WDYT of Langston?

We’re still all over the place in trying to choose a name for our second child, due early next year. My new favorite is [name_m]Langston[/name_m], but not sure about it. A few specific concerns:

• Is it too much of an African-American name for a white child? To be clear, I’m not concerned about people making assumptions about his race. I’m concerned about about whether the connection to [name_m]Langston[/name_m] [name_m]Hughes[/name_m] (which is a big reason I like the name) makes it too much like cultural appropriation, even if [name_m]Langston[/name_m] is originally an English name.

• Does it have any nicknames? My husband feels strongly about having a one-syllable nickname, and doesn’t really like the obvious option of Lang.

• Is it too much like [name_m]Landon[/name_m]? We have one in our extended family who we see regularly.

• Could it become too trendy? It wasn’t in the Top 1,000 names in the U.S. until 2014, and it moved up in 2015. Still not crazy popular by any means, but I’m always concerned about future trends since we have a very common last name.

I don’t even know how to respond to the first question. Yes, white children are allowed to share names with famous black people. The white Martins, Malcolms, Harriets, and [name_m]Tonis[/name_m] of the world would be in trouble otherwise.

One of the beauties of [name_m]Langston[/name_m] is that it doesn’t need a nickname. It’s only two syllables. Why not wait until you meet your son and let a nickname come about naturally?

Unless [name_m]Landon[/name_m] is your son I wouldn’t worry about it.

Maybe, maybe not. It has the makings of a trendy name, but I don’t think it will take off unless there’s a pop culture trigger.

It doesn’t strike me as belonging to any race. I’m not a fan. It feels trendy in the same vein as [name_u]Easton[/name_u] and [name_m]Maddox[/name_m]. However, it’s not bad and will fit in with other kids with modern names.