WDYT of Baby Naming Themes?

[name_f]My[/name_f] friend’s family… (in age order)

[name_u]Angel[/name_u]!na “Ang3l” M@rie
Brand0n J0hn
First-name-that-starts-with-C-that-I’m-not-going-to-list-because-it’s-super-unique Pip3r
D3ryk Chanl3r
Eth@n [name_m]Luc[/name_m]@s
F/ynn [name_m]Ad[/name_m]@m
And the mom is orefnant with what will befhe final child, Gr@cebelle/Grac3 Bell3/Gr@ce-[name_f]B3lle[/name_f] (I’m unsure) for a girl & Gabri3l for a boy. :slight_smile:

So, WDYT of parents who do this sort of thing?

Thats dedication to the ABCs!

1 Like

It’s not my personal taste, but hey, more power to ‘em if that’s what they want to do!

2 Likes

I respect it but personally I’d feel too restricted! I want to use my favorite names, not ones that must fit a pattern

7 Likes

Yeah, I’m not one for naming themes. I try to think of them together so I don’t stumble over their names while we’re together, but I don’t try to worry too much as I’m raising my children to be independent adults. They don’t need to be defined by their siblings.

The ABC names remind me of the musical 7 brides for seven brothers though. All boys. Biblical ABC names :rofl:

3 Likes

I think it is super cute. It looks like they have put a lot of thought in to the names.

1 Like

Not something I’d do, but kind of cute

1 Like

Totally agree with @futuremama!

2 Likes

I think the alphabet theme is cool! I wouldn’t do it, personally, because I care more about using my favorite names than keeping a pattern, and my names don’t go in alphabetical order.

I prefer this theme to alliterative sibling names, which I think are sweet but only if you have 2-4 kids, after that I feel like it’s too matchy. So for a big sibling group I think alphabetical initials are fun!

1 Like

I think it’s fun to see other families do themes like this, but it’s not my style.

I know multiple families who unconsciously started an alphabetic pattern then decided to continue it on purpose with later children. For example, a K dad and an M mom named their first baby a J name and second an L name so then they decided the last baby would have to be an I or N name. In another family I know, the kids are completely coincidentally J, L, M. They just noticed the patter and are pregnant with their 4th so they’re considering K names.

I do have a theme going with my kids (Hebrew origin first name and honor MN). If I have more kids I would look into keeping the pattern but wouldn’t force myself to stick to it.

@Lauralee835 [name_u]Seven[/name_u] Brides for [name_u]Seven[/name_u] Brothers is my first thought with alphabetic sibsets! I love the conversation between [name_f]Milly[/name_f] and [name_m]Adam[/name_m] about their options: [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Hagar[/name_f] or [name_f]Hephzibah[/name_f].

2 Likes

My favorite part was [name_m]Frank[/name_m] :rofl: “I don’t remember there being a [name_m]Frank[/name_m] in the bible?” :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Replying to the wrong post? :confused:

No, sorry. Replying to @jk_garrison about the ABC themed biblical names in 7 brides for 7 brothers. There was [name_m]Adam[/name_m], [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], [name_m]Caleb[/name_m], [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], [name_m]Ephraim[/name_m], [name_m]Frank[/name_m] and [name_m]Gideon[/name_m]. So the girl asks where there was a [name_m]Frank[/name_m] in the bible and they have to explain it’s a nickname for frankincense :rofl:

4 Likes

Don’t get it (haven’t picked up a bible since I was ~8) but thanks for trying to explain. :slight_smile:

It’s just a joke since they put themselves in a corner having to follow a theme. There were no F names so they just had to use “something” in the bible so he was named after incense.

I haven’t been out a lot lately. [name_f]My[/name_f] brain finds everything funny :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Seven Brides for [name_u]Seven[/name_u] Brothers is an old musical :wink: it has a lot of fun names in it, like Dorcus!

2 Likes

Oh haha. :joy:

1 Like

My brain always works in themes ! So I would absolutely do the ABCD theme.

My sons name has an EA in the middle and coincidentally 2 of my favourite girls names are [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]

1 Like

I think if you knew you were having a big family it would be cool to do.

1 Like

I never try to follow themes, but I often find subtle ones appear in the names I like or how I combine them. For example, whenever I make lists of potential sibets to go with my daughter’s name, each first name usually happens to start with the same first letter of the previous child’s mn in the lineup. Without me ever trying to! :woman_shrugging:

@Ehrob1 Sounds like our minds work the same way. :joy:

3 Likes