Want to honor the grandfathers....

The maternal grandfather’s name is [name]James[/name].

The paternal grandfather’s name is [name]Kenny[/name].

[name]One[/name] idea is to name our son [name]James[/name] [name]Kenny[/name] and use the nick name [name]Jake[/name] (first two letters of the first and second name). But a close friend has a son named [name]Jake[/name], and I’m leaning toward avoiding [name]Jake[/name].

Another idea is to name him [name]Kenny[/name]-[name]James[/name] as a hyphenated first name. We want to eliminate confusion with calling him [name]James[/name] or [name]Kenny[/name]. And we havent come up with a good nickname for [name]Kenny[/name] [name]James[/name]. Wife doesnt like [name]Ken[/name] or [name]Jim[/name], and I’m not too crazy about it.

So…we are leaning toward [name]Kenny[/name]-[name]James[/name] and arent planning to share the name until the birth day. Thus, I’m turning to you guys for initial impressions and thoughts.

Dont hold back if you hate it. Appreciate the input.

I really like [name]Kenny[/name]-[name]James[/name], but I would be worried that it would inevitably just get shortened to [name]Kenny[/name]. I like the idea of [name]Jake[/name] (a friend’s ex-boyfriend is [name]James[/name] III who goes by [name]Jake[/name]). Another nickname is [name]Jaime[/name]. Or [name]Jimmy[/name]. I actually know a baby who is [name]James[/name] [name]Jr[/name]. and gets called Jimmer. Maybe use the more formal name of [name]Kenneth[/name]? Or even [name]Kendal[/name], although I personally don’t really like that one. Lengthen [name]James[/name] to [name]Jameson[/name]? But again, I’m not crazy about [name]Jameson[/name]. Hmmm…this is tough. He could always go by KJ. I’ll let you know if I think of anything else! Good luck!

[name]Jay[/name] would also be a good nickname for [name]James[/name]. [name]Just[/name] a thought.

I think a hyphenated first name would only lead to worlds of confusion. I’d say either go for [name]Kenny[/name] [name]James[/name] or [name]James[/name] [name]Kenny[/name]. As far as nicknames go, I agree with [name]Jay[/name] or [name]Jimmy[/name], or even JK. Plus, [name]Kenny[/name] is kind of a nickname in itself, if you go that route. Another option is to choose a first name you both agree to and give your son either a hyphenated middle name or two middle names. Good luck!

Thank you both for the input. We are already discussing!

We are in the South, and we both have multiple family members that go by their first and second name (ie. [name]Robert[/name] [name]Lee[/name], [name]James[/name] [name]Robert[/name], [name]Jennie[/name] [name]Sue[/name], [name]Kathryn[/name] [name]Lee[/name], etc). Within weeks, we would have [name]Kenny[/name]-[name]James[/name] rolling off the tongue. So if we went with [name]Kenny[/name]-[name]James[/name], we wonder what an appropriate middle name, if any is necessary, would be. Our last is two-syllable.

Still interested in any other input.

Out of your options I would do [name]Kenny[/name]-[name]James[/name] and for a nn I would like KJ

Leonielee, you bring up one of our concerns with the confusion of they hyphen. If we could come up with a good nickname other than [name]Jim[/name], [name]Ken[/name], [name]Jake[/name], or [name]Jamey[/name], I think we would be happy. Gapeach’s suggestion of [name]Jay[/name] is one I like. Wife was sort of “meh”.

What about Jamo? I know a guy named [name]James[/name] who goes by this.

Please let us know what you decide…I’m curious!

As for the middle name if you named him [name]Kenny[/name]-[name]James[/name], I don’t think it’s necessary but it would be fine. [name]Just[/name] keep it simple ([name]Lee[/name], [name]John[/name], [name]Andrew[/name], [name]Sam[/name], [name]Robert[/name])

I don’t care for the hyphen either. I’d probably rush it and it’d end up sounding really weird. If you want to call him [name]Kenny[/name] [name]James[/name], why don’t you give him three names- I have plenty of Southern relatives who did that. As for nns for [name]James[/name], I like [name]Jay[/name]. It’s a bit removed, but what about [name]Jett[/name] or [name]Jack[/name]?

