WDYT of Arwen?

Hey, Berries! [name]How[/name] do you feel about the name [name]Arwen[/name] (nn possibly [name]Winnie[/name])? [name]Do[/name] you think the association with [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings is too prominent? Let me know!

[name]Arwen[/name] is lovely! I don’t think the [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings connection is overwhelming at all–it’s one of those connections that someone might recognize, definitely, but I think that realization adds literary charm and sophistication rather than sounding like an obvious rip-off (a rip-off example being [name]Atticus[/name], IMHO).

A young girl/woman named [name]Arwen[/name], to me, is one who is soft-spoken, compassionate, yet also energetic and strong-willed.

I say, go for it!

Since [name]Arwen[/name] is such a softly pronounced name, it might fit nicely with a sharper sounding middle name, such as:

[name]Arwen[/name] [name]Avis[/name]
[name]Arwen[/name] [name]Bellamy[/name]
[name]Arwen[/name] [name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Arwen[/name] [name]December[/name] (pretty dreamy sounding, but glorious [name]IMO[/name]!)
[name]Arwen[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] or [name]Geneva[/name]
[name]Arwen[/name] [name]Isolde[/name]
[name]Arwen[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Arwen[/name] [name]Odette[/name] (she sounds like a princess!)
[name]Arwen[/name] [name]Valentine[/name] or [name]Valentina[/name] (very romantic)

I don’t think [name]Lord[/name] of the rings, but I am not sure that it is my style. It sounds a little masculine to me; maybe a little too much of a stretch for [name]Winnie[/name]. Sorry.

I may be in the minority, but the [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings is the only thing I can think about when I hear [name]Arwen[/name], and even [name]Arden[/name]. I was under the impression that it was a purely literary name and behindthename lists its origin as Sindarin, so it seems a bit of an odd choice to me for a real child. I’ve never seen the appeal, personally- it’s very awkward and sort of masculine sounding to me, and nothing about it is graceful or attractive to my ears. It does, however, work as a way to [name]Winnie[/name]. I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch.

Thank you for your lovely reply!