Wdyt of Mirena? (Mih-rain-uh)

I really love this name, discovered it in the movie Dracula Untold. It’s pronounced Mih-rain-uh, although I have a feeling most upon seeing it would just think its [name_f]Marina[/name_f] spelled differently. I would use the nicknames [name_u]Rain[/name_u] and [name_f]Raina[/name_f], think they’re really pretty nature names. I think [name_f]Fleur[/name_f] works really nice as a middle name for it. What do you think of it, [name_f]Mirena[/name_f] [name_f]Fleur[/name_f]?

Also, what kind of names do you think would go nicely with it as siblings? As far as girl names are concerned I would think it would have an ethereal sound like [name_f]Isolde[/name_f], [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] or [name_f]Serena[/name_f] (although [name_f]Mirena[/name_f] and [name_f]Serena[/name_f] are just too similar). No clue what sort of boy name would go with it though.

I think it’s a beautiful sound, but it does unfortunately remind me of the popular birth control IUD (though not sure where you live, if you are not in the US maybe that is not a popular brand where you are). Because I know how the [name_f]Mirena[/name_f] IUD is pronounced, I pronounce it as Mih-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-nuh, but if I’d never heard how the [name_f]Mirena[/name_f] IUD is pronounced, I probably would assume it’s an alternative spelling of [name_f]Marina[/name_f].

Yeah, it’s all birth control to me. It is pretty though!

Oh, I didn’t realise it was the name of a birth control brand :smiley: I’m from the UK, doesn’t put me off though

It’s a tough one because even if you were to alter the spelling to try to make the pronunciation more clear, it starts looking like a typo of [name_f]Mariana[/name_f]! Luckily [name_f]Raina[/name_f]/[name_f]Rayna[/name_f] is a lovely standalone name though if the full version were to ever become an issue due to sharing the name with the IUD.

I think it’s very pretty and goes with the other names you like. I also love [name_f]Mira[/name_f] and [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] and I am quite fond of [name_f]Marina[/name_f] as well.

It’s beautiful! I didn’t realize the birth control connection until the other posts pointed it out. It is kind of a weird association though? Not bad just kind of awkward. But the name is so lovely, especially with the nickname [name_u]Rain[/name_u]/[name_f]Raina[/name_f]!

As in the IUD? No, thanks. I would always think of the birth control, but if [name_f]Mirena[/name_f] doesn’t exist in the UK then go for it.

All birth control, but I agree that it has a pretty sound.

I immediately think of the IUD. It’s a very popular brand in the US.

I like it and the spelling you suggest is best ([name_f]Mirena[/name_f]). Basically read with Spanish phonetic rules.

Another [name_u]Brit[/name_u] here. No, I don’t think [name_f]Mirena[/name_f] exists in the UK, but I still wouldn’t use it. The world’s so open these days; she’s bound to travel/have contact with people from countries where [name_f]Mirena[/name_f] is a well-known brand of IUD. It’s really not a great or pleasant association!

[name_f]Mirena[/name_f] has a very pretty, international sort of appeal, but there are plenty of very similar sounding names or names with similar characteristics that I don’t think it will be too difficult to find a less problematic alternative: [name_f]Mireia[/name_f]/[name_f]Mireya[/name_f], [name_f]Milena[/name_f], [name_f]Malina[/name_f], [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f], [name_f]Mireille[/name_f], [name_f]Solana[/name_f], [name_f]Parisa[/name_f], [name_f]Lovisa[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f]…

I haven’t seen the film but I think [name_f]Mirena[/name_f] has a pretty sound. I would pronounce it like [name_f]Milena[/name_f] with an R. I had never heard of the IUD. I don’t see it being a huge issue in the UK but it is something to consider.

I’d also suggest Miruna (I believe this is a Romanian name).

[name_f]Mirena[/name_f] [name_f]Fleur[/name_f] is a lovely combo, but I would pronounce [name_f]Mirena[/name_f] like Mih-ren-uh and therefore not get [name_u]Rain[/name_u]/[name_f]Raina[/name_f] from it.

I also think of the birth control :confused: Personally I think [name_f]Rayne[/name_f] or [name_f]Raina[/name_f] would be lovely on their own!

I think [name_f]Mirena[/name_f] [name_f]Fleur[/name_f] is lovely!