WDYT of the name Leia (pronounced Lay-uh)

I love this name, although not the association with the [name]Star[/name] Wars theme. [name]Do[/name] you think that would be a big issues if we used this name? I was thinking either [name]Leia[/name] [name]Rose[/name] or [name]Leia[/name] [name]Claire[/name].

[name]Hi[/name] there! Personally, when I see “[name]Leia[/name],” my first thought is indeed that of [name]Princess[/name] [name]Leia[/name] and the little buns on the side of her head. I’m not a [name]Star[/name] Wars fan at all, so that tells you something about how strongly I associate [name]Leia[/name] with the film. I’m guessing [name]Leah[/name] isn’t an option for you?

[name]Leia[/name] is cetainly beautiful, but if the [name]Star[/name] Wars association bothers you, you may want to reconsider this choice.

I almost forgot: I prefer [name]Leia[/name] [name]Rose[/name] over [name]Leia[/name] [name]Claire[/name], as while [name]Claire[/name] is a great name, when it follows [name]Leia[/name], I hear [name]Lay[/name]-Eclair (the dessert). Wait! Ahh! When I say "[name]Leia[/name] [name]Rose[/name], " I now hear “lay a rose,” as in someone laying a rose somewhere. Hmm…

[name]Leia[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name]
[name]Leia[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Leia[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Leia[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Leia[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Leia[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]

I prefer [name]Leila[/name] and [name]Lila[/name] to [name]Leia[/name] because [name]Leia[/name] sounds too much like [name]Princess[/name] [name]Leia[/name], and she seems dated. [name]Leila[/name] and [name]Lila[/name] sound so fresh, but I do think that [name]Lila[/name] especially is going to get really popular. But I would still use it because it’s so pretty!

Sorry, it’s the immediate braids-in-buns image. Maybe it’s a generational thing and her classmates wouldn’t be quite as aware of it as we are? I do really like [name]Lila[/name] or [name]Leila[/name] though.

not for me. My dh is 8 yrs older than I am and he immediately thinks princess [name]Leia[/name]… I don’t though. Maybe it’s the generation gap, idk. I know [name]Star[/name] Wars is always going to be around, but I’m thinking it’s not going to be a big deal when your dd goes to school.

I think it’s a beautiful name and it’s going to be all hers (:

Thanks for all your input! I really appreciate it. It was just a name that I always thought was pretty and would be really nice to use, but I think I just can’t get over the association of [name]Princess[/name] [name]Leia[/name], but I wanted to see if it was just me or if others felt the same. Thanks again for all your help! =)

well if it is any consolation. [name]Princess[/name] [name]Leia[/name] was a good looking woman. I also really loved that name and was going to use it for my daughter myself. But my husband said if I got to pick the girl name then he got to pick the boy name and all his boy names were TERRIBLE!!!
So I said he gets the girl names and I get the boy ones.
Also her school mates won’t know too much about [name]Star[/name] Wars, but even if they do… There are still movies out there with LOTS of other peoples names in them. And what girl wouldn’t want to be named after a good looking princess. You know how cool that will be for her when she watches the movie for the first time and all her friends are jealous that her name is in the movie and not theirs.

My four year old desperately wants to name our upcoming arrival [name]Leia[/name]. Maybe it’s just him and his friends, but [name]Star[/name] Wars is huge amongst the kids I know and they all will immediately make the connection. So if that connection is worrisome, I’d go with one of the alternatives mentioned in this thread.