WDYT of Magnolia?

[name]Hi[/name] berries! DF and I are a couple of years away from having a baby, but that doesn’t mean I’m not baby crazy, or that I don’t engage him in a name conversation at least once a week! :slight_smile:

We tend to have different styles for girl names, but we both adore the nickname [name]Maggie[/name]. I don’t want to use [name]Maggie[/name] as a full name, and I really dislike [name]Margaret[/name]. So, we thought we had to nix this one off our list.

But then! I heard [name]Magnolia[/name]. He loves the idea of having our [name]Maggie[/name], but remains ambivalent about [name]Magnolia[/name]. What do you think of [name]Magnolia[/name]? I would love [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Helen[/name] ([name]Helen[/name] after my fiance’s beloved grandmother, the kind of person we aspire to raise our children to be like.)

Pros:

• We get to have a [name]Maggie[/name]!
  • Not in the top 1000 for the past 11 years, but neither is it unheard of nor made up
  • A flower name! I love nature names. And it’s a pretty flower. :slight_smile:
  • We live in New [name]York[/name] City and my favorite bakery (and a spot we frequented often as a new couple) is [name]Magnolia[/name]'s. Weird to name our baby after a bakery? Or adorable that we can call her our little cupcake? :slight_smile:
  • There is at least one adorable song titled [name]Magnolia[/name] by JJ [name]Cale[/name]-- there is a line in it that says “you’re the best I ever had” which DF thinks has a sexual connotation to it which obviously we’re not aiming for… but I don’t necessarily think that connotation is obvious.
    -???

Cons:

• My name is [name]Molly[/name] and we’d wanted to avoid names that started with either of our middle initials.
  • The Grateful Dead song, [name]Sugar[/name] [name]Magnolia[/name]- is that about drugs? I’m naive!
    -???

I also added the movie [name]Magnolia[/name] to our Netflix queue. If we love it or find some sort of meaning that resonates with us in it, I think this one is in the bag. :wink:

Your thoughts, greatly appreciated!

I really like [name]Magnolia[/name]! I think its spunky and southern but friendly and pretty too. I wouldn’t worry too much about the pop culture associations with the name, those do come and go. There is a write up on [name]Magnolia[/name] over at Appellation Mountain, have you seen it? here is the link: http://appellationmountain.net/2010/03/18/name-of-the-day-magnolia/

I love [name]Magnolia[/name]. It’s so quirky and sweet, definitely a fresh and unconventional way to get to [name]Maggie[/name]. [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Helen[/name] is darling. This would be a great name, practically swoon worthy. :wink:

I hadn’t, thanks for sharing! It reminded me that I actually love the name [name]Nola[/name] (which can be a nickname for [name]Magnolia[/name]), but he wasn’t crazy about it.

I think his attitude reflects what some of the commenters there have expressed: they really want to like it but something is getting in the way. I love it, though, and will continue to lobby for it. :slight_smile:

I’m swooning! I just have to get him on board. :slight_smile:

I’m totally diggin [name]Magnolia[/name] lately! It’s my top name for my next girl (God willing)! I love the nn [name]Maggie[/name] and just like you, don’t care for any other version to get [name]Maggie[/name] out of. I say do it! She will rock that name! And the cupcake thing is sooo cute! :slight_smile:
Congrats on your baby girl!

As for the Grateful Dead song…almost all Grateful Dead songs are about drugs, haha. My ex is a total Dead Head. We went to Grateful Fest a couple of years ago and [name]Sugar[/name] [name]Magnolia[/name] was really fun to dance to (performed by Dark [name]Star[/name] Orchestra).

Personally, I love [name]Magnolia[/name]. I think it’s sweet and whimsical - and it gives you the [name]Maggie[/name] you want! There really is no down side here.

What a gorgeous name! [name]Magnolia[/name] is both elegant and spunky at the same time. I think it’s all-around wonderful. If you love [name]Maggie[/name] that it’s a great formal name. I prefer [name]Nola[/name] but I see your DF isn’t too keen on that, maybe he would come around. I have seen the name [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]June[/name] on Nameberry recently and thought it was so beautiful! [name]Magnolia[/name] works well with so many middle names. It’s a keeper (plus it’s my favorite flower).