Wanted: Critiques and Combinations

I’ve been going over my list a lot this summer - a few of my friends are pregnant/TTC and I guess that’s why I can’t stop thinking about names! I’m still a couple of years away from trying, but I can’t help making lists!

I’d love some opinions on my girls’ list…here are my top contenders, and my list of middle names (all family/meaningful names). [name]Even[/name] though I really like all of my top choices, none has ever felt exactly right. I’d appreciate suggestions, and especially some combinations.

Top girls names (in no particular order):
[name]Vera[/name] (Vair-uh…I really don’t like “[name]Veer[/name]-uh”)
[name]Eleanor[/name] (my partner loves this one)
[name]Norah[/name] (he loves this too)
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] (4 syllables seem too long sometimes)

Middles (in order of preference):
[name]Catherine[/name] or [name]Kathryn[/name]
[name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Ada[/name] or [name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]

I’d love to hear your thoughts Berries!

I love [name]Felicity[/name]! Maybe [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] or [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name]. [name]Cordelia[/name] is pretty too. What about [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Elise[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Elaine[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Elena[/name]/[name]Elaina[/name], or [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Kathryn[/name].

[name]Vera[/name] - I love the name [name]Vera[/name]. I’ve never heard it pronounced Vair-uh but I could get on boad. It’s pretty. I like [name]Vera[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] and [name]Vera[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] the best.
[name]Eleanor[/name] - I like [name]Eleanor[/name] especially with the nn [name]Nora[/name]. I like [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Ada[/name] as combos.
[name]Norah[/name]- I may be in the minority but I perfer [name]Norah[/name] as a nickname and without the “h”. Otherwise, I like [name]Nora[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Nora[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] and [name]Nora[/name] [name]Elise[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]- [name]Love[/name] this! Its so cute and spunky and it means “happy”. [name]Favorite[/name] combos would be [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] and [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Ada[/name].
[name]Calla[/name]- NMS but its alright. I prefer [name]Calista[/name]. I like [name]Calla[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name].
[name]Meredith[/name]- NMS, sounds too grown up to me but its fine. I like [name]Meredith[/name] [name]Elise[/name].
[name]Lillian[/name]- I’ve never been a fan of [name]Lillian[/name], its a good name but there was a scary ghost called [name]Lillian[/name] in a childhood book of mine so thats why. But the combos [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Ada[/name], [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Elaine[/name], and [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Elise[/name] are nice.
[name]Cordelia[/name]- I love [name]Cordelia[/name], its classic but different. I dont think four syllables is too much at all. I like [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name], and [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Elise[/name].

Suggestions:
[name]Callista[/name]
[name]Lilia[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Isabelle[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]

[name]Vera[/name] - I’d steer away from a name if one of the common pronunciations really bothers you, pronunciation is easy to suggest and hard to control. What about [name]Farrah[/name]? or [name]Verity[/name]?
[name]Eleanor[/name] - beautiful name, I like the [name]Elinor[/name] spelling a bit better but it’s lovely
[name]Norah[/name] - pretty, I also like [name]Cora[/name] a lot
[name]Felicity[/name] - okay, not one of my favorites though, what about [name]Fiona[/name] or [name]Cecilia[/name]?
[name]Calla[/name] - nice :slight_smile:
[name]Meredith[/name] - okay, I have a bad association with this one, what about [name]Merida[/name]?
[name]Lillian[/name] - okay, I prefer just [name]Lily[/name] or [name]Jillian[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] - I think it’s lovely and has a lot of versatility, [name]Cora[/name], [name]Della[/name], [name]Delia[/name], [name]Cory[/name], [name]Lia[/name], [name]Rory[/name], [name]Corly[/name] on and on

[name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Ada[/name] or [name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]

suggestions:
[name]Moriah[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Esther[/name] ([name]Tess[/name])
[name]Olive[/name]

Combos:
[name]Vera[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Norah[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Calla[/name] [name]Elise[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name] [name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Kathryn[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Elise[/name]

All names are fine, except [name]Calla[/name] in my opinion.

“[name]Calla[/name]” is the second-person singular imperative form of “Callar”, a spanish verb meaning: to keep quiet.

¡[name]Calla[/name]! means shut up, in spanish.

[name]Felicity[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name] and [name]Meredith[/name] are my favorites…

[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Kathryn[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Elise[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name] [name]Elaine[/name]

Our styles are very similar! :slight_smile:

[name]Vera[/name] (Vair-uh…I really don’t like “[name]Veer[/name]-uh”) – I am in the same boat! I love [name]Vera[/name] pronounced Vair-uh, but really don’t like veer-uh. Like kala_way said, it probably isn’t a good idea to go with a name when one really can’t stand its common pronounciation. But I’ve still got it on my list anyway. :slight_smile:
[name]Eleanor[/name] (my partner loves this one) – Pretty and classic
[name]Norah[/name] (he loves this too) – I really like it!
[name]Felicity[/name] – Very pretty and the meaning is so nice!
[name]Calla[/name] – I love the sound of this one
[name]Meredith[/name] – Nms, I think I don’t like the ending.
[name]Lillian[/name] – This is pretty. I prefer [name]Vivienne[/name] though.
[name]Cordelia[/name] (4 syllables seem too long sometimes) – Sounds too old-fashioned to me. I like [name]Cora[/name] and [name]Delia[/name] though.

Middles (in order of preference):
[name]Elaine[/name] – I love the meaning!
[name]Ada[/name] or [name]Adelaide[/name] – [name]Adelaide[/name] is so pretty!
[name]Elise[/name] – Nice sound.

Alright, so some combo ideas:
[name]Vera[/name] [name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Vera[/name] [name]Cosette[/name] (I don’t know what your criteria are for a meaningful middle name, but this combo means “victorious life” which I think is cool!)
[name]Norah[/name] [name]Elaine[/name]
It’s hard making [name]Adelaide[/name] fit with any of your first name options. : / Would you consider using it as a first? [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Kathryn[/name] sounds nice!

Other names you might like:
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Eliora[/name]
[name]Fern[/name]
Cleome (prn. Clee-OH-me or Clee-OH-may)
[name]Althea[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
Lennae

From your list, I’d probably go with [name]Norah[/name] [name]Elise[/name] or [name]Norah[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]. I also like [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Elaine[/name].

Thank-you all so much for your thoughtful suggestions and combinations. You all gave me some really winning ideas, many of which I’ve added to my list.

@iris - I’ve never heard that about [name]Calla[/name] before! I usually get mixed reviews on that one, but I’ve never really reconsidered it as a choice until your imput. I’ll definitely keep it’s Spanish meaning in mind. There are not a lot of Spanish speakers where I currently live, but I wouldn’t want to curse my daughter if she ever went to a Spanish speaking country, or learned the language! I really do love the name, the [name]Lily[/name]-connection is very special to me, and I think it has a beautiful sound. Hmmm

@sunshine.10 - I love finding another [name]Berry[/name] who has a similar style to my own. Your suggestions were fantastic. [name]Cosette[/name] is a name I really like, but I plan on reserving the middle spot for a family name. And I totally agree with what you said about [name]Vera[/name]…I guess it’s another that will have to remain a guilty pleasure.

@violetgray - thanks for your list of fresh ideas! [name]Juliet[/name] and [name]Cecelia[/name] are actually on my long list, [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name] are names I love but can’t use, [name]Clara[/name] would be my #1 choice if my name weren’t [name]Claire[/name], and [name]Eloise[/name] goes on and off my list as a middle. [name]Callista[/name] and [name]Lilia[/name] are really pretty.

Thanks again all of you, and keep those comments coming Berries!

Also, I wanted to add, I think I’m most partial to [name]Catherine[/name] or [name]Kathryn[/name] as a mn at the moment, and am loving the combinations that you ladies came up with for that (especially [name]Norah[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Kathryn[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] - is Cece a cute nn? - and [name]Lillian[/name] [name]Kathryn[/name].) I also loved [name]Norah[/name] [name]Elaine[/name] and [name]Meredith[/name] [name]Elaine[/name].

And, if it helps, the last name would start with a P, and is one syllable.

[name]Just[/name] giving this a bump!

