WDYT of Laurel

When discovering [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] I ran across [name_f]Laurel[/name_f]. I was a bit unsure as to what to think about it initially but it keeps popping up in my mind when I think of girls names.

What do you berries think of it? [name_f]Do[/name_f] any middle names stand out to you that might go well with it?

I personally get a beach vibe from it. Sand dunes, sea shells, a nice breeze and gentle waves.

I quite like [name_f]Laurel[/name_f], I always thought it had a very fresh sound.

[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] reminds me of the forest :slight_smile: Tall trees that let through very few sunbeams, reflecting of the mossy exterior of the same trees, giving off an almost magical green hue that pairs so well with the brown tree bark and the yellow sunbeams. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it.

I was afraid others might consider it an old lady name. I’ve never met anyone with the name one way or another so I have no real frame of reference.

I really love your description of the name as well. I think I imagine the beach due to coral and [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] sounding similar. Your imagery is gorgeous <3

I like [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] a lot. Very pretty sounding and not as used as [name_f]Lauren[/name_f]/[name_f]Laura[/name_f], etc.

[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Eileen[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Odette[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_u]Sage[/name_u]

I like [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] a lot, much better than [name_f]Lauren[/name_f]. It’s so delicate and fresh, yet familiar and it can be shortened to friendly [name_f]Laura[/name_f]/[name_u]Laurie[/name_u].

I feel like it might need to be corrected sometime as people will hear “[name_f]Lauren[/name_f]” but it’s familiar without being common. I really love [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Odette[/name_f]! I also like [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] [name_f]Juliette[/name_f].

I agree with you, it feels very delicate and fresh to me too :slight_smile: I was hoping it would be well received! I also love the nn [name_f]Lori[/name_f] :slight_smile:

I think that some people think it sounds old due to it’s similarity to Lauren, but it is definitely making a comeback. (especially since vintage-esque names are on the rise)

Laurel has (imo) the same feel as some names that are on the rise. And the fact that it’s used on tv (How to get away with murder {Laurel Castillo} , for instance) doesn’t hurt it either.

And thank you :wink:

I really love the name [name_f]Laurel[/name_f]! Sweet name.
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Amalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Adelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Aviva[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Angelica[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Cerelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Amara[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] Madelief
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Isabeau[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] Vesperine
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_m]Augustine[/name_m]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Rhianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Jillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Xaviera[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Zephyrine[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Christienne[/name_f]

Yeah to me it’s a name that could be “old” but doesn’t directly take me to grandma. It’s like a vintage name with a twist.

Oh I’ve never seen [name_m]How[/name_m] to Get Away With Murder, although I want to. I actually was first introduced to the name by another show, The Lying Game. The girls younger sister is named [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] and I thought it was so pretty!

I really love [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f]! So beautiful <3

I like [name_f]Laurel[/name_f]. It feels very calm and serene, if a little bland. It’s definitely right in the sweet spot in terms of popularity/familiarity, which is a plus. I’m also fond of the similar [name_u]Sorrel[/name_u].

[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] is very pretty. As for imagery, I feel like it is more of a forest name than a beach name.
It reminds me of a sunny, [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] day and a walk in the woods.
The name doesn’t feel old lady to me. It feels fresh. I did grow up with a [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] character on a soap opera, and the name is currently being used on a tv show [name_m]Arrow[/name_m]. The show is based on a comic, and in the comic the character’s name is actually [name_f]Dinah[/name_f]. [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] is her middle name. It probably felt more usable than [name_f]Dinah[/name_f]. [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] feels retro and cool. [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] or [name_f]Lori[/name_f] feels dated. I wouldn’t use that nickname. [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] stands on it’s own. The only probably is that it may be confused with [name_f]Laura[/name_f]. Especially spoken by someone with an accent.

I think [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] is lovely. I often recommend it to people who are trying to honour someone with a “Laur” name ([name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Lauren[/name_f], [name_f]Laureen[/name_f]) - it’s quiet but strong, and a subtler floral/nature name, and I think it’s been seriously underused.

Oh wow, on [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] too? That’s another I’ve been meaning to watch and haven’t. I’m not a huge nickname person (unless it’s a strange nn not related at all to the real name). I might occasionally use [name_f]Lori[/name_f] but I’d never use it to replace [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] since that just isn’t my thing. I call everyone by their full name with the exception of my cousin [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] since she has always gone by [name_f]Ginnie[/name_f].

I agree with the under used part! Although I hope it stays that way :smiley: It does have a floral feel, very naturesque without being in your face (I adore nature names so this is a plus for me!)

It’s certainly a more calm choice compared to what I normally pick. This is one instance where I don’t mind a little bland just because it’s not over used. I probably wouldn’t go with a very common middle just because I wouldn’t want to really dull it down.

[name_f]Laurel[/name_f] is the name that let me know that I’m more swayed by pop culture than I thought I was. It wasn’t a favorite name for me, but it was a variation of several names for women in my life that I admire so I kept it on my list as a maybe middle name. The character in [name_m]Arrow[/name_m] ruined it for me. The name is so lovely and soft but it’s almost impossible for me to not automatically think of the terribly written and portrayed character on a tv show.

I don’t care for [name_f]Laurel[/name_f]. It’s bland and boring to me.

I can see that. I think the right middle would really give it spunk. :slight_smile: