WDYT of Noir/Noire?

A friend mentioned it as a potential name and was just curious what people thought. Boy/girl, first/middle, what would you pair it with?

It feels a bit cheesy to me, sorry. I associate the word with various genres of books and film.

I would say girl over boy, but I could see either. It’s definitely not a name I would use and I’ve always found the word difficult to say, but I suppose it could work if they don’t mind the incredibly strong “film noir” connection. I think you’d need to pair a very feminine or very masculine name with it as the name doesn’t lend itself to one gender or another and a distinctly gendered name would balance it.

I’m not a huge fan as I find “black” a rather bleak word to name a child, though, I do think it can make an interesting middle name (at least in sound and look, I still wouldn’t use it due to the meaning and associations).
I’d suggest using Noir on a boy (especially as it’s male in [name_m]French[/name_m]) and Noire on a girl.

Theoretically very cool. Practically I think it would be hard to pull off.

I could see it going either way, perhaps Noir for a boy and Noire for a girl. But I think it would likely get butchered, cool though it is.

I actually think that’d be a super cool name! I think I’d prefer it on a girl as it reminds me a little of the name [name_f]Noor[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

Hey that’s cool to see this name/word come up on here! It’s been a guilty pleasure of mine for a long time. I love the sound. The meaning tho throws me off a little, like @opheliaflora said, black is a colour with some dark associations and that seems a little depressing to name a child. I do wonder if it could make a cool and daring middle tho, if you were a bold namer.
All the best.

I think it is usable, but I prefer [name_f]Noor[/name_f].

I love the word Noir as it sounds cool and smooth.

It would be a good name for a cat, but for a person, I don’t know. Maybe a middle.

[name_u]Leslie[/name_u]

I love Noir for a girl! It is beautiful vintage and mysterious. If you want it to be pronounced Noir id spell it just so. If you want it to be pronounced Noirie id spell it Noire.

Both are lovely. Id recommend middle namea that are both classic romantic and edgy. These should work with both pronunciations!

Noir [name_f]Katerina[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Iris[/name_f]
Noir Oddette
Noir Kaleah
Noir [name_f]Roselle[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Alana[/name_f]
Noir Variety
Noir [name_f]Monet[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Alice[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Alicia[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Anne[/name_f]-[name_f]Marie[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
Noir [name_u]Clair[/name_u]
Noir [name_f]Florence[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Lucie[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Melanie[/name_f]
Noir [name_u]Ren[/name_u]ée
Noir [name_u]Val[/name_u]érie
Noir [name_f]Elise[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Zoey[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Danelle[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Giselle[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Theodora[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Edith[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Opaline[/name_f]
Noir Fraya
Noir [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Klara[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Lucie[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Xenia[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Coraline[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Cleona[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Colette[/name_f]
Noir [name_u]Val[/name_u]érie
Noir [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Monique[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Mallory[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Melanie[/name_f]
Noir [name_f]Monet[/name_f]

For a baby boy id suggest
Noir [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
Noir [name_m]Zachariah[/name_m]
Noir [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
Noir [name_m]Louis[/name_m]
Noir [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
Noir [name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
Noir [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
Noir [name_m]Augustine[/name_m]
Noir [name_m]Piers[/name_m]
Noir [name_m]Eli[/name_m]
Noir [name_m]Silas[/name_m]
Noir [name_m]Clarence[/name_m]
Noir [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m]
Noir [name_m]Wesley[/name_m]
Noir [name_u]Mason[/name_u]

Sorry I would not name a child black. For those that don’t, someone earlier said its not so easy to pronounce-so I think you’d get people saying how do you pronounce noir/e? /nwha?/ and what does it mean? -black ? unless you have a more romantic idea. Sorry I would not entertain this.

1 Like

I quite like it, but probably just as a middle. It’s a little hit or miss when I say it, sometimes it comes out awkwardly so I personally wouldn’t use it as a first. But Noir has a rich, luxurious, dark quality about it. It reminds me of [name_f]Noor[/name_f] (soundwise) and feels more feminine. Something along the lines of [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Noire or [name_f]Ziva[/name_f] Noire.

I personally like it but can see it being difficult for people that don’t understand [name_m]French[/name_m] to pronounce. If you’re okay with correcting people (and making your child do so) I think it’s a great name. That being said, the masculine form Noir is a lot easier to pronounce for a non-[name_m]French[/name_m] speaker than the feminine form Noire, which has an extra syllable.

For everyone who’s unsure:

Noir, no-Wah
Noire, no-Wah-rah

That’s the best I can write it out phonetically but the r is technically present at the end of “wah.”

[name_m]Just[/name_m] to clarify, in [name_m]French[/name_m] the masculine and feminine form sound essentially the same. at least with my accent (Parisian). As a [name_m]French[/name_m] speaker, I find this a little odd, but I like odd names in general so I wouldn’t suggest not naming a kid noir. I also would not champion it. I quite like someone else’s suggestion of [name_f]Noor[/name_f]. Exotic, simple, easy to pronounce. Isn’t [name_f]Queen[/name_f] [name_f]Noor[/name_f] of [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] famous for philanthropy or something else interesting? Could be a good association.

For me this wouldn’t work, as I’m reminded of a shop in a [name_m]Detroit[/name_m] suburb named Noir Leather. It sold…how shall I put this…leather goods for unusual bedroom practices. As you entered the shop they had a stuffed toy rabbit wearing some of the things sold there. :slight_smile:

I would assume girl but could also see it on a boy. I think it would work best as a middle name. My immediate association is with film noir.

[name_m]Will[/name_m] your child be black?
All I can think of is a very old comedy routine where a black man says…They call us Negro, like we can’t figure out that means black! It was hilarious at the time, but shortly after we began to call African Americans ‘[name_m]Black[/name_m]’.

1 Like