WDYT of the name Russell?

Your thoughts

BQ: what middle name do you think would be good for [name]Russell[/name]?

I don’t love it, I can’t really put my finger on it. [name]Russell[/name] just doesn’t appeal to me. I feel like it seems a little dated like an amber or a heather. Sorry if this seems harsh.

I like it, probably because of the cute little boyscout on Up! I would tend towards a more classic for the middle something like [name]Russell[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] or [name]Russell[/name] [name]James[/name]

I like the sound of it, like trees rustling. All the Russells I’ve known have been preppy frat boys, though, but I think it could work on different sorts of boys as well.

I’m neutral about the name Russell. I neither love it nor hate it.
Middles:
Russell Anthony
Russell Everett
Russell David
Russell Benjamin
Russell Keir
Russell Nathan
Russell Oliver
Russell Quinn
Russell Quinlan
Russell Tobin
Russell Matthew
Russell Matthias
Russell Malachi
Russell Tobin
Russell Edmund
Russell Edward
Russell Jude
Russell Dominic
Russell Timothy
Russell Finnian
Russell Grant
Russell Graham

I know several, and it’s always struck me as a handsome, very masculine name that ages well. I like it! Without knowing more about your style, I’d hesitate to recommend a middle…

I love the name-- it sounds masculine and sensitive at the same time. One of my best friends is named Russell, and he’s awesome-- extremely intelligent, but also very strong and athletic (he can chop down a tree with one blow). He’s an Eagle Scout, a great singer, a computer whiz, and an all-around nice guy. Although Russell is also the dorky little boy scout from the Pixar movie “UP.”

Some possible middle names:
Russell Arthur
Russell William
Russell Tobias
Russell Phillip
Russell Clark
Russell Anthony
Russell Douglas
Russell Edward
Russell Nicholas
Russell Peter
Russell Kirby
Russell Crispin
Russell Henry
Russell Theodore

I love it. It’s on my list and I think it’s a good choice as it’s masculine, solid, and has a good nn ([name]Russ[/name]).

I’m really into names like this that are not trendy, not definitively classic (like [name]William[/name] or [name]John[/name]), underused and dignified. Often these seem to be names whose popularity peaked in the mid 20th c. and which have been declining since then. I don’t picture [name]Russell[/name] attached to any particular “type”–which is a good thing. [name]Russell[/name] could be sporty, nerdy, outgoing, bookish, funny, a heartbreaker–whatever!

I’m predicting that the overall reaction you get to it will be pretty neutral (it seems to be from the comments thus far), but oh boy will a [name]Russell[/name] stand out in his high school class amongst a sea of Aidens, Bradens, and Jadens.

. . . unless of course there are thousands of berries thinking along the same lines :).

[name]Russell[/name] is my Dad’s name :slight_smile: So I think of a professor who is about to turn 50. We actually call him Waffle quite often because my brother couldn’t say [name]Russell[/name] when he was little. Dad’s name is [name]Russell[/name] [name]George[/name] by the way- a cool combo!

I think “russell the love muscle”-so stupid, isn’t it? For some reason that was a saying in my highschool.

I like [name]Russell[/name]. It’s familiar, but I wouldn’t call it dated.

At any rate, it will be a breath of fresh air among all of the overdone names that people seem to be picking for boys. It fits the surname trend, but in an unpretentious way. Also, it seems unlikely that [name]Russell[/name] would be used for girls any time soon, which is important if you’re looking for a clearly masculine name.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Russell[/name] [name]Frederick[/name]?