Vonnoh

What do you think of this as a first name? I realize that it’s not traditionally a name, but it’s a really important family surname that I had somehow never considered until a few days ago. It’s got such a simple sound that I think it could work. It’s like a combination of [name]Vaughn[/name] (which i love) and other O-enders like [name]Milo[/name] and [name]Arlo[/name] (which i also love). It seems to have the best of both worlds, “fitting in and standing out”… I like that no one else would share his name, and the fact that he’d be named for someone inspiring.

the combo I keep thinking about is Vonnoh [name]Walter[/name] [name]Drake[/name].

I’d rather Vonnoh in the middle. It’s a bit too odd for me. Might work for the other half but not me! [name]Walter[/name] Vonnogh [name]Drake[/name] sounds pretty cool to me, if that would float your boat?

unfortunately, practically all -er enders are out with our last name, especially those with two syllables. I’m surprised it’s too odd for you! it definitely is odd, but I’m not sure it’s too odd… i feel like it would seem more normal with a different spelling. Also, I figure if he doesn’t like it, he can just go by [name]Vaughn[/name].

I hear two things: [name]Bono[/name] and Vonage (which leads to the woo-ooh song).

[name]Hi[/name] there… Vonnoh…Hmm…Well, my first thought was that it was meant to read “Vannah,” and I was pretty confused. It’s definitely different, but for me, it’s a middle name, not a first. That said, you need to pick whatever name works for you. I like [name]Vaughan[/name] much better, and am wondering about the combination of [name]Vaughan[/name] [name]Oliver[/name], which gives you the “[name]Vaughan[/name]-O” sound.

You could actually use any “O” name ([name]Vaughan[/name] [name]Owen[/name], [name]Vaughan[/name] [name]Oscar[/name], etc.), and it would work quite well.

that’s a really interesting idea, [name]Jill[/name]. I think it only works with the names that actually start with the O sound, like [name]Owen[/name], not [name]Oscar[/name]. I do like it in theory, but I think it sort of defeats the purpose. Plus, the only O names that have any meaning to me are [name]Otmar[/name] and [name]Orlando[/name]. And I don’t particularly love either of those. Also, I have soooooo many contenders for middle names, but have practically nothing for firsts. I have always liked [name]Vaughn[/name], which is why this appeals to me. I just found out [name]Von[/name] means “hope” in Norse, which I really like. I don’t know, I just want something distinctive, but not absurd, with a lot of meaning. I’m having the hardest time finding the perfect name, and I’ve only got 2 weeks left!

Is [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]August[/name] [name]Nick[/name] gone? (I think that was your name!) If he’s gone, I miss him! :slight_smile:

[name]Do[/name] you have a list of other family names? Maybe you could list everything and we could all have a field day mixing and matching…

Oh! With the “o” thing, I was going for the middle initial “O,” not necessarily the long “O” sound. I thought it would look cool to write [name]Vaughn[/name] O. (insert last name).

I miss [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]August[/name] [name]Nick[/name], too. He is brilliantly stylish.

[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]August[/name] [name]Nick[/name] is most definitely NOT gone! Still totally love him, just fully exploring our options before we commit!

You’re right about [name]Vaughn[/name] O. looking cool, I tried writing it out and it really does look great. I kinda really like the way [name]Vaughn[/name] [name]Orlando[/name] sounds, actually… I never thought about it before, but O is a pretty neat middle initial in general.

I am SO going to make a list of all my names and ask for your help, that’s a fantastic idea!

Ooh! [name]Vaughn[/name] [name]Orlando[/name] does sound great. What about [name]Vaughn[/name] [name]Orlando[/name] [name]Nick[/name] or [name]Vaughn[/name] [name]Orlando[/name] [name]August[/name]? [name]August[/name] [name]Orlando[/name] [name]Nick[/name], [name]August[/name] [name]Vaughn[/name] [name]Orlando[/name], and [name]August[/name] [name]Orlando[/name] [name]Vaughn[/name] are great, as is [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]August[/name] Vonnoh. (It’s not my baby, of course, but I have nothing against Vonnoh as a middle name.) [name]August[/name] Vonnoh [name]Nick[/name] is cool, too, and like most of the others, it incorporates three names with sentimental value for you. Oh! What about [name]Orlando[/name] [name]August[/name] [name]Nick[/name]? So many possiblities! :slight_smile:

I thought the same thing about using [name]Vaughn[/name] and an O name as a middle name :slight_smile: But then again, I’m ridiculously biased, I love O names. I quit like [name]Vaughn[/name] too!!
I’m glad [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]August[/name] [name]Nick[/name] isn’t gone. I think it’s a stunning combination.
When are you due? [name]How[/name] much time do you have before committing?