WDYT of Georgina?

Is [name]Georgina[/name] a bit harsh sounding for a little girl?

I like this name, but not love it…yet.

[name]Will[/name] she always be taken down to [name]George[/name]? Or what other NN is she likely to have?

I like that it is a strong name, it’s not too popular yet it isn’t unheard of. Would it be taking too much away to take it down to [name]Georgia[/name]? This sounds more feminine to me and not quite as harsh, but again the NN [name]George[/name] bothers me.

What does everyone else think?

I personally don’t really like the name but the two girls I know called [name]Georgina[/name] are called [name]Georgie[/name] and [name]Gina[/name] as nicknames.

I really like it, but it’s one of those names that takes a certain personality to carry off. It’s a lot of name that I think needs a really outgoing, spunky personality to match it.

I love [name]Georgina[/name] and have wished for a long time that it would come back into fashion. The cutest nn is [name]Georgie[/name] which I love on a girl. I think [name]Georgina[/name] is so much nicer than [name]Georgia[/name] which I think is a little clunky.

I don’t think [name]Georgina[/name] is too harsh sounding at all! I actually prefer it over [name]Georgia[/name]. [name]Georgie[/name] would be a cute nn.

I agree. I think [name]Georgia[/name] is definitley more mainstream and easier to pull off, though still spunky and cute. I know 2 little Georgias, and neither of them really gets called anything other than [name]Georgia[/name]. I think [name]Georgina[/name] would probably get shortened to [name]Georgie[/name] more often than [name]George[/name].
Personally, I prefer [name]Georgiana[/name] with the Jor-jay-na pronunciation to [name]Georgina[/name]. A bit more elegant, less fusty.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Georgina[/name]. Very regal. It of course reminds me of Mr. [name]Darcy[/name]'s little sister in ‘Pride and Prejudice’, she was a sweet girl. I don’t think it’s harsh at all, I think it’s quite strong but no where near harsh.

You know, I actually really like [name]Georgina[/name]. It feels classic to me, but at the same time its got this perky, hipster flair to it. It isn’t too, too feminine - frilly - but it is definitely elegant and distinctly female. I think you almost need to compare it to other feminine [name]George[/name] forms, notably [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]Georgiana[/name], to get a good feel for it. [name]Georgia[/name] feels a bit more casual to me, I think, a bit less feminine, and a bit more old-school. I’d classify [name]Georgia[/name] as hipster, too, though [name]Georgina[/name] feels New [name]York[/name] whereas [name]Georgia[/name] feels Southern - not just because of the [name]Georgia[/name] (state) association. If I had to pick one, I’d go with [name]Georgina[/name], simply because it feels that much more sassy and glamorous to me, though [name]Georgia[/name]'s a fun name, too. Then we’ve got the most frilly, the most sophisticated, and the most elegant - [name]Georgiana[/name]. Now, you can go with the American pronunciation of [jor-jee-ahn-uh] or the British pronunciation of [jor-jay-nuh] with this name. [name]Both[/name] are perfectly acceptable, and [name]Georgiana[/name] [name]Darcy[/name]'s name was even pronounced using the “American” pronunciation in the 2005 [name]Joe[/name] [name]Wright[/name] version of Pride and Prejudice. Honestly, I think you either have a gut feeling about the pronunciation of the name or it fits better in a combination with a certain other name. [name]Georgiana[/name], to me, is decidedly vintage, slightly upper-crust, and oh-so-glitzy. It’s probably my favorite female [name]George[/name] name, followed by [name]Georgina[/name], which I think is slightly easier to pull off in the US (especially with the TV character, [name]Georgina[/name] Sparks, on Gossip Girl), and my least favorite is [name]Georgia[/name]. All of them are unique and cool names for a girl, though!

As for nicknames, I don’t think [name]George[/name] would be the natural choice. I can see [name]Georgie[/name] being used, yes, but I’d use [name]Gigi[/name] for [name]Georgina[/name] and [name]Georgiana[/name], of course! [name]Gigi[/name] is spunky and fun, just like [name]Georgina[/name] and [name]Georgiana[/name], so it is MY natural choice for a nickname.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

We are naming our daughter [name]Georgia[/name] (due any day now), and for the past few months we have been calling her [name]GiGi[/name] for a nickname. It just happened one day, and now it has stuck, but not sure if it will after she is born. So [name]GiGi[/name] could be an option for your daughter’s nickname…definitely cuter than [name]Georgie[/name] in my opinion. Good luck!

