WDYT of James?

What do you think of the name [name]James[/name]? My husband loves the name, but I’m less sure. He would join brothers [name]William[/name] and [name]Thomas[/name]. Also, would you use a nickname ([name]Jim[/name], [name]Jay[/name])? I know it doesn’t need a nickname, but both of our boys have nicknames, and we have a tendency to use them.

Thanks,
[name]Sarah[/name]

Of course I’m biased, but my 11 year-old son is [name]James[/name] [name]Henry[/name] (nn [name]Jay[/name]). His friends know him only as [name]Jay[/name], and most people are surprised to find his full name is [name]James[/name]. He has always been the only [name]James[/name] ([name]Jay[/name]) in all of his school classes. We’ve been very happy with our choice!

[name]Love[/name] [name]James[/name]. I’m sure I will name a son that one day! Definitely [name]Jay[/name] for a nickname…Although [name]Jimmy[/name]/[name]Jimi[/name] could be pretty cute

You couldn’t choose a better name!

Most people call their [name]James[/name]’ just [name]James[/name] but [name]Jem[/name] would be a cute nn.

rollo :slight_smile:

A nice solid name, and since you used [name]William[/name], I assume you’re not all that worried about popularity. In that case, it’s a great choice. I actually prefer [name]Jay[/name], even though I normally prefer retro nicknames, but [name]Jim[/name]/[name]Jimmy[/name] doesn’t do it for me.

Thank you all for the responses. I’m really intrigued by [name]Jem[/name] as a nickname for [name]James[/name]. I hadn’t thought of that before, and it’s making me like [name]James[/name] a lot more. [name]Jem[/name] is just adorable, and I love To Kill a Mockingbird. I’m worried that it sounds a lot like [name]Jim[/name] though. I can picture saying “Not [name]Jim[/name], [name]Jem[/name]” again and again and again. [name]Do[/name] you think it would get confused with [name]Jim[/name] a lot? I also like [name]Jay[/name], though it makes me think of [name]Jay[/name] [name]Gatsby[/name]. While I love the novel, I’m not sure I’d want to name my son after [name]Gatsby[/name]. Is The Great [name]Gatsby[/name] your first thought when you hear [name]Jay[/name]? Or am I just over thinking this? I did just reread it a year or two ago, so maybe it’s just fresh in my mind. [name]Jim[/name] and [name]Jimmy[/name] are also cute. But do they sound dated?
I’d love your feedback.
Thanks again,
[name]Sarah[/name]

[name]James[/name] is a strong classic and it certainly fits well with your sons [name]William[/name] and [name]Thomas[/name]. For nicknames I prefer [name]Jay[/name] and [name]Jem[/name], which is fun and unexpected. I’m sure people would get it once you explain to them, because I think almost every student in the U.S. has to read To Kill a Mockingbird during high school. Though I love The Great [name]Gatsby[/name], it’s definitely not what I think of when I hear [name]Jay[/name] so I wouldn’t worry about that. I think [name]Jay[/name] or [name]Jem[/name] are both nice changes for the tired [name]Jim[/name].

I love The Great [name]Gatsby[/name] too, but that’s not the first thing that I think of when I think of [name]Jay[/name]. Also, [name]Jimmy[/name] reminds me of two favourite musicians of mine - [name]Jimmy[/name] [name]Barnes[/name] and [name]Jimi[/name] [name]Hendrix[/name] so in my mind the name never dates :slight_smile:
I hadn’t thought of [name]Jem[/name] for [name]James[/name] though and I love it! In a book I read there was a kid called [name]Jemmy[/name] and his real name was [name]Jeremiah[/name]. Seems like a pretty versatile nickname. Definitely very cool

When we decided on [name]James[/name] ([name]Jay[/name]) for our son, [name]Gatsby[/name] definitely came to mind, but that wasn’t a negative for me. (I also liked [name]Nick[/name] for our son, another [name]Gatsby[/name] association). Nobody has ever mentioned [name]Gatsby[/name] upon learning his name…probably [name]Jay[/name] [name]Leno[/name] comes to mind first…

I definitely think you’ll be correcting “[name]Jim[/name]” to “[name]Jem[/name]” frequently. They sound very similar. If you don’t mind this slight complication, it’s a good nn option. I think “[name]Jem[/name]” is more widely used in [name]Britain[/name] as a nn for [name]Jeremy[/name] (although I could be wrong). :smiley:

[name]Just[/name] calling him [name]James[/name] is also a wonderful option (and looks very dignified as he ages). You can’t go wrong w/ [name]James[/name]!