WDYT of Pierre as a first name?

Hi again :blush:

I know that Pierre is a very stereotypical (and most probably outdated) Gallic name but I really love it! It’s my grandfather‘a name and it’s got me thinking. Would Pierre work as a first name for a boy who isn’t living in a French speaking country? I know it’s a stretch, but was just wanting to hear what your thoughts are on this. If Italian names like Matteo, Orlando and Leonardo are becoming increasingly acceptable for boys, then why not a French name like Pierre?

Thank you!

2 Likes

I think it would work since the pronunciation is pretty straight forward for most [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers.

2 Likes

Yes - this is true! I’m sure that most people would know the correct pronunciation of [name_m]Pierre[/name_m]. Thank you :grin:

I like it! Totally usable in [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking areas.

2 Likes

Thank you, I’m glad you also like it! Sometimes I fear I’m going a bit crazy in my quest to find boys’ names that I like. I’ve also come to realise that I’m very picky, particularly when it comes to boys’ names :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

I like [name_m]Pierre[/name_m]! I think is really underused and like how its easy to pronounce. [name_m]Pierce[/name_m] is also a similar option that is very cute!

3 Likes

Pierre has flair! It’s distinctive but familiar

2 Likes

Thank you so much :pray:t3:
I do love it and I especially like that it’s a family name but I do worry how stereotypically ‘[name_u]French[/name_u]’ it is. It might cause some eye rolling throughout his life and that’s the last thing I’d want! :roll_eyes::woman_shrugging:t2:

Thank you - I also think it’s terribly underused, which makes me wonder how suitable it really is for a boy to wear these days

I think it’s totally fine. It’s a name a lot of people outside of [name_f]France[/name_f] recognise.

2 Likes

I like it. It’s clearly [name_u]French[/name_u], but familiar enough that most people will recognise it and be able to pronounce it without skipping a beat.

It feels similar to names like [name_u]Claude[/name_u] and [name_u]Jules[/name_u] in that respect – people know them, and the pronunciation is pretty simple (although of course all will be “anglicised” at least to some degree).

It’s got that literary cred you love too – the first example that springs to mind is [name_m]Pierre[/name_m] Bezukhov from War and [name_u]Peace[/name_u], but I’m sure there are many more.

2 Likes

That was my first association, too. [name_m]Pierre[/name_m] is very usable.

[name_m]Pierre[/name_m] is quite handsome and perfectly usable. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes! Him and [name_m]Pierre[/name_m] from [name_f]Princess[/name_f] Diaries (even though he’s only mentioned once in the movie haha) were my first thoughts

My first association is racing driver [name_m]Pierre[/name_m] Gasly. I think it would work really well on a young boy.

2 Likes

Love it! [name_m]Pierre[/name_m] is second behind [name_m]Augustin[/name_m] for me for a son’s name.

2 Likes

Thank you so much @katinka

You’re spot on about me placing a lot of importance on literature when it comes to names!

So pleased to read so many positive comments about [name_m]Pierre[/name_m]. It’s making me feel less crazy. Hehe :joy:

To be honest though, I’m not feeling as brave today and a serious case of cold feet’ has definitely set in. I think it’s back to the drawing board :wink:

1 Like

Thank you @jonquils!

I don’t think I’m brave enough to use him up front anymore but he’ll definitely be in the middle spot!

I love [name_m]Augustin[/name_m] too!! Pity my husband doesn’t :slightly_frowning_face:

Yes! I Googled him and he is very handsome :wink:

1 Like