I like it, but prefer [name]Georgia[/name] with the nn [name]Gigi[/name]. I think its very cute!

I’m not having a daughter any time soon, I’m only 19 and need to finish university and get a good job before I consider children, but I love planning ahead and was just thinking of names I like, I just wasn’t sure on this one.

[name]Georgia[/name] seems far more elegant to me. It’s really cute.

[name]Lemon[/name] - I’m from the UK. Personally I have never met anyone called [name]Georgiana[/name] but it’s different so could be interesting to use, though I first read it off as Jor-ge-an-a? Is that the right prn?

nwhite - It’s nice that you already have a cute nn for your daughter :slight_smile: Good luck with her birth

I think it’s lovely and it sounds a little southern to me (not a derogatory comment). As someone else mentioned, it does seem spunky… kind of fiery and fun.

I agree. I think [name]Georgia[/name] is definitley more mainstream and easier to pull off, though still spunky and cute. I know 2 little Georgias, and neither of them really gets called anything other than [name]Georgia[/name]. I think [name]Georgina[/name] would probably get shortened to [name]Georgie[/name] more often than [name]George[/name].
Personally, I prefer [name]Georgiana[/name] with the Jor-jay-na pronunciation to [name]Georgina[/name]. A bit more elegant, less fusty.[/quote]

Is jor-jay-na a real pronunciation of [name]Georgiana[/name]? I’ve only ever heard of that in reference to the Duchess of Devonshire, and she had lots of little language affectations, ‘oo’ instead of “you,” for example. I readsomewhere a long time ago I read that she liked to imitate the local dialect and its idiosyncrasies. A friend who works in linguistics told me recently that she pronounced cucumber so that the first syllable sounded like “cow.” I thought it was a pronunication limited to her! I’ve only ever met one [name]Georgiana[/name], about 5 years ago in [name]England[/name], she pronounced it the Pride and Prejudice way “jaw-jay-ah-nah.” Jaw-jayna is quite pretty, though. Is it common?

Hey, we’re all about planning ahead here! Well, some of us are, I guess - the ones not having babies, like me and you. My favorites are [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Henry[/name], and either [name]Peter[/name] or [name]Russell[/name] today. [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Emmeline[/name] are always in the mix, too, and [name]Nathaniel[/name]…

You know, when I lived in the UK, I never met a [name]Georgiana[/name], either. I did live down the road from a [name]Georgina[/name], though! I don’t know why, but [name]Georgiana[/name] still feels very upper-crust British to me, perhaps because of the Duchess. But, [name]Georgina[/name] has that British-esque feel, too. It still reminds me of New [name]York[/name], though, especially when the mayor’s daughter is named [name]Georgina[/name].

But, yes, I forgot what I said before, but I think I like [name]Georgina[/name] most today, then [name]Georgiana[/name], then [name]Georgia[/name]. All are really cool, though! And, I think you have [name]Georgiana[/name]'s pronunciation correct - [jor-jee-ah-nuh], with the second syllable pronounced like the letter G.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Personally, I prefer [name]Georgiana[/name] with the Jor-jay-na pronunciation to [name]Georgina[/name]. A bit more elegant, less fusty.[/quote]

Is jor-jay-na a real pronunciation of [name]Georgiana[/name]? I’ve only ever heard of that in reference to the Duchess of Devonshire, and she had lots of little language affectations, ‘oo’ instead of “you,” for example. I readsomewhere a long time ago I read that she liked to imitate the local dialect and its idiosyncrasies. A friend who works in linguistics told me recently that she pronounced cucumber so that the first syllable sounded like “cow.” I thought it was a pronunication limited to her! I’ve only ever met one [name]Georgiana[/name], about 5 years ago in [name]England[/name], she pronounced it the Pride and Prejudice way “jaw-jay-ah-nah.” Jaw-jayna is quite pretty, though. Is it common?[/quote]

Nameberry says that [name]Georgiana[/name] is pronounced ‘Jor-jay-na’ in [name]England[/name]. I’m not from [name]England[/name], however, so I can’t vouch for that. I think it’s so lovely said that way, though, and easier than Jor-jee-ahn-a.

I like [name]Georgina[/name]. It’s very pretty.