Vowel Names! [skip to page two for combos!]

[name]Hi[/name],

I love the way names starting with a vowel sound when all said together, such as when calling for siblings! Because of this, i’m looking for some vowel names for my baby girl! (not sure of the gender, but just looking at girl names for now). Some we like but won’t be using are: [name]Ava[/name], [name]Ariel[/name], [name]Maya[/name], [name]Reese[/name], [name]Piper[/name], [name]Lane[/name], [name]Lana[/name], and Irelyn. We tend to not like vintage names or names with strong religious connotations/meanings, but if you find one you think is really great, then suggest it! Middle name will either be [name]Annika[/name] or [name]Wynn[/name], and big brother is [name]Owen[/name] [name]Felix[/name]. Last name is Belsh” (pn bell-[name]SHAY[/name]). Thank you!

Why not use [name]Annika[/name] as a first name? I think it’s absolutely gorgeous! [name]Annika[/name] [name]Wynn[/name] Belshe

Other vowel names:

[name]Anya[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Eira[/name]
[name]Odette[/name]
[name]Acacia[/name]
[name]Abriel[/name]
[name]Ariel[/name]
[name]Adair[/name]
[name]Adalyn[/name]
[name]Adora[/name]
Ailith
[name]Ailsa[/name]
[name]Aisling[/name]
[name]Althea[/name]
[name]Alethia[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Analie[/name]/Onalie
[name]Annise[/name]
[name]Antoinette[/name]
[name]Azalea[/name]
[name]Elysia[/name]
Avonlea
[name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Aster[/name]
[name]Audria[/name]
[name]Arwen[/name]
[name]Anwen[/name]
Eleva
[name]Amira[/name]
[name]Amalie[/name]
[name]Ana[/name]
[name]Analiese[/name]
[name]Anora[/name]/[name]Enora[/name]

Whew!
I think I’ll leave some of the other vowels to be explored by some of the other posters!

Good luck!

Well, here’s my problem with [name]Annika[/name]: I am terrified of the nickname [name]Annie[/name]. I just don’t like it for some reason, and it seems like every one who carries an [name]Ann[/name]- name becomes an [name]Annie[/name] at some point in their life. [name]Annika[/name] is in honor of my mother, [name]Anne[/name], who doesn’t have a middle name for me to work with (it was a tradition on her side of the family to not give middle names - she ended that tradition with me and my siblings), and so I’d love to use an [name]Ann[/name]- variation somewhere in the name. [name]Do[/name] you think an [name]Annika[/name] could remain an [name]Annika[/name]?

Some that stand out for me from your list are: [name]Eira[/name] (how do you pronounce this? I tried looking it up, but I seem to be getting a mixed bag…), [name]Isla[/name] (getting popular?), [name]Adalyn[/name] (I’m liking this!!), [name]Althea[/name] (love nn [name]Thea[/name]!), [name]Aurora[/name] ([name]Rory[/name] is a cute nickname), [name]Amalie[/name] (cute!), and [name]Anora[/name]/[name]Enora[/name] (could I avoid the [name]Annie[/name] nickname by going with [name]Enora[/name]?)

Thank you so much for your ideas! I’ve got a great starting list that I have to run by hubby and test run, but hopefully I can get some more to add to it!

hmmm some vowel names…

Adonia
Amala
[name]Amalina[/name]
Amarise
[name]Amaury[/name]
Apria
[name]Arianne[/name]
[name]Aveline[/name]
Avonlea
[name]Auburn[/name]
[name]Ayelet[/name]
[name]Ayla[/name]
[name]Early[/name]
[name]Eira[/name] (I always thought it was eye-ra)
[name]Eleni[/name] (eh-lay-ni)
[name]Eletta[/name]
Everlyse
[name]Idona[/name]
[name]Imala[/name]
Imerie
[name]Indah[/name]
[name]Indigo[/name]
Irais (ee-die-ees)
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Ivory[/name]
[name]Oriel[/name]
[name]Omaira[/name]
[name]Olena[/name]
[name]Oakley[/name]
[name]October[/name]
[name]Oliana[/name]

Honestly I’ve never known an [name]Annika[/name] or [name]Analiese[/name] who ended up being [name]Annie[/name]-- mostly because they have the darker “[name]Ah[/name]” sound rather than the bright “a” sound in cat and [name]Ann[/name].
Are you pronouncing it as [name]ANN[/name]-i-kah, or AHN-i-kah?

