WDYT of this twist? Yay or nay?

[name]Anthony[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name] “[name]Nico[/name]”

Not pregnant or anything, just cultivating my lists again… This was my mom’s top choice for a boy but she wasn’t allowed to use it (my father chose to make their only son a [name]Jr[/name]. instead). I actually really like the name for various reasons. [name]Anthony[/name] just has been a favorite, and [name]Nicholas[/name] is after my same-age step-second cousin [name]Nicky[/name]…he was a Down’s baby, and his mom and my mom were pregnant at the same time, and both of us babies were born unhealthy…I barely ever get to see him anymore, but we still have a strong bond. However, one thing I don’t like about it is the potential nn [name]Tony[/name]. My surname and family are Italian, and [name]Tony[/name] is just too common a name among us (well, us Italian-Americans). I don’t really want to call him [name]Nicholas[/name] either, because I don’t care for the nn [name]Nicky[/name].

So…I was thinking about [name]Nico[/name]. I love it, and I think it would work. I can use a name that both my mom and I love, officially…but mostly call him [name]Nico[/name] (which also honors my mom’s cousin, who was adopted then given up for adoption again years ago). Is that too much of a stretch though? I’ve heard of [name]Nico[/name] as a nn for [name]Nicholas[/name] before, but do you think it’s okay, with his first name really being [name]Anthony[/name]? I would’t want to overcomplicate things for my potential son…

Definitely okay! I think [name]Nico[/name] is a nice alternative to [name]Nick[/name]/[name]Nicky[/name]. I like [name]Anthony[/name] as well. It’s fine even if the nn comes from the second name. I don’t think it will be complicated.

[name]Nico[/name] is nice! I knew a guy from Mexico who was a [name]Nicholas[/name] and went by [name]Nico[/name].

I know a baby [name]Anthony[/name], with [name]Tony[/name] nowhere in sight.

Also… [name]Nico[/name] is a cute alternative to [name]Nick[/name]. Go with it.

I know several Anthonys of varying ages, and I’d say only half of them go by [name]Tony[/name]. Though perhaps their families call them [name]Tony[/name] (I wouldn’t know), and I suppose a very Italian family might be more prone to use the obvious nn. While I’m a big proponent for putting the name you’re going to use in front, it can totally work. I have a brother and a cousin who both go by their middle names (one planned that way from birth, the other by choice when he got older). That said, they have both complained from time to time that it’s a hassle. I’m pretty sure the biggest problems they had were in the military when people refused to call them by their preferred name… and I’m rambling.

[name]Anthony[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name] is a classy combo, and I think your son would be happy to be called by [name]Anthony[/name] or [name]Nico[/name] :slight_smile:

I think [name]Nicholas[/name] nn [name]Nico[/name] is adorable! I have been considering it for myself but it didn’t quite make the cut. I think it’s much less complicated to just go with [name]Nicholas[/name] [name]Anthony[/name], nn [name]Nico[/name], though–if you’re calling him [name]Nico[/name], especially with another family member being [name]Nicky[/name], I don’t think people would call him anything but [name]Nicholas[/name] or [name]Nico[/name]. Everyone I’ve talked to have said it’s a hassle to go by your MN. I mean, it’s not impossible, and lots of people do it, but the people I have talked to wish that their MN was their FN, because they don’t like the frustration that comes with it. Ultimately, if [name]Anthony[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name] is what you like, it’s a nice name, and you should go with it, but I think it would be less hassle as [name]Nicholas[/name] [name]Anthony[/name], nn [name]Nico[/name], and it flows better, too, imo. :slight_smile:

But yes, I definitely think [name]Nicholas[/name] nn [name]Nico[/name] could work!