My favorites:

[name]Eleanor Catherine[/name]
[name]Norah Catherine[/name]
[name]Felicity Elise[/name]
[name]Meredith Elaine[/name]
[name]Lillian Adelaide[/name]
[name]Cordelia Elaine[/name]

Thank-you kyemsma…I love all of those combinations. I just seem to be unable to [name]EVER[/name] pick a favourite! I have so much less trouble with boys’ names…

I hear you, claireelise! You have wonderful names on both of your lists. I did notice your boys’ names tend to be Irish or classic names. So in following that theme with the girls, I see [name]Norah[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Meredith[/name], [name]Nola[/name] and [name]Catherine[/name] as wonderful matches!

@ kyemsma - you pin-pointed my style and my favourites exactly. I love classic names, or names that honour my heritage. And, if I were ever able to be decisive enough to make a top 5 girls’ list, [name]Norah[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] would probably all be on it!

Also, I have to say, I love your combinations, especially [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Claire[/name], [name]Maeve[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Elliot[/name] (especially [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Elliot[/name]!).

Berries: I’d be super curious to hear your top 3 AND your bottom 3 from my signature (boys too, of you like).

][name]Vera[/name] I love it, but I say [name]Veer[/name]-uh. Vair-uh is not how it’s pronounced in this area (nyc)
[name]Eleanor[/name] cute. I picture a mousey/cute/bookish type
[name]Norah[/name] same image I like this as a nn for [name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Felicity- nms feels very puritan/uptight to me
[name]Calla[/name]- I love this. Soft & earthy & simple
[name]Meredith[/name]- this is ok, but feels kinda stiff too
[name]Lillian[/name]- pretty
[name]Cordelia[/name] I really like this one too!

[name]Catherine[/name] or [name]Kathryn[/name]- I like it with the C only
[name]Elaine[/name]- pretty. [name]Love[/name] it as a fn too. Also [name]Elena[/name].
[name]Ada[/name] or [name]Adelaide[/name]- love [name]Ada[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name] is ok too
[name]Elise[/name]- gorgeous. Also love it as a fn

I am really into the whole list of mn
I love [name]Calla[/name] & [name]Cordelia[/name]. I don’t know about these middles with [name]Calla[/name] though! It’s either L heavy or alliteration (which I don’t mind but some do)
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Elise[/name] is my fave combo.

I like [name]Calla[/name] [name]Felicity[/name] though!
[name]Calla[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] is sweet.

[name]Calla[/name] [name]Ada[/name] [name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Calla[/name] [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Elaine[/name]

Thank you, @claireelise! I love Irish names for boys and classic names as well.
(I wish I had thought of [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Elliot[/name] 14 years ago!)

My top 4 boys’ names for you: Callum, Declan, James, Frederick
Top 4 girls’ names: Norah, Catherine, Lillian, Cordelia

Your children’s names are beautiful kyemsma! I especially love their middle names.

[name]Callum[/name] and [name]Declan[/name] are my top 2 boys names right now, actually. My partner loves them too (though he’s more partial to [name]Declan[/name], and me to [name]Callum[/name]). Girls are always harder for me to settle on, but [name]Norah[/name] is always in my top 5.

It’s been great chatting with you about names, and really helpful too.

@ watermellie - I have never heard of Spetimus Heap, so that association doesn’t bother me. The only [name]Meredith[/name] connection I have is [name]Grey[/name]'s Anatomy! I also cannot get the “shut up” [name]Calla[/name] reference out of my head…this makes my “[name]Calla[/name] for a girl or [name]Callum[/name] for a boy” debate easier (obviously I can’t have both!). I agree that [name]Norah[/name]/[name]Nora[/name] is getting popular, though I’ve never met one. And I definitely like [name]Eleanor[/name] more than [name]Elinor[/name] as well. Thank-you for your input.

@ taz - thanks for your comments, I love when people critique each name. I cannot in a million years see [name]Felicity[/name] as an uptight name…which is why I love when people give me their honest opinions -it’s great to know what people might be thinking if I introduced a daughter named [name]Felicity[/name] or something. Still, I love the name.

Thanks again to everyone who has responded! This is really helpful.

And, I’d still love to know some Berries’ top and least favourite choices from my signature!

@ sugarfoot - thanks! I love those.
I’m not ready to let go of [name]Vera[/name], despite the pronunciation issues it would have. I love it so much.