Ultimately your child will have control over her nicknames or lack thereof, but if you set the standard and just correct people if they try to call her [name]Annie[/name], I think they will get the point.

I actually wanted a nn as a child and never was able to get one, despite some obvious options! So for what it’s worth, sometimes nicknames never develop!

I hear you though, I personally prefer my children not to have nicknames, and that’s difficult because it’s not something you can ultimately control.

I love the names that you said you liked from my list too!

A couple thoughts on those:

[name]Eira[/name] – as far as I’ve heard it, it’s AY-ra, Welsh for [name]Snow[/name]. I love it!

[name]Isla[/name] is sadly getting popular but I just love it!

[name]Adalyn[/name] – I think it’s darling, and know a little 4-year old [name]Adalyn[/name] who wears it well. The one draw back in my mind is that it will ultimately have connections to the much used [name]Madelyn[/name]/[name]Madeline[/name].

[name]Anora[/name]/[name]Enora[/name] – I don’t think you’d have the [name]Annie[/name] problem since the emphasis is on the second syllable.

I’ll move a little beyond the A’s (and other bits) for you now in case you’d like to add to your list:

[name]Echo[/name]
[name]Eden[/name]
[name]Eila[/name]
Eilonwy
Eilwen
Elanora
[name]Elea[/name]
[name]Eleni[/name]
[name]Elettra[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Elina[/name]
[name]Eliora[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Ellia[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Elora[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Emer[/name]
Emika
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Emme[/name]
[name]Enya[/name]
Eponine
Eriana
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Estelle[/name]
[name]Esther[/name]
[name]Etta[/name]
[name]Eudora[/name]
[name]Eugenia[/name]
[name]Eulalie[/name]
[name]Evalina[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Evangelia[/name]
Evany
[name]Evelia[/name]
[name]Ever[/name]
Evora
Eyre

There are some Es for you!

I names:
[name]Ianthe[/name]
[name]Ilaria[/name]
[name]Ilsa[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
Inara
[name]Indigo[/name]
[name]Indra[/name]
[name]Indira[/name]
[name]Inez[/name]
[name]Inga[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Iolanthe[/name]
[name]Ione[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]/[name]Irena[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Isabeau[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Iselin[/name]
[name]Isolde[/name]/[name]Iseult[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]

O names:
[name]Oceane[/name]/[name]Oceana[/name]
[name]Octavia[/name]
[name]Odelia[/name]
[name]Odessa[/name]
[name]Olena[/name]
Olette
[name]Olga[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Ona[/name]
[name]Ondine[/name]
[name]Oona[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Ora[/name]
[name]Oralia[/name]
[name]Orchid[/name]
[name]Oriana[/name]
[name]Ottilie[/name]

U names:
[name]Una[/name]
[name]Uma[/name]
[name]Unity[/name]
[name]Ursula[/name]

Y names:
[name]Yana[/name]
[name]Yasmin[/name]
[name]Yelena[/name]
[name]Yesenia[/name]
[name]Yohanna[/name]
[name]Yolanda[/name]
Ysanne
[name]Yvette[/name]

[name]Eliza[/name] or [name]Ivy[/name] would be my choices. I think [name]Eliza[/name] sounds nice with [name]Owen[/name].

Thanks for the awesome lists and responses! You guys are giving me so much to work with here :slight_smile:

I had been pronouncing [name]Annika[/name] as [name]ANN[/name]-i-kah, but, I like the sound of the AHN-i-kah pronunciation and that would help me avoid having a little [name]Annie[/name]. I’ve picked out quite a few names from the lists, though, so we’ll see…

The names that survived hubby’s cuts:
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Eira[/name] (going with the AY-ra pronunciation)
[name]Adalyn[/name]
[name]Amalie[/name]