Would you be open to: naming him [name]James[/name] [name]Kenny[/name] ([name]James[/name] as FN, [name]Kenny[/name] as MN) and calling him [name]James[/name] most of the time. When you are with your wife’s family, call him [name]Jake[/name] or [name]Kenny[/name] or young [name]James[/name] (as I’ve heard of others doing) as not to confuse him with his grandfather. It would be like a special family nickname.

Or: name him [name]James[/name] [name]Kenny[/name] and call him [name]Jake[/name], except when you are around your friend’s [name]Jake[/name] in which case he would go by [name]James[/name].

[name]IMO[/name] nicknames as flexible, and can be different with different people. He could have a nickname based on his initials or your last name- I know people who do that.

I don’t know how I feel about the hyphenated name … what about [name]Kenneth[/name] [name]James[/name] nn [name]Kenny[/name]? [name]James[/name] is a common middle name, and although [name]James[/name] is to honor a maternal grandfather, with sons it’s more common to honor paternal grandfathers first.

Well I’m from the South too and I never cared for hyphens. I prefer calling someone by their first and middle. [name]James[/name] [name]Kenny[/name] or [name]James[/name] [name]Kenneth[/name] sound and look a lot better than [name]Kenny[/name]-[name]James[/name].

[name]One[/name] of my favorite combos is Jasper Kelly, nn [name]Jak[/name]. So James Kenny could go by [name]Jak[/name]/[name]Jack[/name]

Based on all your input on this forum, a hyphenated [name]Kenny[/name]-[name]James[/name] is out.

Our surname is Ashcraft, so we are looking at [name]Kenny[/name] [name]James[/name] Ashcraft. My wife thinks we should call him [name]Kenny[/name] [name]James[/name] as his everyday common handle. I’m still inclined toward a nickname. Maybe KJ or [name]Jay[/name].

I worked with a girl who had a hyphenated last name and we always called her KJ. I like that nn.

KJ, [name]Jay[/name], and [name]Kenny[/name] [name]James[/name] as one name are all good to me. If she wanted him to go [name]Kenny[/name] [name]James[/name], maybe you could give him a nickname, just between father and son? I think that would be cute.

I don’t really like [name]Kenny[/name] as a given name, as it sounds like a nn already. Would you consider using a longer form of the name?
I love the name [name]Kenyon[/name] and I think it would work well for you as you could use the nn [name]Kenny[/name] and avoid [name]Ken[/name]. I also have always liked the nickname [name]Jem[/name] from To Kill A Mockingbird. I wonder if it would work on its own as a middle? [name]Kenyon[/name] [name]Jem[/name]? [name]Kenyon[/name] [name]James[/name] “[name]Kenny[/name] [name]James[/name]” is my favorite option though.

I would avoid a hyphenated name (I personally hate them). I would say [name]James[/name] (fn) [name]Kenny[/name] (mn) and you could call the baby [name]James[/name] or whatever else you like once he is born. Good luck!

We’ve had using [name]Kenny[/name] [name]James[/name] suggested as two middle names , and we kind of like it. Our surname is Ashcraft. So! We would be looking at something like maybe [name]Blake[/name] [name]Kenny[/name] [name]James[/name] Ashcraft, [name]Harry[/name] [name]Kenny[/name] [name]James[/name] Ashcraft, or [name]Reagan[/name] [name]Kenny[/name] [name]James[/name] Ashcraft? We have a lot oh first names to consider. Thoughts on the idea of two middle names??

I have two middle names and love it and they both honor my grandmothers. My first name is a name my mom always liked (and honors her favorite saint). So I am totally for two middle names! In fact, I’m due with my first in [name]September[/name] and we are giving her two middle names.