WDYT of this potential sib-set?

I am planning to use the name [name]Hazelle[/name] as a first name for a future daughter since its a family name and there is a special story behind it. However, I also love the name [name]Delaney[/name]. [name]Do[/name] [name]Hazelle[/name] and [name]Delaney[/name] work as a sib-set? I’m afraid [name]Hazelle[/name] is too old-fashioned compared to [name]Delaney[/name].
Thanks!

First of all, I think [name]Hazelle[/name] would be so much better spelled [name]Hazel[/name]. That way she doesn’t have to spend her life saying, “[name]Hazelle[/name] is spelled H-A-Z-E-L-L-E, not like the color.”

Secondly, I think [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Delaney[/name] could probably work. But there are many better names to go with [name]Hazel[/name] out there.

Some ideas…
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Lilian[/name]/[name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Margo[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Clarissa[/name]

I totally agree with namelover77. In fact, I thought you wanted not the pn. of [name]Hazel[/name] but HAY-ZELLE… which, is just… which is the pn. you are going for, to be clear?

Yes I am confused too, if it’s pronounced like the old fashioned [name]Hazel[/name], then i don’t think [name]Delaney[/name] goes that well with it, if it’s hay-Zelle or hu-Zelle, with emphasis on second syllable, then I think [name]Delaney[/name] is ok with it, but still doesn’t really match that well

Yes, I know what you mean about the spelling and pronunciation difficulties. That’s how my great aunt spelled it though, so I think I’d want to keep it. I’m pronouncing it like the traditional [name]Hazel[/name].

I think your spelling of [name]Hazelle[/name] looks like a match for [name]Delaney[/name]. They sound find together, I’d go for it.

Everything she said :slight_smile:

And to now that I’m thinking about it, [name]Delaney[/name] used to be on my list and I thought it meant something about a grove of trees, so even the meanings of your two names go together nicely.

Well I’m glad people aren’t unanimously against using the two together. :slight_smile:
I was just thinking, what if I added the name [name]Vera[/name] (I pronounce it like [name]Sarah[/name]) to the set? Does that tie the two together better? I think it has a similar sound and feel to [name]Delaney[/name] but comes from the same era as [name]Hazelle[/name].

To go with [name]Hazelle[/name]:
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Ginger[/name]
[name]June[/name]

[name]Even[/name] though your great aunt spelled it [name]Hazelle[/name], I really encourage you to simplify the spelling to [name]Hazel[/name] --thus making your daughter’s life easier in this small way. It still honors. [name]Delaney[/name] is a unisex surname while [name]Hazel[/name] is a more feminine botanical name, so in that sense they don’t go together as well as some others might.