Wdyt of Samantha?

Is this name too dated/80s? Nn would be [name]Sam[/name].

Thanks!

It’s still a pretty name, but in my opinion, yes, it’s a bit dated. I think [name]Samuel[/name]/[name]Sam[/name] is pretty popular as a little boy’s name right now too, I know quite a few. Those two things combined immediately turn me off about it as a first name, but I think it could be a great middle name.

I agree…its a little dated and bland to me.

To me, it’s cute and mostly timeless. I associate it with [name]Samantha[/name] from “Bewitched” more than anything 80’s, except maybe for the [name]Samantha[/name] American Girl character. I grew up in the 80’s and didn’t know any Samanthas till I started seeing babies with the name around 2000 but perhaps there’s a regional factor at play (I’m from [name]CA[/name]). I don’t prefer the nickname [name]Sam[/name] but to be fair, I’m not much of a fan of nicknames in general or of boy names on girls, so that’s probably why.

It is declining in popularity and a bit on the common side, but if you like it I think it is still perfectly fine to use!

If you love it, use it. It’s still a pretty name for both babies and adults. And it’s never going to get over-used.

I agree with [name]Rica[/name]. For me, [name]Samantha[/name] is very 1980s. I’ve heard it so often, that it’s come to feel trendy and overused, much like I view [name]Ava[/name].

Here’s what [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] wrote:

“[name]Long[/name]-popular feminization of [name]Samuel[/name], just dropped from the Top 10 but finally fading after overuse; originally inspired by the nose-twitching heroine of TV’s Bewitched.”

I do love the associations with Bewitched and the American Girl doll, but [name]Samantha[/name] doesn’t feel fresh to me anymore. I do think it’s a very pretty name, though. :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

It’s boring [name]IMO[/name], I still think it’s an okay name though. But [name]Samara[/name] is my favourite!

If you have a daughter why name her [name]Sam[/name] when the world is full or gorgeous girl’s names.