WDYT of Abigail?

I’m torn. I’ve liked it since I was a child, except for about a year when I absolutely despised it. Now I’m starting to like it again, but I fear it’s popularity. Is it so over-used that it’s destined to be the next [name]Madison[/name]? Opinions please!

[name]Hi[/name]! I think that [name]Abigail[/name] is such a pretty name, and I, too, loved it as a child. Despite it being a Biblical classic, it sadly feels on the trendy side to me, only because it shot to popularity seemingly out of nowhere (I never heard the name growing up in the 80s, and now it’s everywhere), and because I’ve seen so many yooneek spellings ([name]Abbigayle[/name], [name]Abigale[/name], [name]Abbigail[/name], [name]Abi[/name]/[name]Abbee[/name], etc.).

Off the top of my head, I can think of about 14 young Abigails/Abbys (I think I came up with 12 or 13 when I thought about it on another post, but I’ve since remembered more…).

I do think that loving a name is more important than its popularity, but it sounds like popularity is an issue for you.

So, while [name]Abigail[/name] will always be a Biblical classic and completely different from Madsion, I have to admit that its massive popularity (that seems to have appeared out of nowhere) and yooneek spellings make it feel a bit trendy to me.

If you’re concerned about using it up front, what about as a middle?

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Well I’m biased because this is the name we have chosen for our baby girl when she arrives. Its probably not something I would have chosen usually, however it just feels right for this child.

We will spell it the traditional way, [name]Abigail[/name], and her nn will be [name]Abby[/name]. [name]Violet[/name] is the middle name we have chosen.

Where I live, you will see far more Lilys and Ellas about the place than Abigails.

I think the nickname [name]Abby[/name] is very nice. I don’t know about [name]Abigail[/name]. It is nice enough, but I guess not my taste. I think in the scheme of things, despite how popular it is, it doesn’t have a lot of names that sound like it (compared to say, [name]Emily[/name] in boys and girls names alike - [name]Emma[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Emerson[/name], [name]Emmett[/name], so on, or anything ending with a -lee sound or a -la sound or a -belle/a or -elle/a sound, not to mention popular -ana and -ine endings).

I think it is nice enough, a nice old name, just happens to be trendy, but it’s also solid and serious. It doesn’t have a very flighty sound, I mean, but it’s not dead solid serious, like [name]Joan[/name] or something, but it is grounded in a more classic and timeless sense - I think this name sounds typical early American (colonial to revolutionary period), maybe more than most old or classic names, that’s what I think of when I hear this name. It doesn’t sound temporary like a [name]Kaylee[/name] or really branded to a decade in particular to me. I really like the nickname [name]Abby[/name], and I think this name sounds right for a person of any age. [name]Even[/name] though it’s been revived some-odd years already, it seems very distinguished.

[name]Abigail[/name] [name]Violet[/name] is stunning!

I love the name [name]Abigail[/name], despite its popularity. I think the nn [name]Abby[/name], rather than the full name, is what might come to feel trendy or dated (or be overused by other kids you know). By always using the full name, or by using the short form [name]Gail[/name], you could avoid running into this problem.

I know SOOOOO many Abigails. About 3 years ago I had five people in my life (unknown to each other) name their new baby girls [name]Abigail[/name]. By the time I heard the 5th announcement, from the baby’s aunt, the conversation went something like this:

[name]Friend[/name]: “My sister in law had her baby last week, it was a girl.”

Me: “Oh fantastic! What did she name her?”

[name]Friend[/name]: “[name]Abigail[/name]”

Me: “Of course.”

…then of course I feel like a big loser! It just came out. I explained that she was the 5th [name]Abigail[/name] that’d I’d heard of in as many months. [name]Friend[/name] is surprised, says she doesn’t know of any other Abigails.

Be warned, this was in the UK and our trends seem to come and go a few years out of sync with N.[name]America[/name] so if [name]Abigail[/name] hasn’t been in over there yet it would be a safe bet that it’s coming!

…lovely name though!