WDYT of Desi? Desi and Riley

I just thought of this. It was the nn I planned on using for my daughter [name]Destiny[/name] who we lost when she was born prematurely. I know my son and d-i-l want to honor her memory with one of the twin’s names. Would [name]Desi[/name] work with [name]Riley[/name]? It is a male name but sounds girly to me. It is a diminutive of a longer Spanish male name which comes from the Latin male name [name]Desiderius[/name] which means “longed for”. Sorry, I am having to wipe away a few tears here after reading that meaning (I miss my baby girl so, so much). [name]Do[/name] you think the name is too associated with [name]Desi[/name] Arnaz and [name]Desi[/name] Arnaz, [name]Jr[/name].? I am starting to feel a little hopeless right now about this naming process for the twins and ready to just let them name them whatever they can come up with. After all, I am going to love my grandaughters no matter what their names are (sigh). On another note, I can’t imagine anyone being so controlling of their adult children as to purchase a dog and give it the name their daughter is seriously considering for her son because they hate the name. This story was posted by another nameberry-ite on another message board and I was appalled at the gall of those people. I can live with [name]Riley[/name] and [name]Kailey[/name] if that is what they really, really want.

I’m so sorry about your daughter. I think [name]Desi[/name] is a very cute girl’s name. I’ve seen a few websites list it as being unisex. If they don’t want [name]Desi[/name] as her full name maybe [name]Desiree[/name] with [name]Desi[/name] as a nickname would work. I hope they find something that they (and you) love.

Unicorngal,

I’m sorry for your loss of sweet baby [name]Destiny[/name], and I know you miss her dearly. [name]Do[/name] you think it might be tough to have a granddaughter named [name]Desi[/name], though, considering all the pain and sadness you have wrapped up in [name]Destiny[/name]'s name? I don’t want you to put yourself in a situation that will make you feel sad…

I think [name]Desi[/name] can be cute as a nickname for something like [name]Odessa[/name], but I don’t care for that with [name]Riley[/name], per se. Far too feminine with [name]Riley[/name].

I applaud your efforts to help your son and daughter-in-law find the perfect names for your grandchildren. I know names mean the world to you, and you are trying the help them pick the very best for their twins - and, I’d probably do the same - but sometimes you might have to step back. [name]Trust[/name] me, I don’t want you to - I don’t think [name]Kailey[/name] and [name]Riley[/name] are good names for these baby girls. I guess I’m just asking if this is your creative spirit come out to play, or are your son and daughter-in-law asking to use [name]Desi[/name], and [name]Marnie[/name], and [name]Mattea[/name], and these other names you’ve polled? I think, just so you don’t get too caught up in this, maybe you should just pass on the suggestions and let them make the decision - unless they pointedly ask for assistance or clarification. If they have, then what you are doing is great! I just don’t want you to get too emotionally caught up in this whole thing now.

I apologize if this is rude - as I certainly didn’t intend to hurt your feelings, Unie! Hang in there, and prepare to welcome your lovely twin granddaughters!

(On a side note, [name]Destiny[/name] means “fate,” as does [name]Karma[/name], and [name]Indian[/name] (Sanskrit) name. Perhaps they could use this as a middle name?)

(Another thing, I just noticed that your name is [name]Sandra[/name] - how sweet! [name]Sandra[/name] is a variant of [name]Alexandra[/name], and there are many that could be used as potential middle names for the baby, should their parents want that. 85 Best International Variations of Alexandra | Nameberry. That’s the list if you want to browse and pick suitable ones to send on…)

Best wishes,

[name]Lemon[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name],
They did ask for my help, but I think I am getting too emotionally involved. These children aren’t mine to name even if they did want help and advice. I have decided to just step back from the whole situation…like I said before I can live with [name]Riley[/name] and [name]Kailey[/name] if that is what they decide on :slight_smile: I will still hang around nameberry but just because I love names and I think that I would like to see what others name their babies. If they ask for any more specific advice, then maybe you will hear from me again. When they told me they wanted to honor [name]Destiny[/name]'s memory, I went to bed wondering if they chose to name one of the twins after her would I be able to handle it? I came to the conclusion that I would. Thanks for your concern. I get the feeling they are not totally satisfied with [name]Kailey[/name] either or maybe they just picked up on my concerns. I was just trying to find replacements for [name]Kailey[/name] (since they seem stuck on [name]Riley[/name]) that they might be interested in but wanted to see what the rest of you thought about them before suggesting the names to them. I hope I haven’t come across as pushy or something. I forget sometimes that I am posting on a site where there are lots of pregnant women. I am sorry if reading this made anyone uncomfortable here.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Desi[/name]!!

Unicorngal,

I’m glad to hear that you won’t be gone for good! Your dedication to this name search shows how much you love those baby girls already, and I think that is wonderful. I guess I was just worried about the emotional toll of yet another name decision for you, especially when it is bound to bring up - and has - memories of your [name]Destiny[/name].

You have wonderful naming advice and compassion to match, so you will be a valued resource for others on Nameberry, even if your own children aren’t necessarily ready to face the music with their names. Whatever their names are, it looks like those twin girls will be loved by everyone!

If you’re happy stepping back, then I’m happy, too! And, if you’ve sent on all of the suggestions and feedback from your several polls, then your son and daughter-in-law have a great supply to work with!

Let us know what happens, and we’ll be looking forward to - still - seeing you around the '[name]Berry[/name]…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Sorry for your loss.

[name]Riley[/name] and [name]Desi[/name] are adorable together though! [name]Both[/name] names are unisex, so I don’t think you’ll have more problems with [name]Desi[/name] than you will with [name]Riley[/name]. I consider [name]Desi[/name] a girl’s name anyway because I associate it with [name]Destiny[/name] and [name]Desiree[/name].

It’s a sweet and meaningful name, and will work wonderfully with her sister’s name as well. Good luck!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Desi[/name] so much.
I am sorry for your loss, Unicorn.