WDYT Calliope

Does anyone like [name]Calliope[/name]? Are there other ways to spell it? I secretly like this name and we find out this Thursday if we are having a boy or girl so I’d like to have my names figured out. This one has been lurking in my mind, but I’ve feared the reaction it might get.

I do like it!!! :slight_smile: Greek [name]Muse[/name] of Heroic [name]Poetry[/name]

I like it! it’s unique but recognizable.

A legitimate way is [name]Kalliope[/name], but I wouldn’t spell it that way since it’s so tryndee to spell names with a K a la [name]Khloe[/name], [name]Kourtney[/name], etc…

I like the name a lot, but fear that people will read it as “kal-ee-ohp”, which stinks since no one thinks [name]Penelope[/name] is “pen-eh-lowp”!!

I might run it by some friends, I’m not consulting family because I hated the names my sister picked (but didn’t say so because I’m nice!) And she stressed so much over the family’s opinions.

Not sure what specifically you like about the name - if it’s the sound or the rich history.

If it’s the history, there are tons of other names that might be a better option for you if you are worried about people mispronouncing it.

I’m an [name]Eliza[/name] and as easy as it is, you’d be surprised at how often I have to correct people. Everyone assumes I’m really an [name]Elizabeth[/name] too. A bit annoying, but I think it happens to most people at some point in their lives. You could always view it as a conversation starter too!!! :slight_smile:

[name]Love[/name] it! also Xanthippe! Girl off Greys is [name]Callie[/name]- [name]Calliope[/name] Euphegenia.

I really love [name]Calliope[/name], and it’s a shame that it encounters pronunciation issues. Another beautiful name is [name]Persephone[/name] but that has the same problems [name]Calliope[/name] does. There are other greek names that do not have the same problem and if you like that the name is from mythology there are a ton of great names. That being said, if you really love the name then use it. I love the nicknames [name]Calla[/name] or [name]Callie[/name] and the name is quite long so there’s a good chance your daughter would want a shorter nickname anyway. Some other great names from mythology with less pronunciation problems are [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Ariadne[/name], [name]Athena[/name], [name]Artemis[/name], [name]Helen[/name], [name]Iris[/name], [name]Cassandra[/name], and [name]Pandora[/name].

I love the sound, and the meaning and background just enhance how much I like the name :slight_smile:

I do like [name]Daphne[/name] but growing up we had a family pet named Daphine (no idea how she got the name!). I also like [name]Cassandra[/name], and [name]Ariadne[/name] looks so pretty but is a mouthful for me.

Nicknames are inevitable, but I don’t like them. I introduce myself, [name]Jacquelyn[/name], and the very next time I’m addressed the person calls me [name]Jackie[/name], then feels the need to apologize because I sometimes correct them if we really aren’t on any familiar terms. I’d dislike my child being nicknamed by others who are simply uncomfortable with her name, its a shame because it happens all the time with perfectly good names! However, I prefer your suggested nn [name]Calla[/name] much better than [name]Calli[/name] :slight_smile: I can keep nn’s at bay for awhile, but in school its pretty inevitable!

[name]Ah[/name], Euphegenia, now that is hard to pronounce! [name]Love[/name] that character too.

Other possible options with rich history -

[name]Clio[/name] (A personal favorite! Greek [name]Muse[/name])
[name]Thalia[/name] (Greek [name]Muse[/name])
[name]Elaina[/name] (variation of [name]Helen[/name])
[name]Zelina[/name] (Greek background)
Aglaia (Greek [name]Muse[/name])
[name]Isis[/name] (Supreme Egyptian [name]Goddess[/name], altho Greek origin)
[name]Athena[/name] (Greek [name]Goddess[/name])

[name]Just[/name] a few other possibilities :slight_smile:

i like it but would be worried it would be shortened to [name]Calli[/name].

I like it a lot.

Ecxited about tomorrow’s ultrasoud! [name]Calliope[/name] “sweet pea” is on the short list. Its a great name, but it does make my list quite eclectic! However, I’m sure I will like different names when the next baby comes along so I’m not worried about sibset flow yet.

I love the name [name]Calliope[/name] too. I have greek relatives called [name]Calliope[/name] who use the the nick-name [name]Poppy[/name] which I also like.

[name]LOVE[/name] nn [name]Poppy[/name]!
[name]How[/name] about middle names??? I like [name]Jane[/name], but have hit a wall on ideas for middle name!

[name]Calliope[/name] [name]JANE[/name]??? [name]Way[/name] to close to CALAMITY, which is probably why you like the ring to it. But [name]Poppy[/name] is a cool nn, prefer it over [name]Calli[/name]

Calamity [name]Jane[/name] was, among other things, a prostitute… sigh…

I like this name and I like the the nn [name]Calli[/name].

I love [name]Calliope[/name] and avoiding nicknames isn’t that difficult. You simply correct people when they try to shorten it. No biggie.

Besides, when your child goes to school, she will decide what her name is!