My new names from the lists (which are so full and thoughtful and awesome):
[name]Elena[/name] (eh-lay-na)
Eilonwy (eye-LAHN-wee, I belive) - what I love about this name is that it is unique and different (at least to me) without being too out there…it has recognizable sounds and parts, and it brings us to the nickname [name]Eila[/name] (EYE-la), while still having a longer name.
[name]Eliora[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] - I [name]LOVE[/name] this with [name]Owen[/name]…[name]Owen[/name] & [name]Eloise[/name] sounds so cute! But, not sure how much I love it on its own (which is more important…)
[name]Eliza[/name] - also sounds great with [name]Owen[/name], as mentioned
[name]Eulalia[/name]
Evora
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Ione[/name]
[name]Irina[/name]
[name]Oralia[/name]
Ottile
[name]Oona[/name] - I like [name]Oona[/name] and the simplicity of its meaning and sound on its own, but not sure if I could say [name]Oona[/name] & [name]Owen[/name] fifty times a day…

Once again, any thoughts on this narrowed down list is appreciated, and hopefully, hubby and I can start cutting even farther and determining final combos! (I want to have some time to make sure it is the PERFECT name before our little baby is born)

Thank you!

There are so many wonderful choices. From your list I love [name]Eliza[/name] followed by [name]Isla[/name]. [name]Owen[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name]/[name]Isla[/name] sound so adorable. Other names you may like that I don’t think have been mentioned.

[name]Aiyana[/name]
Aliona
Alora/[name]Elora[/name]
[name]Azaria[/name]
[name]Athena[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
Esmira
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Eleri[/name] (e-[name]LAY[/name] -ree)

Again, you’ve picked great names from the lists! (I really like your taste in names! Very similar to mine!) :slight_smile:

I’m thrilled that you like Eilonwy! (yes, it’s eye-LAHN-wee) This is one of my all time favorites, and a favorite character in a series, but I don’t know that we are brave enough to use it! (And I also love [name]Eila[/name] --EYE-la-- as a nickname!)

Hm, I would agree that [name]Oona[/name] and [name]Owen[/name] might get a bit tongue twisting after awhile.

Basically I love all the names you mentioned, so let us know which ones your hubby likes from this new list and we’ll work on helping you narrow it down from there! :slight_smile:

I’m glad we have such similar tastes because you’ve provided such an amazing list! I could never have found all these wonderful names on my own.

Luckily, hubby and I also share similar preferences when it comes to names, but, he ultimately trimmed the list quite a bit. Here’s a list of our favorites with [name]Annika[/name] or [name]Wynn[/name] as the middles in case anyone wants to share their thoughts:

[name]Annika[/name] [name]Wynn[/name] Belsh” (going with AHN-i-kah pronunciation)
Eilonwy [name]Annika[/name] Belsh” ([name]ANN[/name]-i-kah) nn [name]Eila[/name] (EYE-la)
[name]Isla[/name] [name]Annika[/name] Belsh”
[name]Adalyn[/name] [name]Annika[/name] Belsh”
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Annika[/name] Belsh” / [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Wynn[/name] Belsh”
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wynn[/name] Belsh”
[name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Annika[/name] Belsh”
[name]Ione[/name] [name]Wynn[/name] Belsh”
Ottile [name]Wynn[/name] Belsh” / Ottile [name]Annika[/name] Belsh”

It’s a pretty big list, so hopefully you all can help us narrow it down. Once again, big bro is [name]Owen[/name] [name]Felix[/name]. Thank you!!!

Well, here’s my problem with [name]Annika[/name]: I am terrified of the nickname [name]Annie[/name]. I just don’t like it for some reason, and it seems like every one who carries an [name]Ann[/name]- name becomes an [name]Annie[/name] at some point in their life. [name]Annika[/name] is in honor of my mother, [name]Anne[/name], who doesn’t have a middle name for me to work with (it was a tradition on her side of the family to not give middle names - she ended that tradition with me and my siblings), and so I’d love to use an [name]Ann[/name]- variation somewhere in the name. [name]Do[/name] you think an [name]Annika[/name] could remain an [name]Annika[/name]?

So here is my thought on this subject. My little cousin’s name is [name]Madeleine[/name] she is 7. My sister’s name is Maddisen and is 16, we call her [name]Maddi[/name], my Aunt desperately did not want my cousin to [name]EVER[/name] have the nn [name]Maddi[/name]. Most people with the name [name]Madeleine[/name]/[name]Madison[/name] or whatever are forced into some point to be called [name]Maddi[/name] like you said with the whole [name]Annie[/name] situation. However from birth my cousin has been called [name]Madeleine[/name] and that is it. Nobody calls her anything else even in school. So I think for sure if you really like the name [name]Annika[/name] then that is what your daughter would be called. It is up to you and if that is the name she goes by then that is it - there is no discussion on the subject from an outside perspective, ie. teachers, family and friends.

[name]Annika[/name] [name]Wynn[/name] Belsh” (going with AHN-i-kah pronunciation) - I think this is cute.

Eilonwy [name]Annika[/name] Belsh” ([name]ANN[/name]-i-kah) nn [name]Eila[/name] (EYE-la) - I don’t know where you live but this will probably be mispronounced nearly everywhere. I also don’t like the -wee at the end, seems weird.

[name]Isla[/name] [name]Annika[/name] Belsh” - Cute.

[name]Adalyn[/name] [name]Annika[/name] Belsh” - Seem very, very trendy.

[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Annika[/name] Belsh” / [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Wynn[/name] Belsh” - I love [name]Eloise[/name] and it is great with [name]Owen[/name]! I think [name]Annika[/name] as a middle sounds great! The repeating W-sounds in [name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Wynn[/name] trips me up.

[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wynn[/name] Belsh” - [name]Lovely[/name]! [name]Eliza[/name] is a great name :slight_smile:

[name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Annika[/name] Belsh” - Although it is a pretty harsh name, I think [name]Ingrid[/name] is pretty.

[name]Ione[/name] [name]Wynn[/name] Belsh” - [name]Way[/name] too similar to [name]Owen[/name]!

Ottile [name]Wynn[/name] Belsh” / Ottile [name]Annika[/name] Belsh” - Not a fan.

I think [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Ingrid[/name] are the best choices, and they go really well with [name]Owen[/name]. Good luck :slight_smile:

I’m so glad I could help! :slight_smile:
Here are my thoughts on your combos:

[name]Annika[/name] [name]Wynn[/name] Belsh” – Still my absolute favorite. I think it flows beautifully, and I know it’s a name you love! With the Ahn- pronunciation, I doubt you would run into anyone who would call her [name]Annie[/name].
I also think [name]Annika[/name] is so beautiful paired with [name]Owen[/name]!

Eilonwy [name]Annika[/name] Belsh” – You know I love Eilonwy, and I do think it’s one of the most phonetic Welsh-derived names I’ve seen, but it can get to be a mouthful, especially with [name]Annika[/name] in the middle. Something about the repeated “Ahn” sounds throws me off, I think. However, [name]Wynn[/name] would be even worse with it, so I unfortunately do not think this is the best option.

[name]Isla[/name] [name]Annika[/name] Belsh” – The names blend into each other too much. If it was Isly/Ily [name]Annika[/name] it would work for me. You also seem to be someone who would like to shy away from popular names, and I think this one is going to get up there.

[name]Adalyn[/name] [name]Annika[/name] Belsh” – I like a lot of the other combos a lot more. Another thought-- [name]Adalyn[/name] may not escape being called [name]Addy[/name], in case that is a deterrent for you.

[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Annika[/name] Belsh” / [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Wynn[/name] Belsh” – I prefer [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Annika[/name], I think. It flows nicely but for some reason, I just like some of the other names better.

[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wynn[/name] Belsh” – Beautiful flow!

[name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Annika[/name] Belsh” – I love [name]Ingrid[/name]! [name]Love[/name] the flow of this one too!

[name]Ione[/name] [name]Wynn[/name] Belsh” – Somehow this doesn’t flow for me, and I agree that it’s pretty tongue twisting with [name]Owen[/name]. There’s also [name]Iona[/name], and I think that would work out better.

Ottile [name]Wynn[/name] Belsh” / Ottile [name]Annika[/name] Belsh” – I assume this is pronounced like [name]Ottilie[/name]. I like it a lot, actually – very unusual but still very accessible… Ottile [name]Wynn[/name] is my preference between the two.

Okay so my personal favorites are [name]Annika[/name] [name]Wynn[/name], [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wynn[/name], [name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Annika[/name], and Ottile [name]Wynn[/name], and although all of the names you and your husband agree on are fabulous, I’m throwing my full support behind [name]Annika[/name] [name]Wynn[/name]!

I’m eager to see how your list gets narrowed down next! :slight_smile:

Have a great day!