WDYT OF THESE NAMES?

I’ve posted on here several times recently, but I have a few names that I would love to hear your thoughts on! I so love this site!
Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

What do you think when you hear these names? [name]Do[/name] you think they’re cute, classic, plain, out dated, ugly???

Boys:
[name]Dana[/name] (hubby mentioned this, I can’t decide what I think)
Clarkson (only as a middle)
Carrington (only as a middle)

Girls:
[name]Linnea[/name] ([name]How[/name] do you pronounce it? Any cute nn ideas?)
[name]Antoinette[/name] (family name - maybe nn [name]Annie[/name]???)
[name]Jocelyn[/name]
[name]Coralie[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name] nn’s [name]Cora[/name]/[name]Cori[/name]!)
[name]Coraline[/name] (too close to [name]Caroline[/name]?)
[name]Corinna[/name] (cor-inn-a)
[name]Corine[/name] (how do you pronounce this? [name]Cor[/name]-een?)
[name]Jessamine[/name] (pronunciation?)
[name]Ruth[/name] (Are there any longer names with this as a nn?)
[name]Teresa[/name] (ter-ESS-a)
[name]Roslin[/name]
[name]Ellen[/name] (family name)
[name]Ora[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] (family name)

Any thoughts? With some of these names I’m not sure what I think. I’d love to here what you think!!!

Boys:
[name]Dana[/name]: I know this is a boys’ name, but the “a” on the end makes it sound too girly for me.
Clarkson (only as a middle): I like this a lot! Very handsome.
Carrington (only as a middle): Not my style, but it could definitely work.

Girls:
[name]Linnea[/name]: I would pronounce it [name]Lin[/name]-E-a. It’s not my favorite, but some cute nicknames would be [name]Linni[/name] or [name]Nea[/name].
[name]Antoinette[/name]: This is so classic. [name]Annie[/name] is a cute nickname, but I also like [name]Nettie[/name].
[name]Jocelyn[/name]: I’m not a fan of this name.
[name]Coralie[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name] nn’s [name]Cora[/name]/[name]Cori[/name]!): Very cute and underused.
[name]Coraline[/name] (too close to [name]Caroline[/name]?): Also love this! [name]Cora[/name] is adorable.
[name]Corinna[/name] (cor-inn-a): Not my favorite.
[name]Corine[/name] (how do you pronounce this? [name]Cor[/name]-een?): I would pronounce it [name]Cor[/name]-een too. Not my favorite name.
[name]Jessamine[/name] (pronunciation?): This name looks made up to me, even though I know it’s not.
[name]Ruth[/name] (Are there any longer names with this as a nn?): I don’t know of any.
[name]Teresa[/name] (ter-ESS-a): I think you would have a hard time getting people to pronounce it this way. If you wanted that sound, I would add an accent to it, so it’s pronounced like the French [name]St[/name]. [name]Therese[/name].
[name]Roslin[/name]: I like the spelling [name]Roslyn[/name] better, but it’s harsh sounding to me.
[name]Ellen[/name] (family name): I like this as a middle name.
[name]Ora[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] (family name): Cute and very different!

My favorite is [name]Ora[/name] [name]Leigh[/name]! Good luck!

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I love being able to try these names out on here, and get a sense of how people will react. That way I don’t have to name my baby, and then find out what kind of reactions people will have. Not that I have to name my child based on what everybody else thinks, but it is nice to know what you’re up against.
Thanks for helping out! :slight_smile:

[name]Dana[/name] (hubby mentioned this, I can’t decide what I think): I guess that [name]Dana[/name] feels like a girls’ name to me, and that it’s very dated. I actually know a male [name]Dana[/name] who was always mistaken for a girl, and who hated his name.

Clarkson (only as a middle): I think of [name]Kelly[/name] Clarkson, but in the middle, I think it’s fine…

Carrington (only as a middle): Because of the name’s beginning and romantic feel, Carrington feels quite feminine to me.

[name]Linnea[/name] ([name]How[/name] do you pronounce it? Any cute nn ideas?): I know a [name]Linnea[/name] who pronounces her name lin-NAY-uh. I think it’s a very pretty name…

[name]Antoinette[/name] (family name - maybe nn [name]Annie[/name]???): I do first think of [name]Marie[/name], but I think it’s a gorgeous name.

[name]Jocelyn[/name]: I think it’s pretty, but quite popular…

[name]Coralie[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name] nn’s [name]Cora[/name]/[name]Cori[/name]!): I think this is beautiful! [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Cordelia[/name] or [name]Corinna[/name]?

[name]Coraline[/name] (too close to [name]Caroline[/name]?): I think it’s pretty, but I would personally be concerned about it being confused with [name]Caroline[/name]. I can see it as a middle, though!

[name]Corinna[/name] (cor-inn-a): Aha! [name]Corinna[/name] is here! I think it’s lovely…

[name]Corine[/name] (how do you pronounce this? [name]Cor[/name]-een?): I prefer the [name]Corinne[/name] spelling, and every [name]Corinne[/name] I’ve known (three of them) has pronounced it kuh-RINN. (None of them use the actual “core” sound…)

[name]Jessamine[/name] (pronunciation?): I think this is gorgeous! I personally say [name]JEH[/name]-suh-meen, but I’ve also heard [name]JEH[/name]-suh-minn.

