WDYT of using mom's maiden name as mn?

I have a friend who’s a mother to three kids with all same mn (her maiden name).
I don’t really like it. I think it’s okay to use mom’s maiden name as double mn.
But, what do you think?

1 Like

I think it’s a great thing to do. That’s what my parent’s did for my sisters and me and I like having both names in my name. I never thought it was fair that the mother doesn’t get to pass on her name to her kids. And I’ve never missed having a traditional middle name. Always thought middle names that are like a second name were kind of useless.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with it, especially if you like the name! And, I think it’s a nice way to incorporate the mother’s family name. I am an only child, so since I changed my last name when I got married, my father’s family name will end with me. We are considering using my maiden name as a middle name for our baby girl who is due in [name]November[/name], so her name would be [name]Emma[/name] [name]Whitney[/name] Cline. I don’t think I would use the same middle name for more than one child though.

I wouldn’t do it.

[name]Just[/name] because all the last names in my family are so unfeminine. They’re not even conceivably unisex like [name]Emerson[/name], [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Avery[/name], or [name]Harper[/name]. They’re names like [name]Smith[/name], and Kauffmann, and Chilson, and I am a big fan of using girls’ names on girls. So to me, it would be kinda weird to do [name]Violet[/name] [name]Anneliese[/name] [name]Smith[/name] R____ or [name]Isabelle[/name] [name]Aurora[/name] Kauffmann R_____.

I can find other ways to honor family, but I think it’s fine for someone else to do for their children. I just don’t like the idea for me.

I don’t know if my maiden name is unfeminine, but I’m sure it sounds awkward with English names. But, my husband thinks it would be nice, so we’re thinking of it.

I think it’s great, but I would only give the name to one child.

I think it all depends on the rest of the child’s name. It is usually given to boys from what I’ve seen. I will be giving my first son my maiden name for his middle name. It is [name]McLain[/name]. It seems like a masculine name. I know of someone who used their mother’s maiden name for their son’s first name. It was [name]Whitaker[/name] and they called him [name]Whit[/name]. I do have a cousin who is considering giving her girl her maiden name as a first name. It is [name]Parker[/name]. I don’t think children should all have the same middle name. Seems like a lack of creativity. : /

I love this idea! [name_f]Bindi[/name_f] [name_m]Irwin[/name_m] used [name_m]Irwin[/name_m] as her daughter’s second middle name. :slight_smile: