WDYT of Pierre as a first name?

Hi again :blush:

I know that Pierre is a very stereotypical (and most probably outdated) Gallic name but I really love it! It’s my grandfather‘a name and it’s got me thinking. Would Pierre work as a first name for a boy who isn’t living in a French speaking country? I know it’s a stretch, but was just wanting to hear what your thoughts are on this. If Italian names like Matteo, Orlando and Leonardo are becoming increasingly acceptable for boys, then why not a French name like Pierre?

Thank you!

2 Likes

I think it would work since the pronunciation is pretty straight forward for most [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers.

2 Likes

Yes - this is true! I’m sure that most people would know the correct pronunciation of [name_m]Pierre[/name_m]. Thank you :grin:

Thank you, I’m glad you also like it! Sometimes I fear I’m going a bit crazy in my quest to find boys’ names that I like. I’ve also come to realise that I’m very picky, particularly when it comes to boys’ names :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

I like [name_m]Pierre[/name_m]! I think is really underused and like how its easy to pronounce. [name_m]Pierce[/name_m] is also a similar option that is very cute!

3 Likes

Pierre has flair! It’s distinctive but familiar

2 Likes

Thank you so much :pray:t3:
I do love it and I especially like that it’s a family name but I do worry how stereotypically ‘[name_u]French[/name_u]’ it is. It might cause some eye rolling throughout his life and that’s the last thing I’d want! :roll_eyes::woman_shrugging:t2:

Thank you - I also think it’s terribly underused, which makes me wonder how suitable it really is for a boy to wear these days

I think it’s totally fine. It’s a name a lot of people outside of [name_f]France[/name_f] recognise.

2 Likes

I like it. It’s clearly [name_u]French[/name_u], but familiar enough that most people will recognise it and be able to pronounce it without skipping a beat.

It feels similar to names like [name_u]Claude[/name_u] and [name_u]Jules[/name_u] in that respect – people know them, and the pronunciation is pretty simple (although of course all will be “anglicised” at least to some degree).

It’s got that literary cred you love too – the first example that springs to mind is [name_m]Pierre[/name_m] Bezukhov from War and [name_u]Peace[/name_u], but I’m sure there are many more.

2 Likes

That was my first association, too. [name_m]Pierre[/name_m] is very usable.

Yes! Him and [name_m]Pierre[/name_m] from [name_f]Princess[/name_f] Diaries (even though he’s only mentioned once in the movie haha) were my first thoughts

[name_f]My[/name_f] first association is racing driver [name_m]Pierre[/name_m] Gasly. I think it would work really well on a young boy.

2 Likes

Love it! [name_m]Pierre[/name_m] is second behind [name_m]Augustin[/name_m] for me for a son’s name.

2 Likes

Thank you so much @katinka

You’re spot on about me placing a lot of importance on literature when it comes to names!

So pleased to read so many positive comments about [name_m]Pierre[/name_m]. It’s making me feel less crazy. Hehe :joy:

To be honest though, I’m not feeling as brave today and a serious case of cold feet’ has definitely set in. I think it’s back to the drawing board :wink:

1 Like

Thank you @jonquils!

I don’t think I’m brave enough to use him up front anymore but he’ll definitely be in the middle spot!

I love [name_m]Augustin[/name_m] too!! Pity my husband doesn’t :slightly_frowning_face:

Yes! I Googled him and he is very handsome :wink:

1 Like

As a [name_u]French[/name_u]-Canadian, I have many ancestors with this name. I absolutely adore it. It’s not too dated and many names from the same period are coming back, so I don’t see why [name_m]Pierre[/name_m] can’t.

1 Like

I’m so relieved you’ve said it’s not too dated. I’ve always thought it sounds really fresh. Perhaps because it’s not heard very often where I’m living, and also because it has that fresh, breezy sound that rhymes with ‘air’ :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like