[name]Ruth[/name] (Are there any longer names with this as a nn?): I think it’s a nice name, and I think that [name]Ruthie[/name] is a darling nickname.

[name]Teresa[/name] (ter-ESS-a): I think that pronunciation may be an issue, but I think it’s very pretty. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Tess[/name] or [name]Tessa[/name]?

[name]Roslin[/name]: I love all [name]Rose[/name] names, but love the “[name]Rose[/name]” sound as opposed to the “[name]Roz[/name]” sound. I’m more used to the [name]Roslyn[/name] spelling, but you may also like [name]Rosaline[/name], [name]Rosalind[/name], [name]Rose[/name], Rosabel, [name]Rosalba[/name], or [name]Rosalie[/name].

[name]Ellen[/name] (family name): [name]Ellen[/name] feels dated to me, but I do love [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Eleanora[/name], and [name]Helena[/name]!

[name]Ora[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] (family name): I only hear “orally,” which I can see being a huge source of teasing starting in middle school. ([name]Even[/name] [name]Ora[/name] on its own makes me think of [name]Oral[/name].)

Names that could honor [name]Ora[/name]:

[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Eliora[/name] (could honor [name]Ellen[/name] and [name]Ora[/name])
[name]Leora[/name]
[name]Eleanora[/name]
[name]Leonora[/name]
[name]Honora[/name]

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

[name]Ora[/name] [name]Leigh[/name]=Orally. For sure.

Again, thanks for all the comments. It’s SO helpful! Two of you mentioned that the name [name]Ora[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] makes you think orally. I’m so glad you mentioned that - I never thought of that, and would have felt horrible about the teasing! :frowning: The name was a very distant realative’s, and I just thought it was kind of cute. Not at all a name that I have my heart set on! Definitely won’t be using that one now!
Thanks for the input! :slight_smile:

[name]Dana[/name]: Personally, I only see it as a dated girl’s name…

Clarkson: I’m not a fan on surnames as first names

Carrington: Ditto

[name]Linnea[/name]: I really love this name! I pronounce it linn-AY-a.

[name]Antoinette[/name]: I think it’s really pretty, but maybe too tied to [name]Marie[/name] [name]Antoinette[/name]…

[name]Jocelyn[/name]: Not a fan, personally, but it’s a decent name

[name]Coralie[/name]: This is so pretty!!

[name]Coraline[/name]: I prefer [name]Caroline[/name], since I only associate [name]Coraline[/name] with the movie

[name]Corinna[/name]: Pretty…

[name]Corine[/name]: I’ve only heard of [name]Corinne[/name], pronounced cor-INN

[name]Jessamine[/name]: I love this name, and I pronounce it [name]JESS[/name]-a-min, although I think [name]JESS[/name]-a-meen is pretty, too (though I don’t know if it’s legit).

[name]Ruth[/name]: I don’t really like it… it sounds so harsh to me

[name]Teresa[/name]: Nice, not a favorite, but a pretty name

[name]Roslin[/name]: I love [name]Rosalind[/name]…

[name]Ellen[/name]: I think it’s really refreshing, but I prefer [name]Elena[/name] or [name]Eleanor[/name]

[name]Ora[/name] [name]Leigh[/name]: Orally…

I love [name]Linnea[/name], [name]Coralie[/name] and [name]Jessamine[/name]!

Boys:
[name]Dana[/name] - I think it sounds more like a girl’s name, and seems a bit 1980s.
Clarkson - I don’t love this name
Carrington - nice

Girls:
[name]Linnea[/name] - is this pronounced “[name]Linn[/name]-a-ah” or “[name]Linn[/name]-e-ah”? I think [name]Nia[/name] could be a cute nn.
[name]Antoinette[/name] - nice, and could be shortened to [name]Nettie[/name] for a southern feel if that works with your family
[name]Jocelyn[/name] - I don’t love this name
[name]Coralie[/name] - I prefer [name]Cordelia[/name], or [name]Coraline[/name] with the nn [name]Cora[/name]
[name]Coraline[/name]
[name]Corinna[/name]
[name]Corine[/name] - I knew a girl named “[name]Corin[/name]” pronounced “Core-inn.” It was very cute on her.
[name]Jessamine[/name] - sounds a little fussy
[name]Ruth[/name] - love this name, very classic. [name]Ruthie[/name] is a common nickname.
[name]Teresa[/name] - I don’t love this one
[name]Roslin[/name] - I like [name]Roslin[/name]. Would it be pronounced “[name]Roz[/name]-linn” or “[name]Ross[/name]-linn”?
[name]Ellen[/name] - I like [name]Ellen[/name], but really love [name]Helena[/name]
[name]Ora[/name] [name]Leigh[/name] - ditto the earlier “Orally” comment.

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival.

Thanks everybody for all the feedback - it helps a lot! :slight_smile:

Juliadear,
We aren’t expecting yet, but hope to be soon. Thanks! :wink: