WDYT of this obscure-ish literary name?

Estlin.

I kind of really love it. Years ago I saw it on a friend’s list, thought about it for my own list, and then I changed my mind and forgot all about it. I really love it, though, and even better, I love its literary ties! It’s E. E. Cummings’ second “E” ([name]Edward[/name] Estlin Cummings, I believe). I always loved E. E. Cummings’ poetry (probably the only poet I liked growing up), so it’s a great association for me.

I was playing around with it for combos, and I’ve been thinking about [name]Henry[/name] Estlin, predominantly, but [name]Beckett[/name] Estlin or [name]Brody[/name] Estlin might be a possibility, as well. [name]How[/name] does [name]Henry[/name] Estlin compare to [name]Henry[/name] [name]Oscar[/name]/[name]Henry[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name]? [name]Oscar[/name] is another literary name I’ve loved for a long time (for [name]Oscar[/name] Wilde). If I didn’t use [name]Henry[/name] [name]Oscar[/name], I was toying around with maybe [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] or [name]Brody[/name] [name]Oscar[/name]…

Thanks, ladies!

[name]How[/name] would you pronounce this? I would want to say it like [name]East[/name]-lyn which makes it sound really feminine to me, not that feminine names on boys bothers me in any way, I just don’t know your personal style. It is a little out there for me but I would not call it unusable.

It’s like EST-linn. Like the beginning of [name]Esther[/name] and the end of [name]Gwendolyn[/name]. :slight_smile: (Which doesn’t help my case that it’s a boys’ name, lol, but still.)

And unisex names on boys’ doesn’t bother me in the least. [name]Bailey[/name] and [name]Avery[/name] are two of my favorite boys’ names, haha. Besides, I would probably only use it in the MN spot. While I think people could figure it out, it does seem a bit GPish for an actual FN.

I am sorry but I really don’t like this. I am not big on -lyn sounding names for boys and this just does not seem very visually appealing to me. It looks really incomplete I guess, it just seems like it is missing something some where but I am not sure what or where. If you really love it, I think it could have MN potential.

It’s an intersting choice, but not my favorite. I want to like it, but something’s holding me back. I do like it in the middle name spot, though, especailyl since you say you love unisex names. So, if you love it, use it.

• [name]Athena[/name]

I didn’t have a problem figuring out the pronunciation and like the literary reference. Frankly, I think you can do just about anything you want for a middle name, especially if you have such a positive association with it. I would just watch out for unintentional words that could be spelled with his initials(I don’t know what is last initial will be), especially since the first initial is a consonant and the middle is a vowel. :slight_smile:

Last name starts with an “R”. So [name]Henry[/name] Estlin [name]Richards[/name]/HER wouldn’t be that great, haha, but all my kids will have two MNs, so I’m not too worried. The only problem might be if I used HEAR, and even that’s not bad enough for me to avoid. I was thinking maybe [name]Henry[/name] Estlin [name]George[/name] [name]Richards[/name] or [name]Henry[/name] Estlin [name]Gabriel[/name] [name]Richards[/name]. I like the idea of a [name]Christmas[/name] name, since my sister and I both have one [name]Christmas[/name] name somewhere in our names. I thought it would be a nice connection.

Estlin would be an interesting choice although I wouldn’t use it myself. [name]Henry[/name] Estlin [name]George[/name] [name]Richards[/name] sounds really handsome!

I like Estlin, but I couldn’t tell you why. It’s not my style and it seems ugly, but honestly I think it’s beautiful! I wouldn’t use it for a fn, but it doesn’t seem like that’s your intentions. Have you thought about SOMETHING Estlin [name]Oscar[/name]? I love literary names as well, although I typically steal characters. I’m not a fan of any of the fns you listen, but out of them my favourite is [name]Henry[/name]. Best of luck!

Estlin! Awesome! Personally, I prefer [name]Henry[/name] [name]Oscar[/name], but I love [name]Beckett[/name] Estlin. I also like [name]Henry[/name] Wilde and [name]Oscar[/name] Estlin, but I know you’re doing two middles, so [name]Henry[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] Estlin and [name]Henry[/name] Estlin Wilde are my faves.

Thanks, ladies!

Right now I’m leaning toward keeping [name]Henry[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name], or using [name]Henry[/name] Estlin ______–I’d like to keep a family connection but I really like [name]Henry[/name] Estlin [name]George[/name] as a full combo. I really, really like [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] _____ as a combo right now, but I also think I’m leaning toward [name]Henry[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name], too. I really like Estlin and the EE Cummings association, but I frankly like the association to [name]Oscar[/name] Wilde more. I’m not sure I want to repeat [name]Oscar[/name]… I’ll have to keep looking at [name]Beckett[/name] combos–maybe something else will jump out at me like [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] did earlier…

I know you and I typically have drastically different styles but I kind of like this. It seems more unique than your other names. I like the modern feel of it. You could do [name]Henry[/name] Estlin [name]Nicholas[/name], I think that would be a great combo!

Thanks, [name]Parker[/name]! I do really like it a lot and [name]Henry[/name] Estlin [name]Nicholas[/name] was an option I had considered. After thinking about it, though, I’ve found that I prefer [name]Oscar[/name] with both [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Beckett[/name]. :confused: I like the tie to [name]Oscar[/name] Wilde more than E. E. Cummings (just slightly… I love E E Cummings but I’ve never been much of a poetry buff, so I’d take the fiction/literature association over the poetry one anyday! Besides, Wilde’s The Importance Of Being [name]Earnest[/name] is pretty much to die for…), and I just like [name]Oscar[/name] better with both FNs!

I’m still in the process of narrowing my list from about 15 to 10 names, anyway, so there’s a chance that both [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Beckett[/name] won’t be on the final list, but I really do love them both today! I guess we’ll see. Right now I think I’m tentatively keeping [name]Henry[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name], and I’m playing around with some [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] combos ([name]Beckett[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Rhys[/name], [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Charles[/name], [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Oscar[/name] [name]Flynn[/name]…), as well…