Vivien or Vivian

My husband and I cannot agree on a spelling. Which looks best and are both acceptable? Is the change in vowel as simple as preference like [name]Katherine[/name]/[name]Catherine[/name] or is it a crazy tryndee vowel switch-a-roo like [name]Madison[/name]/Madysyn? Neither of us like [name]Vivienne[/name]. thanks!!

As far as I know [name]Vivian[/name] is the more classic spelling but [name]Vivien[/name] is famous because of the actress [name]Vivien[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] (born [name]Vivian[/name]). I think it’s considered a legitimate spelling too though, very much like [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Catherine[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t quote me though!

I certainly wouldn’t see it as trendy. I prefer the [name]Vivien[/name] spelling because I tend to pronounce it slightly differently, with more emphases on the “en”.

I say:

[name]Vivian[/name] - [name]VIV[/name]-ee-un
[name]Vivien[/name] - viv-ee-EN

that’s probably wrong as I know [name]Vivienne[/name] is viv-ee-EN but that’s how I say it in my head when I see it!

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Viviana[/name]? That’s my personal fav.

Yes, [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] did change her name to [name]Vivien[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] (I’ve never found why, other than the e looks good with [name]Leigh[/name]?). I think she makes the [name]Vivien[/name] spelling legitimate! So, I’d say go with whichever looks better with your last name (I say them both the same).

i think either spelling is nice but personally i would go for [name]Vivien[/name]. i’m a big gone with the wind/vivien leigh fan so that has a little bit to do with it. :slight_smile: