WDYT of the name Ellen Diane (nn Elle/Ella/Ellie/Nel)???????

I would love to hear your thoughts! Does this name sound old, but not old enough to be cute? [name]Both[/name] names are for family that we would like to honor. We could just use one name for first girl, and if we have another girl, just use the other family member’s fn or mn for a second daughter. But what if we don’t have another girl? We’re not expecting yet, but we will probably start TTC early next year! :slight_smile: Who knows, we might not have any girls. :frowning: [name]Just[/name] thinking though…
Other names I’ve thought of to honor both ladies:
[name]Elaina[/name] [name]Diane[/name] (I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Elaina[/name], but hubby isn’t totally sold on this one.)
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Diane[/name] (I don’t know if the spelling would make any difference to hubby.)
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Diane[/name] (hubby doesn’t really care for this one either)

What are your thoughts? Can you picture a baby, [name]Ellen[/name] [name]Diane[/name]???
Please share your thoughts!

I do think [name]Ellen[/name] sounds old, but in a good way. I think it’s ready to be used on babies again! I love the nn [name]Ellie[/name].

[name]Ellen[/name] [name]Page[/name] is very cool, so she is making her name much more appealing. [name]Eleanor[/name] is becoming super popular with the Yuppie crowd. I love [name]Elaine[/name] even though it’s out of style. [name]Love[/name] [name]Elena[/name], too. I think it’s coming back in. [name]Eleni[/name] is lovely. [name]Diane[/name] is definitely dated. I prefer [name]Diana[/name] or even [name]Dinah[/name] which is a different name but sounds so similar.

[name]Elaine[/name] [name]Diana[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Diane[/name]
[name]Ellen[/name] [name]Diana[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Dinah[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Dion[/name]
[name]Eleni[/name] [name]Diana[/name] (pronounced dee-[name]AH[/name]-nah) or [name]Eleni[/name] [name]Diana[/name] (pronounced the classic way)

[name]Helena[/name] is a variant of [name]Ellen[/name]. So is [name]Helen[/name].

[name]Helen[/name] [name]Diana[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Diane[/name]

how about
Elleni [name]Diana[/name]
or
Elleni [name]Dionne[/name]?

:slight_smile: good luck TTC!

I would go with [name]Diana[/name] [name]Elaine[/name]

Thanks everyone for the help, and the great suggestions! Some of you mentioned a couple of combinations I hadn’t thought of. [name]How[/name] do you pronounce [name]Eleni[/name] and [name]Elena[/name]?
Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

[name]Ellen[/name] and [name]Diane[/name] both feel very dated to me, but I really love [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Elena[/name], [name]Eleanora[/name], and [name]Diana[/name]. :slight_smile:

I know two Elenis (I think it’s a great Greek name), and it’s eh-[name]LEN[/name]-ee. I know an [name]Elena[/name] who pronounces her name like [name]Ellen[/name] with an a (el-len-uh), and one who is eh-[name]LAY[/name]-nuh.

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

I really like [name]Helen[/name], as already mentioned, it closely related to [name]Ellen[/name]. However, I feel [name]Ellen[/name] is much more accessible, unless you toy with [name]Helen[/name], and say, [name]Helene[/name]/[name]Helena[/name]. [name]Helen[/name] doesn’t feel right yet to me. [name]Ellen[/name] can also become [name]Elena[/name] or some other names like [name]Elaine[/name]. I really like [name]Elaine[/name], but feel it is in limbo with [name]Kathleen[/name] and [name]Janine[/name].

[name]Ellen[/name], to me, seems more classic, and like I said, accessible right now than [name]Helen[/name]. It is like [name]Alice[/name] rather than, say, [name]Katherine[/name] - it hasn’t been “always in fashion.” I like [name]Ellen[/name] quite a bit more than [name]Eleanor[/name], but they are similar in flavor to me, somewhat serious and studious, and if I could pick a nature of a name, they sound generous and helpful.

[name]Ellen[/name] also has sort of the age of a [name]Susan[/name], where I feel [name]Helen[/name] is somewhat older, [name]Eleanor[/name] older still, and [name]Elaine[/name] somewhat newer. As the older names become in fashion, people will want newer old-sounding names, and I think [name]Ellen[/name] borders fashion on the [name]Eleanor[/name] (popular) and [name]Ella[/name] (quite more perky than [name]Eleanor[/name]), and the fashion-forwardness of a name that’s in the wings to be popular in the near future (maybe up to a decade). It seems like when [name]Emily[/name] bounded to the top of the popularity charts, and [name]Emma[/name] took her time, but she arrived - a simpler “take” on [name]Emily[/name]; [name]Ellen[/name] is bound to come up when people feel [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Ella[/name] are somewhat played out.

[name]Diane[/name] - I agree this name doesn’t sound the least bit current, but it’s also very beautiful to me. For fans of [name]Anne[/name] in the other thread by [name]Jill[/name], I think [name]Diane[/name] comes across as that [name]Anne[/name] name you’re looking for with that bit extra. Not an [name]Annabelle[/name] or [name]Juliana[/name], but I think it has that cast of other [name]Anne[/name] names of the past, like [name]Joanne[/name] or [name]Deanna[/name]. I think [name]Diane[/name] is glamorous next to those. I also would like to add that I grew up with an unfashionable old yucky outdated middle name that’s actually beautiful and substantial, which I feel [name]Diane[/name] is as well (not as outdated and yucky as mine!). I do not think middle names have to be gorgeous models of the current taste or whatever anyone else thinks is ripe for exposure. It’s a great place to put a name you love that will most likely be the hit 30 years from now, like a fine wine! I certainly find that strategy appealing for the middle spot if you don’t dare for the first.

As an added bonus, E.D. can be called [name]Edie[/name]. I don’t like [name]Edith[/name], but I think [name]Edie[/name] is cute. For other nicknames for [name]Ellen[/name] - [name]Elle[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name] seem most likely if you leave it to chance. If you want a [name]Nell[/name], call her [name]Nell[/name]. They are all nice. [name]Nell[/name] sets her apart from other Ellies (from [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] to [name]Elliott[/name] and [name]Ellery[/name]). I think it’s great. I like a [name]Nell[/name] among Noras and bazillion Ellies.

so pretty, jlm!

I saw [name]Jill[/name]'s post about the pronunciation of [name]Elena[/name].
I knew a Greek family who pronounced [name]Eleni[/name] like this: eh-[name]LAY[/name]-nee. So pretty!