Vivian or Vivienne?

[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] is more popular in the US and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] in the UK and [name_f]France[/name_f]. This will be an Australian baby - please reply with where in the world you live and why you like that spelling better - I feel people’s answers are going to change depending on their location!
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] or [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]?

I’m also in Australia and much prefer the [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] spelling. I just find it more feminine and less “older lady”, if that makes sense! It’s just been added to my list :slight_smile:

Prob [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] but think either is great

I live in the US but I prefer [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]!

I’m in the UK and I favour [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]

I live in the US and I prefer [name_u]Vivian[/name_u].

1 Like

I’m in Australia and I prefer [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]. I still think [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] is beautiful, though, I just prefer first names that are more concise. I would also be inclined to pronounce [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] as viv-ee-EN instead of [name_f]VIV[/name_f]-ee-an.

I prefer [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f].

I strongly prefer [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]. It feels more straightforward and less frilly. I also would pronounce these names slightly differently, though – [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] as [name_f]VIV[/name_f]-ee-in and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] and viv-ee-EN.

1 Like

My preference is [name_u]Vivien[/name_u], and I’m in Australia. Because of [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] [name_u]Leigh[/name_u] (who changed her name from [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]) and because I still see [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] as a male name because of its history, and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] feels too fussy.

From the us and strongly prefer [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] as it feels stronger…

I’m wanky enough to pronounce them a little differently: Viviyan versus [name_f]Vivi[/name_f]-enn (which I prefer - [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]). I have a friend (in [name_m]Oz[/name_m]) called [name_u]Vivien[/name_u]. [name_f]May[/name_f] not make it easier, as possibly the least feminine looking. I’m personally more into [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] nn [name_f]Viv[/name_f]/[name_f]Vivi[/name_f].

I am in Australia and I prefer [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]. I think it looks prettier with that spelling.