[/name] is interesting but sounds masculine to me. [name]How[/name] about [name]Meryl[/name] instead? [name]Merle[/name] could work in the middle, though. [name]How[/name] about:

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Violetta[/name]*
[name]Meryl[/name] [name]Violetta[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] [name]Merle[/name]/[name]Meryl[/name]/[name]Moll[/name]
[name]Henrietta[/name] [name]Merle[/name]
/[name]Moll[/name] nn [name]Hattie[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Merle[/name]/[name]Moll[/name]
[name]Ottoline[/name] [name]Merle[/name]/[name]Meryl[/name]/[name]Moll[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I think [name]Violetta[/name] is just on the right side of usable- if [name]Isabella[/name] is the #1 name, [name]Violetta[/name] is certainly not crazy! I think it’s an absolutely stunning name and could work marvelously, especially with a nickname- [name]Etta[/name] is obvious, and I don’t think [name]Lea[/name] or [name]Io[/name] are too much of a stretch. I’d pick a pretty simple, very English, very recognizable middle name, though- [name]Jane[/name], [name]Claire[/name], [name]Grace[/name], etc. I actually like [name]Violetta[/name] and [name]Violette[/name] much more than [name]Violet[/name]- [name]Violet[/name] sounds really harsh and too close to “Violent” for me.

Perceptions aside, I don’t think that [name]Violet[/name] is really that popular or becoming that popular, so I don’t really see a risk of being lost in a sea of Violets (though I suppose it depends on where you live). That said, I prefer [name]Violette[/name] to [name]Violetta[/name]. I feel like [name]Violette[/name] has a spunky charm while [name]Violetta[/name] is a bit ponderous as a first name to me for some reason. And the other issue is that I think most people will pronounce it as “VYE-oh-lette” or “VYE-oh-letta”, and as someone who constantly has to pronounce her name for people, that gets really old really quickly.

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Violetta[/name] has a lovely flow – I really like that combo.

Not at all! I adore [name]Violetta[/name], it’s much more interesting than [name]Violet[/name]. I really dig it. And [name]Violetta[/name] [name]Merle[/name] is so awesome! I also love [name]Ottoline[/name]. [name]Violetta[/name] and [name]Ottoline[/name] would make a heavenly sibset! And if she wanted to go buy something more simple [name]Lettie[/name] is a great nickname. But for other ideas how about…

[name]Enid[/name]
Quelle ([name]Said[/name] KELL)
[name]Tallis[/name] ([name]Love[/name] this!)
[name]Hero[/name]
[name]Suki[/name]
Sri (SHREE)
Iowa
[name]Tanith[/name] ([name]TAH[/name]-neeth)
Erato ([name]AIR[/name]-ah-toh)
[name]Nella[/name]
[name]Eowyn[/name]
[name]Temple[/name]

HTH!

I like it, but like some of the others I prefer [name]Viola[/name]. It’s like [name]Violetta[/name], but less over the top and more differentiated from [name]Violet[/name].