WDYT of Eily???

I saw it on a locker @ my son’s school tonight - they put their names on the lockers their.
I don’t know if I’d actually use it - or if hubby would even like it, but I thought it was cute.

Has anyone heard of it before?
[name]How[/name] would you pronounce it? I’m thinking eye-lee
What about the spelling? Would you spell it that way or something different? Eily, Eilee, Eileigh, Eilie, Eiley - any other way?

I think it’s pretty - but you’re right, the spelling would need to make it a bit easier to pronouced like “Eye-lee.” I like the spelling you had “Eileigh”

it is kind of a pretty name, assuming it’s pronounced eye-lee. The only other spelling possibility I could potentially see is Isly (as in [name]Isla[/name], but with a y instead). I just don’t pronounce Eily as eye-lee, the spelling with the double vowel in the beginning confuses me.

Maybe her name is [name]Eileen[/name], or her parents were thinking of [name]Eileen[/name] when they made up her name. I probably would tread carefully taking names from someone’s school locker - a lot of kids have made-up names or screwed up spellings. Then again, I was the only one (I think) who preferred the name Aila pronounced exactly like [name]Isla[/name], and a legitimate spelling, related to the name [name]Aileen[/name]. I still think [name]Isla[/name] is like La [name]Isla[/name] (Iss-la or Iz-la) [name]Bonita[/name] when I see it. [name]Eileen[/name] is kind of dated, but not terrible. Eily seems pretty obviously related to it (like as a nickname or just copied the spelling they thought made the name “interesting”) and not [name]Isla[/name].

I found two different sites that say it is a form of, or “pet” name of, [name]Eileen[/name].

There was an young actress in the 30’s and 40’s that had the name Eily. Eily Malyon

My cousin is called [name]Aili[/name] - said EYE-lee. She always has to spell it for people.

Another similar sounding (legit) name is [name]Islay[/name], for the small island off the west coast of [name]Scotland[/name] - although I believe the locals pronounce it more like ‘eye-la’, the rest of [name]Scotland[/name] says ‘eye-lay’.

It looks like a respelling of [name]Eilidh[/name], which is pronounced EYE-lee. I do like the sound, but I’m not a fan of the spelling ‘Eily’–it looks made up in my opinion.

Agree with rhiannon that it seems like a respelling of [name]Eilidh[/name], which is pronounced ay-lee. I love the name [name]Eilidh[/name].

Yes, ‘[name]Eilidh[/name]’ should be pronounced AY-lee, not EYE-lee.

Sorry, but quite honestly, I’m not crazy about Eily, which seems like a short form of [name]Eileen[/name], which is deeply unfashionable. I think it’s just too slight a name for a modern girl.

I’d pronounce it eye-lee too… I’d write [name]Eileen[/name] nn Eily… I wouldn’t like Eily as first name but I think that it’s a cute nickname for [name]Eileen[/name]

I decided not even to put this name on the list, even though I think it’s cute. What I do is write the name down and say it outloud for a few days before I put it on the list. I’ve made the mistake before of really liking a name, but then a week later realizing - 'what on [name]Earth[/name] was I thinking!?". This name just doesn’t suit what I’m looking for. As I said in the beginning, I might not even use it - I was right. :smiley: