WDYT?

Someone I know just named their little girl [name]Destiny[/name] [name]Pearl[/name].
I’m not sure how I feel about [name]Destiny[/name].
What do you think of it?

It’s the new [name]Brandy[/name]. We have a name for this style in my neck of the woods, and that is “Redneck Fabulous.”

In my family we call overly fancy things Whoop [name]Dee[/name] Doo. My daughter, mother-in-law, and mother all love Whoop [name]Dee[/name] Doo things. Everyone else likes more plain things. The ones who love Whoop [name]Dee[/name] Doo also love very fancy names. My sister calls really snobby people the La Fongs as if La Fong is their last name.

[name]Destiny[/name] does nothing for me either. Strikes me as overcompensatingly “New-agey” and will date badly in 20 years or less. (think [name]Crystal[/name]).

But she does have the pretty [name]Pearl[/name] as a middle, so at least she has something to fall back on should she not like [name]Destiny[/name]. Personally, I don’t hate [name]Destiny[/name], there are other, far worse things out there pretending to be names. My biggest problem with [name]Destiny[/name] is it’s complete lack of nicknames.

I totally understand the nickname thing! ALL of my friends have nicknames, but what can you really do with [name]Erica[/name]? I always wanted a nickname, and have vowed that my children will have them. :slight_smile:

I love [name]Pearl[/name], really don’t like [name]Destiny[/name]. [name]Just[/name] sounds trashy.

[name]Erica[/name], I’m with you on the nickname thing, too. Everyone has always called me [name]Lyndsay[/name], almost no one has ever called me Lynz. I was just telling my husband about how when I was in junior high I had a class where we had to list all of our nicknames, and all I could write was [name]Lyndsay[/name]. It was sad.

ricamaca, I have a cousin named [name]Erica[/name] and we call her Errie (like Herry) and [name]Ricky[/name] (when we’re teasing). So there’s two for you!

[name]Lyndsay[/name], I feel for you. I had the same sort of assignment in school (around 6th grade) and hen I wrote [name]Lola[/name] under my name: [name]Laura[/name]; I got told that wasn’t a valid nickname. I ended up getting detention for arguing that anything could be a nickname and would not erase anything I wrote down. My Mom had to come to school and explain exactly how we got [name]Lola[/name] from [name]Laura[/name] and that she would not insist I comply with the teacher. Huzzah for Mama! :smiley:

Everyone in our family has nicknames that have little or nothing to do with their real names. For example, lately I have been calling my mother Ching-Gotch-Gook, the Last of the Mohicans because all the other family members in her generation either have died or they can’t walk or can’t think very well or they’re almost dead. She loves her new name! I also call her [name]Nana[/name] but when I was younger I used to call her Yogi because I said she was my guru.
I call my husband Ha Ha, [name]Lala[/name], Baddie, Mr. Fun, Mr. Angry and so on…I have made up songs with a lot of his nicknames in them. He pretends to like my songs. But sometimes he sighs.
My son is Petie [name]Kitty[/name] which has a lot to do with his name [name]Peter[/name], but then sometimes I call him Mr. [name]Kitty[/name]. The other day in church during the sermon the minister was talking about [name]Peter[/name] the Disciple. When the minister said, “[name]Peter[/name]” I loudly whispered Petie [name]Kitty[/name] and my daughter nearly died laughing.
My daughter [name]Laura[/name]'s nickname are all derivatives of Voovie.
The dog is Dogguh and Doggie-Dog-Dog. Her name is really [name]Roxanne[/name] nn [name]Roxie[/name].
The cat’s nicknames are [name]Dewey[/name], [name]Baby[/name], and You-ie. But his real name is [name]Moses[/name] nn Mokie.
I used to call both my son and his girlfriend Boobie but then they broke up. [name]Hope[/name] Boobie didn’t have anything to do with it!
Russians love nicknames, but we are not Russian. I don’t know what our excuse is. My point is that you can get a nickname out of any name.

In fact, I know a [name]Destiny[/name] who is called (blessedly) [name]Desi[/name]. [name]Way[/name] cuter than the full name, imo.

That was hysterical! :slight_smile: I completely agree with everyone. It’s quite the trashy name, and parents hoping to lend their children some class with this name manage to do the opposite.

My sister and I are nine years apart. When she was little she couldn’t pronounce my name so she called me [name]Ca[/name]-[name]Ca[/name]. Yeah…like poop! Its funny now, but at eleven its horrifying! Thank goodness it didn’t stick around. :wink: [name]Rica[/name] Maca is really the only nickname I’ve ever had. I actually got it from my high school friends BECAUSE I didn’t have a nickname :slight_smile: